• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana Anxiety?

tpt24

Greenlighter
First post ever. So, I'm 20 years old. I've been smoking since i was 15; Smoking heavily since 16 or 17. I became sort of psychologically addicted to weed until about 6 months ago. I smoked all day, every day. If i couldnt smoke, I would be in terrible moods. I wouldn't want to do anything. 6 months ago, i quit for about a month. I guess it went okay, nonetheless i started smoking again. However, i do not smoke nearly as much as i once did. Once or twice a day now. My reason for quitting was because i seemed to have anxiety? I had always been a calm person. A doctor told me that a traumatic event could have given me an anxiety disorder. It's been bad for a while now, however recently it has gotten 10 times worse. My girlfriend, Mother, & the few friends i still have, (who all know I smoke) have pointed out in the last month I have been acting differently. Now, after I come down, My anxiety is at all time highs. Even while I am high, i am sometimes paranoid. I sweat while i am at work, & am nervous to do things. Such as go to college for example. I get bad headaches, my palms sweat, & my neck gets really stiff as I come down. I get agitated easily, & my outlook is extremely negative. I try to be positive, but man.. I swear it's like everything goes against me. My question is.. What is the reason behind this? Traumatic event like my doctor said? & is the weed making it worse? How can i attempt to prevent these symptoms? I have never abused xanax. I have taken it occasionally, never more than 2 2mg bars, & it definitely helped. I live in a state where we do not have legal marijuana, & the medical marijuana protocol is not in effect yet. So yes, i buy weed illegally. I'm at my wit's end... i really don't know what to do! Should i quit altogether? I want to enjoy marijuana without the thought of it being a horrible experience as i come down. Any suggestions or tips to help this situation would be appreciated guys.

Hmmm maybe you have been getting some unflushed weed? When i would get headaches or a stiff neck it was cause i would smoke some homegrown stuff that was not flushed or cured properly. Try to get bud from a different person.

Are you comfortable where you smoke, like is the setting good?

Is the temperature comfortable where you smoke?

Are you smoking hybrids, sativa or indica when this happens?

A lot of people who smoke weed for 5+ years start getting negative effects, me being one. If i smoke it now it always sends me into a panic attack so i gave it up a year ago after 13 years smoking.

Maybe you are getting mild panic attacks when you smoke, it could be caused from going through some stuff in your life and bud just makes it surface, like stress or say a traumatic event that you often think about or maybe it's just a heavy work/school load, try to get things in order, don't worry and have a clear mind before toking.

Are you taking any kind of medicine? That could interact with it...

Maybe you should go to the doctor for a check up, let them draw your blood and test for any problems like say high/low blood pressure, low levels of a certain vitamin in your body, etc.. Weed does increase blood pressure in some people and lowers it in others and that could be what is making you sweat and feel stiff, might not be but you should go get a check up to be safe.

Make sure you drink enough water and have a small meal before toking up.

Also dont take xanax unless you really have to, its gonna cause even more probs in the long run.

Try to lay off for a year or so (if possible) and try toking again but with a real low dose like one puff and see if that helps, hey maybe it just dont agree with you anymore, your body might reject it now, maybe you need to give your brain a break, could be a health problem, maybe your just at a point in life where your too stressed, maybe its just bad weed your getting and thats the prob, when and if you take a break and smoke again go to the doctor first for check up, get bud from somebody else you trust, stay in a cool place and don't do anything and have a clear mind and try a indica strain, they always seem better for anxiety than sativa, try to stay away from sativa strains, unless you been smoking indica and it's just too much for you maybe you should try a sativa if thats the case but beware they often cause more anxiety.

BTW i use to sweat like crazy as get sweaty palms when i would smoke, like almost everytime, i would just turn the air on when i toked and it would go away, i often got sweaty palms when i was really thinking about something or playing the game, when i really focused and was really baked is when i would sweat, maybe just try to relax in the air and watch tv and do nothing when you toke, also i should note after i stopped smoking bud like when i got my first panic attack i went to the doc and they said i had high blood pressure but idk if that was from not smoking and being stressed or if i had it all along.

Last edited:
Thank you for this reply. Other forums i posted on i was called an addict, "damage is already done you now have to live with half your brain cells", "Weed is illegal for a reason".... the usual. lol but thank you, these are very good things to think about. I smoke outside as a courtesy & its kind of hot right now so that may be it. A reply on another forum said it may not be the weed at all; could have a hyper thyroid as that was his situation. I genuinely thank you for this. Best reply I've gotten. I will definitely see if it's a health problem before. If not, goodbye marijuana. I hate this anxiety & I don't want to be a zombie prescribed xanax for the rest of my life.

It could be that your dealer started getting his stuff from a different place..strains with higher THC and lower CBD are more likely to cause anxiety

anxiety and/or many other negative side effects may develop after smoking for a while..it happened to me and some of my friends.. Most stopped smoking and are completely fine after quitting..I stopped for a while and got my mind right about things and the anxiety got better..smoking wasn't the same when I was really anxious I would get paranoid about my heart.

.basically u will be fine with time off of smoking or even smoking the minimal amount once or twice a week..weed is a psychedelic and it will mess with your psyche if u over do it but your mind is fluid and can change easily with some work

when I had to get the bud induced anxiety under control it led me down a path that had many self discoveries and a start of what I would call a more spiritual path..its powerful when u learn that u are in control of your mood and how u feel inside at all times..good luck, u will be fine %)

Last edited:
I don't know man, there was a time when I blamed everything wrong with me on weed. Then, I grew up and realized that I had problems without the smoking habit too. The only way that life lesson could happen was for me to quit weed completely for a few years and seek treatment for my problems (or to see if I would get better over time, but actually I continuously worsened). The idea was to see what I was like without weed. Plus, I was smoking compulsively at that point so I had to stop anyway.

It never went away, the bad moods, lack of concentration,... even after a good year or longer. It turns out that I just have trouble concentrating, and weed helps that (in moderation). It turns out that I am severely depressed and weed helps mask that. There were other problems such as panic attacks that surfaced which I didn't even know I had before. It turns out that pot has pretty much nothing to do with anything whatsoever, it bears no impact on any of my issues except that it really helps with my depression and digestion. And just leads to a more chill mentality about life somehow. I don't feel that I need a reason to smoke it. It is just something that I smoke, and do not plan on stopping. Like how my dad drinks a couple beers at the end of the day and would probably be moody as hell without that. Just like I do not plan on stop drinking kombucha because I love it way too much.

I now smoke and vaporize weed as much as ever, and I can honestly say it doesn't really cause me any issues except financially. I'd prefer not to pay so much for a plant, but when I used to think weed made me anxious and depressed... turns out I'm just anxious and depressed as fuck. Mental illness can surface later in life. For myself it was triggered at 25 but there were so many warning signs.

Sure, I'd be moody as fuck if I came home from work tomorrow and didn't smoke a blunt. But I was like that before I started smoking again. And anyways if I wanted weed I would go out and get weed and a wrap and smoke a blunt. I just don't see it as a problem at the end of the day, or even a few times a day (so long as it's not like compulsive and distracting IMO). Especially since now it's like cigarettes here apart from being at work or driving. I hold a high level position and I was baked throughout my education and training. I work after dabbing as much as possible and it is all cognitive stuff. Stoned or not, I'm the same person with the same shit going on. I don't even know if I'd recommend quitting because if you are susceptible to 'withdrawal symptoms' (believe me I know they do exist for sure) from cannabis, it might not be worth stopping because you might end up on some kind of pharmaceutical wishing you were still a pothead.

I was brought up to see weed as the devil, so when it started helping me with my problems I had really confusing thoughts for a while. At the end of the day, I can honestly say that it really doesn't do shit apart from give me euphoria, relaxation, meditative and analytical thought... depending on the dose and grow. If anything, just the fact that you making a struggle out of it shows that, at least during this time of your life, you can't handle it. When I was 20, I couldn't handle weed either. I stopped for a long time and now I love it more than ever since I know it helps me medically. Sorry if this comes across as too know-it-all but if you are only smoking weed twice a day, and having those effects, it's just not the weed man. Maybe if you were smoking like an ounce a week at least or something... but twice a day? I would hardly even notice that unless we are talking big sessions. In my opinion the drugs are never the problem though.

This is my honest advice: slowly ease yourself back into smoking more weed like you were before, or switch to vaporizing cannabis concentrates. It's going to be legal in the near future almost everywhere. It probably helps your anxiety to use it a lot, and if you didn't you might use other drugs all of which are much worse for you. You might have an anxiety disorder that weed helps and it's way way way better to keep on the dope than go on something like benzos (xanax, etc) for that. If you start having panic attacks or some shit dude it's just REALLY not fun and it gets triggered by stress. My panic disorder came out when I quit a heavy weed smoking habit cold turkey and had a psychotic break. Looking back it was a really stupid decision to do that having so many health problems and having been smoking so much for so long, to just go cold turkey like that. Huge regret. There was a lot of pressure from external forces who for some reason had a real big problem with me smoking the herb though. Weed to me just means so much now I'd never stop, to me it is a start to the fight for personal freedom and the right to legal access of all 'controlled substances'. It's fun to smoke it everywhere just to annoy people. I mean, it's retarded... everyone gets drunk as fuck, and I do my best not to judge that although it stands against everything I believe in.

Last edited:
Me and many people I know have gotten this anxiety . I found smoking less is better . When you get in the position to pick from many strains ( legal ) you will find strains that work best for you . I have found strains that help with pain , relaxation , social situations , stress , and even mild anxiety .