• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

MAOIs in healthy people

Neuroprotection

Bluelighter
In this post I want to discuss the effects of non-selective MAOIs such as tranylcypromine, phenylzine and isocarboxazid et cetera, on a healthy person without any psychiatric disorder.
It would be interesting to find out whether these antidepressants could enhance motivation and elevate mood in a healthy person, and if so they may be of therapeutic value in my case.
I am a 20-year-old student who is relatively healthy Mail with no diagnosed mental health condition nor do I believe I have one. However I do lack motivation when studying particularly when I challenged by an aspect of the work I do not understand. I also get very sleepy when trying to study even for a short period of time.
What do you think
Thanks

Okay maybe I do have a bit of a problem, it's just not detected yet because I haven't really been to a doctor and I only developed severe sleepiness and drowsiness with study tasks which require concentration

Have you been prescribed any SSRI/SNRI's or even tricyclic AD's before the MAOI? I only ask this because the drug/food interactions with MAOI's seem to be extensive. As far as drowsiness with studying, that seems to be a common syndrome affecting those from 8 to 80 years of age. Unless you live in the states where Adderall has replaced coffee but that's a different rant.
A discussion with your doctor might give you an idea of which stimulants would be safe with your MAOI or possibly a switch to a different antidepressant if this drowsiness becomes prominent...... Hope your postman is happy with the healthy Mail.

Thankyou for your concern, I know that MAOIs can have terrible side effects, but thankfully I dislike anything they interact with especially aged foods. Also I do not use any antidepressants because I don't have depression. I do not see how they would help me. Only the MAOIs have caught my attention because of there mechanism.