• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana triggered psychosis

Glaur

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I have just registered on this site, to seek, with much worry and fear of the unknown, your much appreciated opinions on what has happened to me. I would be very grateful for your responses, and please, please, please be gentle and don't feed me scary scenarios.
So, here's my story:

I had smoked marijuana on several occasions during my early twenties, and never had any unusual consequences because of it. Then, after I turned 30, I started smoking marijuana every single day for almost 3 years. I would smoke from 2-3 joints up to 4-5 joints every single day for 3 years. I was really hooked on it, but I never thought that it is bad for me in any serious way. I believed all the propaganda and half-information that is in favor of marijuana. The smoking did not affect my work or social life. Actually, nobody noticed that I was a pot head, it was my own little secret that I would only share with my marijuana smoking friends. My true friends and family were not aware of this at all. This overuse of marijuana left me craving for something more. Because I was adamant that I would never even try some hard drugs, I started drinking. I drank, usually hard liquor, every day, for about a year and a half. My family started to get worried about me becoming an alcoholic. So, every day, I would drink in the afternoon, and smoke pot in the evening, whilst enduring the stress of keeping my night indulgence a secret.

Then, on March 15, 2014, at the age of 33, it happened. I suffered from an acute, violent psychosis. I was at my marijuana smoking friend's apartment, smoking marijuana with 3 other people. My brain conjured up this belief that I was on the path of attaining a higher state of consciousness, like some super being, and that I had to bring my friend next to me (a girl), to this elevated state or I would die. All this was accompanied with intense feelings that supported this belief. I stared at my friend and tried, in all crazy ways, to "enlighten" her, I must have looked very weird and scary, she kept telling me to stop acting this way and kept asking me what is wrong. Because my "attempts" failed, I felt the sharp and incredibly real fear of death. I felt my time was over, and that these are the last seconds of my life. So, I attacked her, I slapped her extremely hard on her face and body, and she fell on the ground. Our other friends picked her up and they quickly left the apartment. I also fell on the ground, savoring my last breath of life. And then, I stopped breathing. After a few seconds I could breathe again. I picked up my things and left for home, my mind was still a mess. My friends did not call the police, rather, they followed me in a car to see where I was headed. I came home. I used to live with my mother then. When she opened the door, I immediately thought that one of us had to die, it was either her or me. This second sensation was, emotionally, extremely potent and distressing. I actually chose to give my life so my mother could live. I fell on the ground, my face covered in tears, shaking and gasping, struggling for life...To cut the story short, I was taken to a doctor that evening. The talk with her and the infusion she gave me, calmed me down. I could sleep peacefully. The next morning, I woke up with another strong, distressing delusion, I thought that my mother is evil and that she was trying to kill me...I was hospitalized that afternoon. I did not hear voices or sounds in my mind, I just had these strong delusions accompanied with strong feelings. The doctors gave me a generous dose of Haldol, Mendilex, Mirtazapin and Prazin and put me in a room. After a long sleep, I woke up the next morning. Because there was nothing wrong with me my entire 33 years of living, I revolted that they took my shoe laces and my glasses away. The same day, the doctor let me go home and instructed me to take my therapy every day and come for regular check ups. They gave me diagnosis F23.1

After two days I went back to work (I'm a lawyer in my country), and I was very productive. I could handle my obligations diligently, and I didn't have any psychotic symptoms whatsoever. For the next year, I took my therapy, which was decreased in dose gradually. I did not consume any marijuana, alcohol or other drugs except my therapy. In mid spring, with the permission of my doctor, I dropped the therapy and felt fully recovered. However, at the beginning of the summer I started drinking alcohol again. It never occurred to me that alcohol had anything to do with what happened to me, I blamed only marijuana. Three months of occasional drinking had passed, and on the fourth month I drank hard liquor, every day, for a week. Then I started to have psychotic symptoms again. However, the symptoms were not acute and violent like in the past, so I could hide my state from my friends and family. Nobody noticed a thing, but I was suffering greatly. I had delusions and false beliefs again, but this time I would put them aside and not act upon them. I refused to believe all the convictions my brain started to conjure up, even though some of them seemed to real not to believe. I am an adamant atheist, and I only believe what has been scientifically proven. This time, I also had intrusive thoughts that seemed not to come from my mind but from someone else's mind, a person or a god like being. This period lasted for exactly two months, and I treated myself with 2mg of Rispiridon every day. I suffered greatly for those two months, but then I recovered again. However, I still take 1mg of Rispiridon every day.

I don't intend to drink alcohol or smoke marijuana, or take any other drugs for the rest of my life. The suffering is something I simply cannot go back to. I just can't go through that one more time. I intend to give up coffee as well, because it's a stimulant.
My question is, will I ever be safe, will I stay recovered? I cannot explain the great pain I feel from worrying and expecting new symptoms.

Thank you

I'm sorry to hear what you went through. I'm not a doctor, and this should not be construed as medical advice, but I believe that you can stay safe and recovered. Although most people on this site will tell you to always stay on your meds.

This is by far the best article I've seen to date on the subject of cannabis and psychosis. It has 358 references and many links to other clinical studies. Gone to Pot – A Review of the Association between Cannabis and Psychosis

I'm a firm believer in Orthomolecular Psychiatry. The premise is that given the right nutritional molecules in the correct dosage, and an absence of neurotoxins and other substances such as heavy metals, pesticides, organic solvents, even some foods (BTW alcohol is a neurotoxin), then your body and your brain will heal itself.

When my son had his first psychotic episode, I was convinced that the things he was doing to himself caused his psychotic break. He was smoking cannabis and regular cigarettes every day, drinking almost every day, partying, not sleeping well, not eating right, not taking any supplements and getting stressed out from being in trouble at school on a regular basis.

While he was in the hospital, I started doing a lot of on line research on alternative treatment for schizophrenia. I came across a couple of websites that helped me out a lot. I would encourage you to check out the work of Dr. Abram Hoffer, who coined the term orthomolecular psychiatry. The idea has been rejected by the mainstream psychiatric community. However, mainstream psychiatric community embraces the use of powerful, addicting psychotropic drugs with horrendous, and in some cases, permanent dibilitating side effects. I used many of the recommended supplements for my son, who improved rapidly, after weaned him off the psychotropic medication (Risperdal). He did quite well until he started back into his old habits. My favorite go-to site is doctoryourself.com.

There is a new (experimental) treatment for schizophrenia that ironically comes from marijuana. It is a non-psychoactive component of the cannabis plant called cannabidiol (CBD). It has been tested in clinical studies, and is as effective for treating the symptoms of schizophrenia as pharmaceutical drugs, but without any noticeable side effects. Cannabidiol has a profound neuro-protective effect. The CBD can be obtained from industrial hemp, which has minimal amounts of THC (something you don't want). I'm not sure where you live, but it's legal for purchase in all 50 states. The only problem is that CBD products are not tested or regulated. However, if you find a product that think seems good, you can have a small sample tested in a laboratory to make sure you're getting what you think you're getting. There are some labs in Colorado that will do the analysis and test for THC, CBD, and contaminants.

I would encourage you to do some research for yourself. But I'm sure it's possible to stay healthy without Big Pharma's help.

Last edited:
^I'm sorry but that's bullshit and dangerous advice for someone having active delusions. Yes, CBD can be an effective treatment for schizophrenia, but from CBD-rich cannabis, not hemp. If you don't understand the difference you shouldn't be giving advice. And if you've don't live somewhere with a well-developed medical cannabis system (read: anywhere but California, Colorado, Oregon, or Washington), the right medicine is not available so don't even waste your time. I don't mean to be rude but this man clearly cannot stay healthy without outside intervention, I'm not even sure you read the OP.

It would be a good idea to go back to the Doctor. You are never truly recovered from schizophrenia, just in remission. Drugs are effective, you just need to take the correct ones in the appropriate doses. Like you saw, with therapy, it's possible for them to go away. You shouldn't have to hide them from your friends and family.

Last edited:
^ I don't mean to be rude but this man clearly cannot stay healthy without outside intervention, I'm not even sure you read the OP.

I’m not sure why you think Glaur cannot stay healthy without outside intervention. He clearly has excellent insight into his condition. He was abundantly clear in his narrative about what his was doing prior to his psychotic episodes. In each case he was either smoking or drinking in excess on a daily basis. It's not unreasonable to deduct that constant exposure to neurotoxins can cause psychosis.

Cannabis Sativa is the genus and species, which is the "scientific" (Latin) name for the hemp plant variety. There are many breeds of Cannabis,
The 3 recognized breeds are:
1. Cannabis Sativa- a tall annual which includes industrial hemp used for fiber and the ‘recreational’ hemp that people smoke.
2. Cannabis Indica- a short conical more densely branched annual, which is often cross bred with sativa due to it's slightly different affects on mental function when smoked
3. Cannabis rudderalis- an auto-flowering annual strain used for food production (seeds)

To add to the confusion, the term “marijuana” was adopted by the Bureau of Narcotics in the 1930’s in the United States to refer to all types of cannabis, regardless of how there are used.

Botanically, the genus Cannabis is composed of several variants. The problem is that there is no convenient species barrier between the varying types that would draw a clear line between them. In taxonomy, often the delineating line between species is that they cannot cross-breed. But different types of Cannabis can indeed produce viable seeds, not sexually dysfunctional "mules."

Cannabis strains which are used for industrial purposes have relatively high levels of CBD versus THC. THC less than 1 percent and the ratio of CBD to THC greater than one is considered industrial hemp.

CBD compounds may come from either industrial hemp or “marijuana”. For this discussion, I will use the term marijuana to donate the species cannabis sativa that is primarily used recreationally for smoking.

CBD oil that’s marketed on line to the general public, mostly comes from industrial hemp at this time (a tall, bamboo like plant). However researchers are developing strains of “marijuana” that that have less than 1%THC and much higher amounts of CBD.

The Mayo Clinic has published dosing instructions for cannabis sativa (which can be either industrial hemp or marijuana) to treat schizophrenia. They recommend 40-1,280 mg of CBD by the mouth daily for up to four weeks. The best part is, there are no side effects.

... Drugs are effective, you just need to take the correct ones in the appropriate doses…
I think it’s wrong to push psychotropic drugs on people with a THC induced or alcohol induced psychosis. This web site is full of people who are suffering terribly because of the side effects of prescribed medication. Many are permanently disabled. There are no tests to definitively determine what is happening in the brain of a person with ‘Schizophrenia’ or any other so-called mental illness. There is no standard treatment. It’s a crap shoot. Doctors “try” different meds that they think will help. Then if you get convulsions or get depressed or develop tardive dyskinesia, they try some other drug.

Last edited: