• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

MDMA and Anti Depressants ?

90sdance

Bluelighter
Hi all, im currently on Effexor XR. I haven't been out in a very long time and am itching to go a little wild. I know MDMA and SSRIs/SNRIs can cause serotonin syndrome. So i have two questions

1. What anti depressants would be safe to take with MDMA ?
2. If i was to stay on Effexor (SNRI) what other euphoric drugs would be safe to take ? (would cocaine be ok ?)

Trycyclics are pretty safe for combinations, though the may lessen the effects of of other substances. In your case I'd try a NDRI (Wellbutrin and the likes) if your doc plays along.

I know MDMA and SSRIs/SNRIs can cause serotonin syndrome. So i have two questions

combining multiple drugs that elevate serotonin levels (such as mdma+maoi) can lead to serotonin syndrome, but it's different with ssris and mdma. mdma uses the serotonin transporter to raise the serotonin levels in the synaptic cleft, but the serotonin transporter is blocked by ssris. so instead of having too much serotonin floating around, you won't see much effect from mdma on serotonin at all. it is generally safe to combine ssris and mdma, but you shouldn't be expecting very much to happen, at least not in terms of wanted effects (many people report a weak dirty-stimulant-type high).

another point is that ssris have a long term effect: your brain adjusts to these chemicals by downregulating your serotonin transporters. so you don't have as many of them avaiable and in fact it is like a long lasting tolerance to mdma, possibly in effect still many months after stopping the ssri. of course not everyone reacts equally to this and the dose and length of time when the ssri was taken can make a huge difference, so some people report rolling fine mere days after stopping ssris.

Hi all, im currently on Effexor XR. I haven't been out in a very long time and am itching to go a little wild. I know MDMA and SSRIs/SNRIs can cause serotonin syndrome. So i have two questions

2. If i was to stay on Effexor (SNRI) what other euphoric drugs would be safe to take ? (would cocaine be ok ?)

I have one serious answer. Do NOT combine those two.

90sdance, what dose of effexor are you on and for how long?
combining multiple drugs that elevate serotonin levels (such as mdma+maoi) can lead to serotonin syndrome, but it's different with ssris and mdma. mdma uses the serotonin transporter to raise the serotonin levels in the synaptic cleft, but the serotonin transporter is blocked by ssris. so instead of having too much serotonin floating around, you won't see much effect from mdma on serotonin at all. it is generally safe to combine ssris and mdma, but you shouldn't be expecting very much to happen, at least not in terms of wanted effects (many people report a weak dirty-stimulant-type high).

another point is that ssris have a long term effect: your brain adjusts to these chemicals by downregulating your serotonin transporters. so you don't have as many of them avaiable and in fact it is like a long lasting tolerance to mdma, possibly in effect still many months after stopping the ssri. of course not everyone reacts equally to this and the dose and length of time when the ssri was taken can make a huge difference, so some people report rolling fine mere days after stopping ssris.
Good post. This about sums it up.

Cocaine shouldn't be noticeably affected by Effexor as far as I know and I couldn't find any negative experience reports. Thread carefully though, if you were to go ahead I would start off at a very low dose and adjust upwards to see if any negative side-effects occur. I say this because drug combinations aren't always an exact science, so it's best to put in some extra safety measures
I have one serious answer. Do NOT combine those two.
Why? Not doubting your comment, I could have missed something, so I'm wondering what the reasoning behind it is. Also wondering if you mean MDMA+Effexor or cocaine+Effexor?

Cocaine won't have any noticeable interaction with your Effexor, neither will amphetamine/methamphetamine. No idea about anything newer than that, tho.

Just for the record:
serotonin.jpg

Source: http://www.apsf.org/newsletters/html/2015/June/02blue.htm