• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Male opiate & kratom users - UTIs?

DrewTheSlig

Greenlighter
Hello everyone.

Trying to get myself sorted.

I am a 33 year old male, with a UTI. Never had one before, never had a catheter or anything like that. Prostate is fine.

I know opiates can cause urinary retention. I just wondered if anyone here who has used opiates and kratom has ever...gotten a UTI out of it?

Usage was ~12DHC 30mg a day + 20g of kratom lets say. Never felt like I was urinating less or holding it in.

Otherwise in reasonable health, not diabetic. I was just self medicating depression and such like a lot of people and the doses crept up over the years.

If it's helpful information, its a pretty intense UTI that has persisted for a month and resisted antibitoics. Im just looking for causative explanations really.

I had a UTI several years ago while on high doses of kratom, but the doctor said it was some super rare bacteria or something and said I probably got it from swimming in this one lake a few weeks prior. It cleared up within a week on antibiotics. I didn't even know I had a UTI, no major symptoms, the doctor drug tested my urine and just happened to find it coincidentally.

Did the doctor ID what was the infection was? Non-STD related UTIs are very uncommon in men.

I've been taking kratom consistently, nearly everyday for 4-5 years in doses upwards of 40g a day. I've never had a UTI from it, I even recently had a catheter in and it didn't cause any issues. Maybe your UTI was due to other factors, bad hydration, etc

Hello, yeah thats what I thought -

The bacteria is psuedomonas, which is a weird one. It is an opportunistic one. And theyve tried to get rid of it with 2 weeks of cipro (it was supposedly sensitive) and nothing improved at all.

The problem here is im not male, 33, not diabetic, bloodwork normal, no kidney stones, not sexually active, prostate is normal, medicines for over active bladder dont work (and why would they, they proved an infection is there), not been swimming, cystoscopy normal, ultrasound normal. I could go on. The bacteria above was detected before I ever had anything checked out so it cant really be a hospital acquired.

The twist here is that I had tuberculosis in many organs one decade ago. Here is what I reckon is going on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urogenital_tuberculosis
More reading: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41585-019-0228-9/

Bladder TB shows up 5-20 years after you have TB in up to 15% of people who have had TB.

The problem here is my ultrasound and such are totally normal.

So I have a mega rare opportunistic UTI which is not going away, a HUGE TB history, a timeline that fits, nothing else fits, no risk factors for a UTI, but everything looks fine on the scans.

So, things fit and things don't.

Who knows.

Hello, yeah thats what I thought -

The bacteria is psuedomonas, which is a weird one. It is an opportunistic one. And theyve tried to get rid of it with 2 weeks of cipro (it was supposedly sensitive) and nothing improved at all.

The problem here is im not male, 33, not diabetic, bloodwork normal, no kidney stones, not sexually active, prostate is normal, medicines for over active bladder dont work (and why would they, they proved an infection is there), not been swimming, cystoscopy normal, ultrasound normal. I could go on. The bacteria above was detected before I ever had anything checked out so it cant really be a hospital acquired.

The twist here is that I had tuberculosis in many organs one decade ago. Here is what I reckon is going on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urogenital_tuberculosis
More reading: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41585-019-0228-9/

Bladder TB shows up 5-20 years after you have TB in up to 15% of people who have had TB.

The problem here is my ultrasound and such are totally normal.

So I have a mega rare opportunistic UTI which is not going away, a HUGE TB history, a timeline that fits, nothing else fits, no risk factors for a UTI, but everything looks fine on the scans.

So, things fit and things don't.

Who knows.
I used to get uti’s all the time from my large gauge piercing Which blocked the urethra from totally empting , i only discovered it after they found testicle cancer and removed one nut ,about two months after the removal i got another uti and i changed jewelry gauge and type and ive been uti free for over 18 months now

Hello everyone.

Trying to get myself sorted.

I am a 33 year old male, with a UTI. Never had one before, never had a catheter or anything like that. Prostate is fine.

I know opiates can cause urinary retention. I just wondered if anyone here who has used opiates and kratom has ever...gotten a UTI out of it?

Usage was ~12DHC 30mg a day + 20g of kratom lets say. Never felt like I was urinating less or holding it in.

Otherwise in reasonable health, not diabetic. I was just self medicating depression and such like a lot of people and the doses crept up over the years.
Sounds EXACTLY like me (only I'm a few years older). Never had any UTI issues in my life. Prostate is perfect, etc. No sex recently (regrettably), so no reason for UTI...other than heavier than normal kratom use. Hell, it got me off drinking and drugging. And SEVERE depression. But, now its starting to cause a few issues down below. So, I'm cutting back and will starting cycling it and maybe use some Kava in its place here and there. Done it before, and it seemed to fix things. Good luck, my brother.