• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana expiration date

prozapro

Greenlighter
I have a prescription for Medical Marijuana. It has a short half-handed expiry date. I have enough for 2-3 years. Can I get poisoned after the expiration date or does it produce harmful substances? Will it lower at least slightly in value?

No compounds in cannabis will break down or oxidize into anything toxic. Some people actually say it gets better with age (to a point).

Just as long as it is stored properly, it will be fine. Three years might be a bit of a stretch though IMO. By one to one and a half years, you might want some fresh stuff.

as long as its completely dried out and stored in a glass jar it should be ok. Any slightly wet weed stored first before air drying will grow mold

Salutations ProzaPro,

Can I get poisoned after the expiration date...

The same as before if it's already been poisoned with non-detection concentrations of pesticide soups. Which means ideally it may be a good idea to wait for eventual recalls before you break the seal...

Good day, have fun!! ☮

In general, if you are only dealing with flowers, the only thing you might lose over 3 years is potency, smell and color. Flowers are generally safe to consume with no expiration.

For food grade oils and edibles, it is strongly recommended to follow the expiration date due to the possibility of it actually going bad for you. The same is also true for high concentrations of terpenes. If you are storing large quantities of terpenes, it's recommended to not store them for more than 2 years.

MMJ usually has an expiration date on the packaging so you know how long it's good for. Again, if it's food grade, you probably want to follow the expiration date. If it's flower, don't worry about it.

I have a prescription for Medical Marijuana. It has a short half-handed expiry date. I have enough for 2-3 years. Can I get poisoned after the expiration date or does it produce harmful substances? Will it lower at least slightly in value?

Aside for Baked Edibles, for which I would follow within a week or so of the Expiration Date as it isn't only Cannabis Flowers...
Otherwise, the only thing that will happen to Cannabis Flowers (what you Vaporize and/or Smoke...) is that it will Dry up and it's THC Acid will Slowly Transform into THC and eventually into CBN.
One reason some people might say that it gets better with Age, might actually be the Higher % of CBN and by extension somewhat lower % of THC (which has Oxidized to Form CBN).
CBN is a Cannabinoid Compound that is responsible for most of the Sedative effects of Cannabis and people who use it for Sleep Purposes generally appreciate the higher CBN Content of some Strains, or just "any" Strain which might be left to age and in turn, Transform some of its THC into CBN...

Cheers and I hope this might help :)
SunnyHours.

The original Red no 2 packaging is plastic and is better in the jar right? If I put the original Red no 2 packaging in the jar, will it be worse than in the jar itself? When it comes to long validity?

Cannabis should be cured correctly and the way You store it really should not matter; if You get properly cured Cannabis.
Most Cannabis around is cured properly.

If You live in a very humid place and You store it incorrectly, You will build mold.

What kind of Cannabis are You using?... Is it trim/shake? Or is it flower/ buds?

Flower/ Buds keep much longer than trim. Most people do not cure trim correctly. If You do. There are no worries.