• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Marijuana Might Kill Cancer

Bluelight Crew
http://www.newsweek.com/marijuana-might-kill-cancer-1289

Recent research gives new hope and meaning to the phrase “medical marijuana.”

In a paper published in October’s Anticancer Research, Wai Liu, a senior research fellow at St. George’s University of London, reports that he found six cannabinoids – active components of the cannabis plant – that can slow or outright kill cancer cells.

Though THC is the main cannabinoid associated with marijuana and has been recognized to have a “really strong anti-cancer effect,” Liu says, “it’s not a good candidate for therapeutic use because of its psychoactive properties.”

He examined whether several lesser-known cannabinoids would impact the growth of leukemia cells both individually and in combination.

The result?

“They’re good at killing cancer cells,” he says. And “because they’re not psychoactive, you can actually have the benefits associated with anti-cancer technology but not have the feelings of high, which are associated with THC.”

Some cannabinoids are better at killing cancer cells and others are better at slowing their growth, so combining certain cannabinoids has a heightened effect. “It’s like a double hit,” he says.

Plus, they do not appear to target all rapidly dividing cells the way chemotherapy or radiation does – which leads to side effects, such as hair loss. Rather, they appear to attack just the cancer.

But don’t fire up a joint quite yet, Liu cautions. “I’m not suggesting that people should smoke it. Smoking is a bad thing by a chemist’s point of view. You can do a lot more harm than good. You can lose the essence of what makes an excellent anti-cancer agent by smoking it.”

The story continues: http://www.newsweek.com/marijuana-might-kill-cancer-1289

This must be like every stoners dream.
Certainly a good way to show that we've known marijuana to be a medicine all along.
If cdbs kill cancer why is there not millions more going into funding?

I don't exactly see much harm to a bit of a psycoactive touch with your medicine.
Especially if you are strugglin with cancer I'm sure it could be benificial in more ways then just breaking down cancer cells.

good to see he also states that smoking destroys many of the canabinoids...and obv is harmful inhaling the combusted product of anything. too bad big pharma will never come around on this one since its a plant and they could care less about natural resources except anything that might be used to make precursor chems for synthetic drugs. who needs opium poppies when you can synth gallons of fentanyl. and i dont think its news these days that they want to cure anything, since there is so much more money in treatment. fucked up.

THC doesn't actually make you feel good. Some researchers haven't done their research.;

I love it when it appears that something allot of us have spent allot of time and effort into is turning out so much better then we ever imagined. <3=D

Last edited:
It's nice to see good press, but it's too bad the article fails to mention that "marijuana might kill cancer" is something we've known since the 1970's.

^ Yes, I thought the same thing.
There is a mounting body of evidence that cannabis is a very effective anti-cancer medicine, especially when one vaporizes or eats/drinks it, as opposed to smoking it. The reporter acts like this is the first evidence s/he has ever heard of. Do some more homework, reporter, before you write.

It's disgusting how they just gloss over THC's "really strong" anti-cancer effects simply because it is psychoactive. In spite of the fact that THC's therapeutic index is so high it's considered non-toxic, the public is duped into having their bodies raped and destroyed by over-priced chemotherapy drugs.

^ Yes, you are very right about that.

Also, chemotherapy drugs are pretty damn psychoactive, from what I have seen. When my mother took them, she was a fucking mess for several days afterward, mentally and emotionally. I haven't heard anyone saying that we should stop using them because they are psychoactive.

Last edited:
Eh, Slim, you mean unpleasantly psychoactive...yeah?

If it causes DYSPHORIA then it's fine, but EUPHORIA, hell no! We can't let you use something that makes you feel nice...

Remember, those in power hate the idea of pleasure for anyone bar themselves! It's human nature. Those in power can be cunts by nature - that's how it goes. If it fucks you up that's good, in their opinion. More power to them!

If I were able to call the shots in the corridors of power, and I knew that cannabis cured cancer or even half cured it, I'd legalize it overnight. But then again, I'm not a cunt like the vast majority of them, and most importantly I'm not a greedy cunt, which is just as bad. They know, they understand, but they just don't give a fuck. Hence why I refer to them as cunts.

^ I can dig what you are saying. You are probably right about the dysphoria / euphoria thing, but I think that there is a large danger that, if you began to call the shots, you too would become a cunt!

The Israelis are leaps and bounds ahead of most of the world when it comes to research in the field. They don't seem to have a problem with thc's ability to produce euphoria.

The fact that this drug is so useful is the exact reason it is criminalized. Sad.

More and more proof yet it still remains schedule 1 in the States. How on earth does that make sense.