• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Marijuana And Schizoaffective Disorder; Mild Hallucination Normal?

Anon456

Greenlighter
Hello BlueLight,
I have schizoaffective disorder and I have been smoking marijuana for a long time without a problem, but just recently I experienced what appeared to be a mild auditory hallucination. I have smoked marijuana at different periods in my life starting at the age of eighteen. When I was in my early twenties I smoked pot heavily while unmedicated and never really had a problem with it, not even paranoia. I smoked heavily at the age of twenty seven and it seemed to make my psychiatric condition worse although I wasn't on any medication at that time. (I smoked every weekend at twenty six, without a problem, but I was medicated at that time.) In terms of my disorder, I wouldn't say that I have it that bad. I recently did the DNA test with my psychiatrist which tests for which medications will work best, an analyasis of ones dopamine and serotonin receptors and things like that, and it was determined that only two of my receptors were off (much less than most of her clients.) It would appear that I have a have a fairly mild imbalance and I manage on a very low dose of medication...like unheard of low. For a year now, I only take the second to lowest dose that is prescribed of a mild antipsychotic, 5 mg, and that is paired with a low dose of antidepressant.

I have always smoked pot without a problem. Come to think of it I have only hallucinated on marijuana two other times in my life. I do not, nor have I ever, experienced hallucinations of any kind while sober. When I was eighteen, the first time I got high I had all sorts of wild hallucinations but it never happened again after that. One could argue that my pot was laced. Now that I recall, when I was twenty one I once heard a car alarm in the distance that appeared to be a hallucination and it quickly went away, and I never experienced anything like that again until now.

Let me start with stating how much I smoke. I only smoke, at best, like three times per week a medicinal grade marijuana...what appears to be Indica dominant. When I smoke I only smoke a few hits at a time and one time recently I got incredibly stoned off of only one hit. I am a very modest user anymore; It's not like I smoke a lot. As for medication I was recently on a very bad medication for a month and a half. A brand new medication that was just recently approved by the FDA called Rexulti and it made my symptoms much worse and made me feel horrible. My psychiatrist says it works entirely different from other medications of its type in that it "stimulates" most of the dopamine receptors rather than blocking a bunch of them. Who knows what that medication was actually doing to me. I quit that med about a week ago and abruptly went back on my old med although within the past week I haven't been the best about remembering to take it.

Anyway, this week I smoked a couple of hits of high grade medicinal Indica dominant and I was sitting there just thinking. All of a sudden I heard a high pitched electronic sort of noise going off that sounded much like something you would hear from a cell phone. It was two pitches one ascending into the other, and would happen four times then go away. It happened twice. It was kind of hard to decipher where it was coming from but it sounded like maybe the other room or somewhere like that. I have asked myself the question of whether or not it could have been coming down stairs from my neighbor's apartment, as the walls and floors are very easy to hear through. Although I have since read about other people's hallucinations and it was consistent with what they said. It would only happen when I started focusing or concentrating on something, and besides what electronic device would just be two ascending beeps like that? I don't know. I have thought about going to my neighbor's friend (I am close with his family who also have a psychiatric history) and asking him if his cellphone sometimes makes that type of noise...to determine if it was maybe that but at the same time I don't want to say, "Hey, I think I might have hallucinated." It actually sounded just like a sound that my boyfriend's cellphone makes except the pitches were going up instead of down.

So now the obvious question. Do I stop smoking pot or do I just pass it off as an isolated incident? After all, it is said to be fairly common to have mild hallucinations on marijuana as it is a mild hallucinogen. Maybe it was coming from a device that belonged to one of the many people who are often hanging out with my neighbor down stairs. Or maybe it has something to do with the precarious medication I was just taking and recently went off of (maybe withdrawal.) Obviously I don't want to stop smoking pot, but I don't welcome the idea of further hallucinations.

Last edited:
It might be the new medication since you just recently had this experience. I'm not sure about the auditory things though I do suffer from tinnitus. I hear high pitched noises all the time and rarely smoke weed anymore. I'm going to move this to Cannabis Discussion.

Okay, sounds good to me. I'm hoping it is the new medication or some fluke factor like that. This wasn't anything like a ringing in the ears though, it was like a deliberate sounding off of sorts like one would hear from an electronic device.

I know people who do not have Schizoaffective disorder and they had auditory hallucinations or when someone called them on a phone the person's voice sounded completely different to them and like someone else's voice. There's a Jimi Hendrix song about this called long hot summer night.

Oh really? That's interesting. If it's minor hallucinations I don't mind and I will keep smoking pot. So long as it's in the norm and not related to the disorder.

I'm no expert when it comes to mental illness or medication, but I think it just might've been the weed. When I get reeeeeally stoned I sometimes experience the same thing, and like you said you get medical grade bud. I also get very mild visuals on sativa.

Usually the auditory hallucinations come with slight paranoia for me, so I attribute the sounds to my mind mishearing something normal and trying to freak me out about it.

Like I said that's just my own experiences.

Personally all Iv had was visuals and sometimes audio hallucinations

but when the audial hallucinations start THEY ARE POWERFUL like everything is completely distorted and then colours change and then you feel like your moving when ur not

the strain that usually gets me there is Violator kush and that it does happen

in terms of medication I'm not sure if they have too much to do with it

while they were probs the catalyst the meds are antipsychotics and specifically for not having hallucinations or episodes

and I know anti depressants decrease hallucinatory activity too with many drugs

watch ur serotonin man if it dips or spike too high or low your fucked

try some other safe drugs that work differently and don't interfere with yo meds

to get high

Streetcow

Hey OP, I've had mild auditory hallucinations when smoking weed before. Have you been very tired or stressed out recently? For me it occasionally happens when I'm in a bad mood or stressed out and drinking. Many of my friends have had the high pitch noise too, when stoned. It seems to occur for most of us when we smoke a lot in a short amount of time, or if we are drinking alcohol as well. I wouldn't say it's something to worry about, but if it happens again, maybe lay off the pot for a while. I think it probably has something to do with your medication. Possibly it effects your high similar to alcohol?

Good luck with finding out what it is and stay safe :)

Oh really? That's interesting. If it's minor hallucinations I don't mind and I will keep smoking pot. So long as it's in the norm and not related to the disorder.

I would talk to a doctor, psychologist, or psychiatrist about this, as it's something you have questions about. You will not get into legal trouble if you tell them how you smoke herb.