• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marinol?

dzarren

Bluelighter
I've always thought that THC was HEAT activated which is why you have to smoke it, vaporize it, or cook it to get it's effects. If you just eat the weed will it still get you high? One time my friend swallowed a bud and farted an hour later and it smelled like weed, but he didn't get high.

But if this is truely so, how does that synthetic THC pill work? How is the THC in the pill already active without heat?

Thanks for any reponses!

One time my friend swallowed a bud and farted an hour later and it smelled like weed, but he didn't get high.
yeaaahh man, that "totaallyy" happened.. Big pharmaceutical isnt interested in losing more less any of their profit to a plant hence why the FDA approves utterly ineffective(compared to the real deal) patent ready formula's like marinol as opposed to the real deal Cannabis Sativa.

Heat does not "activate" THC, it is just the usual way to extract it from bud. It is possible to get active extracts without heat, for example Green Dragon (alcohol extraction).

didnt wana dig up an old thread, but i tried marinol for the first time today and 10mg was good, i did one dope shot about 4 hours into it, but i consumed it around 5:00pm, and its now about midnight and im still feeling it. So 10mg can be recreational for people with low tolerance, but like someone noted, it can cause anxiety for sure.

I had to throw out an entire expired batch at work :( It wasn't the happiest day at the dispensary.

Yes you can definitely get high eating weed. The THC is fat soluble.

I have nabilone which is synthetic(?) THC. I guess they tweak the molecule a bit and patent it and charge a fortune for the stuff. Pharmies for you. You can get high off it too although it's subjectively different than smoking bud.

Marinol pills are a soft spherical capsule filled with an oil that has the THC dissolved in it, kind of like eating cannabutter (Edit: doesn't feel the same as eating cannabutter, but the same way of getting the THC to absorb). I have had quite a bit of experience with these pills, and eating them definitely gets you high, but in a very different way than weed. It also works to prick them with a pin and squeeze the oil out onto a bowl or joint and smoke it that way (tastes like salvia, but is more enjoyable than eating them probably)

I took some Marinol my grandfather gave me after his surgery a few years ago,and he had 10mg Marinol gel-filled capsule.I took about 50mg and got pretty stoned after it took effect after an few hours.Not like a weed high but still a good buzz,especially in larger doses like I took.My grandfather only had 30 Marinol but he took only 3 or 4 of them and gave me the rest,he is cool like that.He smokes weed every now and then(hes 83 or 84) and gets really good mids from a local grower that charges him very little for an ounce which lasts my gandfather a month,he smoked with me before and it was better than most mids available on the street,and sadly we are not in a Medical MJ state but he does not care,he smokes when he feels like it,as do I...lol..I got high as hell smoking with him on his mids although I think it was more like lower grade High grade than mids...

i can direct u to a source

Nobody asked.

I've taken a lump of hash and grated it into a cup of coffee and gotten very high. You don't need to dissolve the cannabinoids in fat in order for them to be 'activated'. My experience completely disproves this theory.

Dissolving it in fat does help with absorption though.

Nobody asked.

I've taken a lump of hash and grated it into a cup of coffee and gotten very high. You don't need to dissolve the cannabinoids in fat in order for them to be 'activated'. My experience completely disproves this theory.

Dissolving it in fat does help with absorption though.

Oh really?
Your one experience COMPLETELY disproves an entire theory?
Come on, man.

^ yeah, so how did I get high? You might say, placebo, but I was so high I ended up in hospital. Sometimes the effect is so powerful it's hard to say it's just placebo, regardless of the fact that the placebo effect is quite strong in certain cases. The high was so strong, I was terrified and almost traumatised.

In the words of phrozen,

Eating bud alone, with no heat activation, with no butter, WORKS. It just goes down into your stomach! What is so hard for you people to understand???

Also, this is just my opinion, but I think marinol is a joke in comparison to real cannabis products. It might have had it's place in the past, but now there are much better cannabinoid medications available, such as Sativex, or... quality cannabis! Marinol's high is inferior IMO.

Haven't you guys seen Grandma's Boy? I haven't tried it, but it is known for people to put marijuana in hot water to sort of act as tea leaves. The Chinese did it.

^ yeah, so how did I get high? You might say, placebo, but I was so high I ended up in hospital. Sometimes the effect is so powerful it's hard to say it's just placebo, regardless of the fact that the placebo effect is quite strong in certain cases. The high was so strong, I was terrified and almost traumatised.

In the words of phrozen,

Also, this is just my opinion, but I think marinol is a joke in comparison to real cannabis products. It might have had it's place in the past, but now there are much better cannabinoid medications available, such as Sativex, or... quality cannabis! Marinol's high is inferior IMO.

I don't think I ever said you didn't get high..
I'm just saying that your ONE personal experience does not completely throw a theory out the window. It is quite possible that people can get high without heating their weed/hash/whatever.. but obviously it works better when heated and cooked in fat.. there is a reason why 'edibles' are made with fat.

^I think there has been a misunderstanding between us, because I did actually say 'Dissolving it in fat does help with absorption though.'.

It's obvious that we both agree you can get high without fat, but heating it in the fat, oil, butter or whatever helps.

cannabis needs a fatty lipid to bind to - simply throwing some buds into a kettle of boiling hot water is silly and a general waste - you're only going to get a fraction of what you put in.

Only method I can think of right off the top of my head that isn't directly aided by the addition of heat are wash methods: ie ice-has/bubblehash/ iso wash or green dragon - all cold extractions that require evaporation or a fatty lipid.

The heat decarboxylates THC-acid (which is not psychoactive) and converts it into THC. Not all the THC in bud is in the active form, so vaping or smoking or baking is necessary to get all the goodness from the plant. But you'll still get high if you sprinkle some raw bud on your peanut butter sandwich. Just not as high as you could have gotten had you heated the weed in an oven for 10 minutes first.

I've always thought that THC was HEAT activated which is why you have to smoke it, vaporize it, or cook it to get it's effects. If you just eat the weed will it still get you high? One time my friend swallowed a bud and farted an hour later and it smelled like weed, but he didn't get high.

But if this is truely so, how does that synthetic THC pill work? How is the THC in the pill already active without heat?

Thanks for any reponses!
thc is lipid soluble, marinol/dranabinol contains sesame seed oil, this is why it gets you high when you swallow it. Your friend that ate the bud, he needed to bake it with butter or oil or any other lipid packed substance