• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Heroin May have got my first abcess.. assistance Please

OpiateKiller

Bluelighter
The other night while I was drinking (a lot) I also shot heroin through out the night. I’m usually really good about being sterile and cleanliness, use needles once usually twice or 3 times max, new cottons.. clean spoons etc.

The other night though I was pretty drunk so I don’t really recall my exact actions.

Right above where I shoot I have a very painful circle like area. It’s not red but I think that’s cause it’s really deep, I use 1 inch needles so it’s possible the abcess would be up to 3/4 inch deep..

This happened 3 days ago, how long should I wait before seeing a doctor? Is it possible I just missed a whole 2 mL shot and it’s causing the painful bubble?

It’s possible, when I used to IV I wasn’t the best at it (had good hygiene though thankfully) and missed more than I care to admit. It’d often leave a sore bump for about a week until it went away. This was really pure heroin though too which may have saved me.

Idk someone probably has a better answer but I’d wait a day or two to see if it gets any worse.

-GC

It’s possible, when I used to IV I wasn’t the best at it (had good hygiene though thankfully) and missed more than I care to admit. It’d often leave a sore bump for about a week until it went away. This was really pure heroin though too which may have saved me.

Idk someone probably has a better answer but I’d wait a day or two to see if it gets any worse.

-GC

Yeah I’m hoping you’re right and that’s what happened it’s very possible I missed a whole
Shot sometimes I’ll miss half but with drinking missing all is definitely possible.

Hopefully it just goes away in the next few days

Just please keep a very close eye on it, blood poisoning does not sound fun at all.

If from 48hrs after the shot it's still shown no signs of getting less painful go to the doctor or AnE/ER, 100%, you may need antibiotics, you could lose an arm easier than you think @OpiateKiller

I woke up today with a giant red rash surrounding my bicep area and arm.. going to the doctors this will be fun

Yeah definitely go in, man... from what I understand, that shit can get out of hand really quick. A good buddy of mine was laid up in his house with a nasty abscess on his arm a few years back... he didn't have health insurance and was afraid to go to the doctor. I went over and helped him a few times a day (next door neighbor), he couldn't get out of bed, he was in utter agony, and he was burning up with fever, I was really scared, thought about just taking him in but he made me promise I wouldn't. Eventually he drew it to the surface with salt, after days, and popped it, and what seemed like a gallon of foul-smelling puss oozed out, and then he got better. Scared the shit out of me, and he's really lucky. It started out as not seeming like much at all and within a day it went from a little sore/red to debilitating.

You're doing the right thing good luck

@Xorkoth that sounds hella nasty 🤢
Never knew you could 'draw them to the surface'
Sometimes i forget how lucky us lot in the UK are with free health care

Yep it blows my mind that any Americans argue vehemently against public healthcare, as if we aren't paying taxes, it's not a handout, it's the only civilized option. Usually it's the people who can least afford healthcare that argue against it, too. Makes no sense to me.

Yeah at least according to my friend, you can, he had had abscesses before, and told me that if you pack salt on the surface, it helps to draw it to a head so it can be lanced and drained.

Since so many drug users don't have health care here, plus the fact that until they passed a harm reduction initiate in the past couple of years, you could get arrested if you went to the hospital or called an ambulance for drug-related stuff, so many drug users have died because of the fear of seeking medical attention. It's sickening. Though I am proud of my state for passing the initiative, it makes it so the cops can't under any circumstances arrest you or anyone you're with when you call 911 or go to the hospital.

you could get arrested if you went to the hospital or called an ambulance for drug-related stuff, so many drug users have died because of the fear of seeking medical attention. It's sickening. Though I am proud of my state for passing the initiative, it makes it so the cops can't under any circumstances arrest you or anyone you're with when you call 911 or go to the hospital.
Thats fucked

The other night while I was drinking (a lot) I also shot heroin through out the night. I’m usually really good about being sterile and cleanliness, use needles once usually twice or 3 times max, new cottons.. clean spoons etc.

The other night though I was pretty drunk so I don’t really recall my exact actions.

Right above where I shoot I have a very painful circle like area. It’s not red but I think that’s cause it’s really deep, I use 1 inch needles so it’s possible the abcess would be up to 3/4 inch deep..

This happened 3 days ago, how long should I wait before seeing a doctor? Is it possible I just missed a whole 2 mL shot and it’s causing the painful bubble?
I woke up today with a giant red rash surrounding my bicep area and arm.. going to the doctors this will be fun

Sounds like cellulitis. Good call going in for medical care, bacterial blood infections are torturous hell.

Yeah at least according to my friend, you can, he had had abscesses before, and told me that if you pack salt on the surface, it helps to draw it to a head so it can be lanced and drained.

I'm guessing he used epsom salts? In my experience, it doesn't work that way :(

As a matter of fact, I'm about 95% certain my fist time in septic shock due to bacterial blood infection that caused my first endocarditis was due to an improperly lanced and drained abscess.

Ugh. yeah it was epsom salts. Well, not being an IV user, I don't really know.