• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana withdrawal/depression?

filter2700

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I hope some of you can help me sort through some trouble I'm having. I used to be a weekly marijuana smoker for the past four years, usually it was at least once a day, the longest break I took was probably a month to pass a drug test. This started when I was about 17, now I'm 21. Recently I have been realizing I am not happy with having to smoke to feel normal, I never thought I would become dependent on anything. When I don't smoke I'm not happy, I feel terrible, and thankfully I am recognizing this is not healthy behavior. About six months ago I started experimenting with LSD, I have had four pretty powerful trips you could say (they were all about 300mcg), and this was an amazing tool to help some very painful feelings come forward that I had been trying to suppress with alcohol and marijuana. The first couple times I did it, it was magical and interesting, I felt this amazing love, euphoria, it made me want to weep, I saw there was really some beauty in life. After that though, it made me think about things I didn't want to, it made issues rise out of my mind that I had been avoiding, I can't explain it any other way than I was forced to think about certain things. I thought I could avoid them, but it turns out they were really eating my alive. So even though I had a few unpleasant experiences, this was oddly enough exactly what I needed. So I think a lot of people could benefit from LSD. I saw how I wasn't that happy, how my life was wasting away, how there is something else I need to be doing, and it was scary, I had to let go of some things. Even now I'm still not sure how to sort out what I kinda learned about myself, but the fact that I was even able to become more aware of how I was feeling is incredibly beneficial, a very powerful tool indeed.

ANYWAY, I do not want to be dependent on marijuana or alcohol, even though it is incredibly tempting because it feels so good. I'm not saying I will quit smoking forever, but for now I'm trying to get my sobriety back, and one of the hardest parts is since I have stopped, about a month ago, I have felt pretty terrible physically. I have started seeing a therapist and he has helped me mentally sort through parts of my life, I have not yet talked to him about my LSD use, so I feel good in terms of direction in my life, but I still feel a physiological depression of some kind. I get 9, 10 hours of sleep (even though I wake up during the night, toss and turn a lot, have trouble sleeping) and when I wake up I feel foggy, tired, and this feeling doesn't really go away, it lingers throughout the day. I literally feel down, lethargic, they are real feelings. My motivation is limited, although I am functional; I have a job, I am going back to college, I socialize with people normal, I laugh and can have fun, but I feel depressed. I have started drinking a gallon of water a day, taking a multivitamin, eating lean meats, cutting 90% of soda and snacks out of my diet, I workout twice a week, and after I workout is the only time I naturally feel energetic. But the day after working out, I return to this depressed state. I have stopped all LSD use and have no intentions of that kind of exploration any longer, although I don't condemn those who do obviously. Even as I type this now, I feel like there is a weight inside my brain dragging my down, I feel sleepy even though I got plenty of rest. Could these feelings be some kind of chemical imbalance? Is it marijuana withdrawal, does the LSD play a part? I'm thinking before I go to a doctor and get medication for depression (I'd like to rule out major depressive disorder if I can), is there a time period where I SHOULD start to feel more normal? A few more months, a year? Any advice here would be appreciated, I know this is long but I thought the more I explain the better. Thanks.

Besides quitting weed, have you made any progress on what you were trying to avoid?

I'm going through something similar that it's kind of scary reading this. I'm on the same page as you. Some days I get what I call this "black hole" depression. it's a depression that once i get sucked into it I am stuck with it for the rest of the day. I get so neg sometimes. Anyway for me its been good to stay sober but so far a week gone by and I still have some low days. I think its important to continue to stay strong and I think it might take a few weeks to feel "normal". I would like to think of it as a chemical imbalance. It felt very strange to not be smoking for a few days which I can understand after blz'n so much. Stay strong man i'm in the same boat as you. Things will get better. I do have some days where I do feel good and mind is less cloudy, hopefully more will come.