View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

March Madness 2014: Drugs vs. Alcohol

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
March Madness 2014: Drugs vs. Alcohol

Not to be dramatic, but this has been the sort of winter that made much of America want to unzip its Old Navy performance fleece vest, gently place it neatly folded in a snowbank, and curl up in a ball in the subzero night, waiting for death's sweet release to lead us like lambs out of pain and into oblivion. As such, there's never been a better time for Jezebel's March Madness — our annual celebration of competition and absurdity where we completely ignore the NCAA tournament in favor of things that actually matter in our lives. In honor of this year's shittiness, this year's tournament is a celebration of the unhealthy means by which we escape the doldrums: drugs vs. alcohol.

This year's selection committee hearings were so heated that they nearly caused a rift between this site's editorial staff, but as the dust clears from the shitstorm of loud opinions and hurt feelings, four regions containing 64 intoxicants, narcotics, pills, powders, shots, vintages, and, uh, wine boxes will now compete for your votes.

SEXPAND
Illegal Drugs

The Illegal Drugs region, as expected, has some hard-to-ignore competitors. Weed tops the seeds, followed by other such "fun" drugs as cocaine, molly, and magic mushrooms. But don't discount the lower ranked entries in this league — heroin will be difficult to shake, and meth, despite the end of Breaking Bad, still talks pretty big game. Will marijuana be the gateway drug to ultimate victory? Not if the other divisions have anything to say about it.

Legal Drugs

The Legal Drugs region is stacked with competitors who perfected their technique in the lab, not in the streets, which might cause some purists to cry foul. But there's no shame in their game, led by the indispensable and reliable Caffeine. While it might seem like America's favorite brown beverage stimulant has the region on lock, other strong entries like Addreall, Advil, and nicotine could easily mount challenges. And anyone who has had their wisdom teeth removed or knee cartilage shaved knows that Vicodin can really come through in the clutch.

Hard Alcohol

Onto the fierce Hard Alcohol region. True fans of drugs and alcohol love them because unlike the drugs, every single competitor in this region will make you barf after a single digit number of servings and unlike drugs, you don't have to hastily hide it when your landlord comes over to look at your pipes. That kind of hard-nosed play means such competitors as vodka, Jack Daniels, gin, and the criminally underseeded rum will be a nail biter to watch play out.

Soft Stuff

Don't let the name of our final "Soft Stuff" region fool you; a long history of reliable intoxicating achievement and social acceptability means that these are the teams to beat. It's got something for every palate and every level of sophistication: champagne sitting on top, followed by the significantly more blue collar but no less worthy PBR. In a surprising and controversial move, Franzia is seeded above both red and white wine, and the highest ranked beer that people drink when they're not pretending to be Irish doesn't show up until the 10th seed.

Are these rankings definitive? Absolutely not. But part of the beauty of March Madness is watching unpredictable chaos overtake humanity's futile attempts to assign order to that which cannot be tamed. Don't like the rankings? Don't like the regions? Tough jerky. Those decisions were never yours to make. But by that same token, you decide who wins — it's completely out of our hands.

So get ready for the competition to end all competitions. Voting starts on Monday. In the meantime, feel free to make your favored competitor's case to the public, and prepare for a bloodbath.

kafnxfpnayclgjmy0lyw.png

http://jezebel.com/march-madness-2014-drugs-vs-alcohol-1543841923

I will have to run my brackets to see what wins=D

Edit: tournament update: one side got down to the sweet 16 and was called by the director as he didn't want to see any more eliminations while brandy swept the other side.

Weed
Boomers

LSD
Coke

Caffeine
nicotine

adderall
oxy

VS

brandy

The ayahu, coke, herion bracket was already to brutal for the director.

Edit 2: the tournament continued after all and boomers took it.

Last edited:
Heroin destroys anything. I think alcohol should only have one place instead of half the brackets...

^ yeah, except for maybe absinthe, I'd have to put all alcohol into one category...it's just a matter of concentration and taste after that

combining legal and illegal drugs I'd have three levels:

level 1 (weak/mild) - weed, caffeine, nicotine (occasional use)
level 2 (harder than level 1) - molly, painkillers, most psychedelics
level 3 (hardest) - heroin, coke, meth, amphetamines

amps would be lower except for how fucking addictive they are; also don't know shit about PCP but I'd put it level 3 if the Big Lurch story is true lol

lol this makes no sense in all honesty and is basically just list your favorites out of
these categories

id say: lsd, adderall, long island ice tea, and rose

crack is a 16 seed lol

uotq4iwqdyduqrixhssn.png

March Madness Drugs vs. Alcohol: Meet Your Sweet Sixteen!

Let's take a moment to talk about the results of yesterdays trials because there were SO MANY UPSETS. Red Wine got smashed out of the running by Cham-FUCKING-pagne! Blue Moon eclipsed Rosé, almost as if no one had ever heard the Rosé is the nectar of the summer gods (they mad now, btw, so enjoy your extended winter). Sangria beat Guinness! Xanax beat Prozac! Mushrooms beat Quaaludes! LSD beat Molly! Margarita beat Gin! You chose IPAs over PBR (the cheap-o in me weeps), Vodka over Brandy, Scotch over So-Co, Weed over Bath Salts, Coke over Ayahuasca (which I can now spell without looking, thank you), Caffeine over Immodium, Advil over Oxycontin, Jack Daniels over Jungle Juice and — in a victory of less than 100 votes — Vicodin triumphed over Valium.

http://jezebel.com/march-madness-drugs-vs-alcohol-meet-your-sweet-sixtee-1551345619

damn ghb and pcp out in round 1. who the FUCK takes ayahuasca over GHB though. probably just stuck on the "date rape" thing and never tried it.

coke vodka and caffiene from the choices u left me with but i would have to say acid should be winning haha acid 4 life!

damn ghb and pcp out in round 1. who the FUCK takes ayahuasca over GHB though. probably just stuck on the "date rape" thing and never tried it.

right? some of these shouldnt be trumping the others how does caffine beat vicoden or brandy beating moonshine to name a couple lol

If coke wins over LSD, then this competition has nothing to do with my universe.

And why does Guiness get its own category? I like an IPA or a porter better.

Coke 54.38% (9,451 votes)

LSD 45.62% (7,930 votes)

Total Votes: 17,381

Slim they are going head 2 head right now.. I personally think the rankings for brackets need to be investigated by an independent investigator.. :sus:

Final four: weed, caffeine, vodka, champage. Rightly so, as this is just a popularity contest!

even if it is a popularity contest.. why in gods green earth is champagne in their? FFS .. I think a second opinion bracket composed by users who know better is needed next march.

Final four: weed, caffeine, vodka, champage. Rightly so, as this is just a popularity contest!

I would be pretty satisfied with weed, caffeine, and some alcohol, for daily drug use. (Though I don't use alcohol daily, it can be really nice to help me sleep after a day with coffee and bong hits!)
But my occasional excursions on ayahuasca, mushrooms, or mescaline-containing cactus are also very important to me!

I guess I'm an atypical drug user. If caffeine, cannabis, and alcohol all dropped off the face of the earth, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. =D

^I kind of agree, but I really do enjoy caffeine, especially with certain drugs. The problem with losing any of these is they are 3 things (or at least 2 of 3 and 1 isn't a big deal) that I feel will always be there for me, with ease of accessbility.

I guess I'm an atypical drug user. If caffeine, cannabis, and alcohol all dropped off the face of the earth, I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. =D

If I could replace cannabis with, say, nicotine, I'd feel the same way. Except I wouldn't lose any sleep.

I'm not sure I get the point of this bracket. If it's rec drugs Americans have a preference for then there should be more opiates, generic oxycodone, hydromorphone, and oxymorphone are all more popular than OPs at this point. And wtf Advil over OxyContin and coke over LSD.

Xanies over addy anyday hoe-chi-myweiner :p I love sedatives and hate stims but have often gone on long amp binges because of how cheap and available they are.