• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana Pill May Be Better for Pain Relief than Smoked Marijuana

What's wrong with legalizing it and eating the old fashioned way? Nothing is "wrong" with it. But it's kind of like eating opium instead of taking an MScontin. Dosage control issues, etc.

I thought we were talking about cannabis, not opiates?

I haven't seen much believable evidence that the pharmaceutical analogues of cannabis are any better than the genuine article, though they are certainly more expensive.

One huge problem with Dronabinol is that it is synthesized from CBD which is extracted from 0.3% THC industry hemp (at least here in the EU) which makes it ridiculously more expensive than if you would extract the THC straight from potent Cannabis.

I am prescribed 5s of Marinol for pain and nausea control. Not only does it help so much w those issues, but to me it feels just like smoking a nice joint from the olden days- before all the pot got so hopped up and intense that I couldn't enjoy it anymore. Just my $.02.

In contrast, there's no anti-morphine snobbery from opium smokers.
Morphine/herion were among my least favorite opiates... but then again I didn't smoke that much opium for the aforementioned reason.

I think that a patient as well as a desirous human should have the choice between many strains, including ones they grow themselves, and the pill... then everyone can decide the end to this debate for themselves.. by what they choose to use to provide the relief or effect they desire.

I'm wondering whether there's a connection between this study being done/published, and the fact that it appears weed is on its way to eventually becoming legalized. Is this big pharma's way of trying to profit from the medical use of THC? Perhaps they're thinking that one day their product will be approved by the FDA and other nations for more types of pain than smoking weed ever will.

This is not directed at anyone in particular, but don't underestimate these greedy capitalist snakes (big pharma). They've been at this for a long time now and know how to push the right buttons (so to speak) to get even the most conservative and stubborn doctors to accept that synthetic THC is the way to go for certain types of pain.

P.S, for what it's worth, I haven't smoked weed in years, nor would I want to as I'm constantly offered the stuff (many times pro bono) but I refuse because I can't tolerate the paranoia/anxiety I get from it anymore. Odd... I can now smoke it again without any problems.

Last edited:
Looking for info regarding the use of marinol for pain control. Doctor wrote the prescription but insurance says no-- got to compile research for an appeal. I paid and it's woefully weaker than I was expecting then again I got 5s instead of 10s so I don't know what to really expect.

Thanks.

But this study is not the typical category funded by Pharma.

It's comparing cannabis (not patentable, even in principle) with a drug that has been marketed for some time already. It's not comparing a novel compound to competitors product. Nor is it an overly profitable drug period.

No way if it's not "natural" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_nature it has to be a big pharma conspiracy maaaaaannnnnn