• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Malaysia Minister Talks Drug Decriminalization

Bluelight Crew
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/jul/01/malaysia_minister_talks_drug_dec

A Malaysian government minister said Sunday the Southeast Asian nation is moving toward decriminalizing drug possession, but her remarks also suggested that drug users would be exchanging jail cells for treatment beds. Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Nancy Shukri said the government's policy was moving from prosecuting drug users to treating them.

Her remarks came at the end of a High Level Meeting on Drug Policy and Public Health sponsored by the Global Commission on Drug Policy. The meeting was held in conjunction with the 2013 International Aids Conference held over the weekend in Kuala Lumpur, the Malaysian capital.
Shukri also said that the Association of Southeast Asian Nations' (ASEAN) goal of a drug-free region by 2015 was not realistic, but that smarter approaches by authorities could reduce drug dependence.

"There is no such thing as drug-free but we can control it by changing or shifting our policy," Shukri said. "Instead of looking at drug dependents as criminals, we should actually look at them as patients. Instead of bringing them to jail, we bring them to the clinic," she told a press gaggle after the AIDS conference ended.

Shukri said that Malaysia had been taking steps toward a more effective and humane drug policy, but that those initiatives were not widely known. She cited ongoing needle exchange programs for injection drug users. The sharing of needles is a known vector for the transmission of the AIDS virus, and the program had resulted in a reduction in new HIV/AIDS infections, she said.

"Others include the harm reduction program and upgrading of the rehabilitation centers into Cure & Care Clinics," Shukri said. "We are already there (decriminalizing drugs) but we are not making it loud enough for the people to understand that we have this policy. Our policy has not been established in a formal way."

That could be coming, though. Shukri said the government is currently reviewing the country's drug laws, including the Drug Dependents (Treatment and Rehabilitation) Act of 1983.

"The Law Reform Committee is now in the process of discussing to amend that particular provision [Section 4(1)(b) of the Act which allows the detention of a suspected drug dependent for up to 14 days for a test to be conducted]," she said.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2013/jul/01/malaysia_minister_talks_drug_dec

First they decided to stop hanging drug dealers, and now they want to decriminalize drugs. Before you know it, they'll be legalizing premarital sex!

Seriously, this would be a huge step in the right direction for humanity. I don't agree with mandatory drug treatment, but it's good to see one of the most radical prohibitionist nations softening so quickly.

Imagine radical, compassionless Malaysia becoming the next Portugal. This is amazing stuff.

Last edited:
I know people don't like to be forced into rehab programs (I was quite upset myself when finding out I had to go do a 2 month stint), however, I'll take it over a 6 by 12 any day. I ended up really enjoying it actually. About a month into the program, they began to let me go home on weekends, provided urine samples continued to come back clean.

It's definitely not true freedom of choice, but if a country like Malaysia can decriminalize all drugs - I think that's a big step in the right direction, particularly in that region of the world. And who knows - it could influence other nations in the area to do the same.

Baby steps are better than no steps.

Being forced into rehab is better than being forced into prison, so it's a start...

Its already been said but this is really amazing. Hopefully they'll follow through with it. I dont agree with forced rehab either, but overall its a very good start, considering its Malaysia. I really hope this is just the beginning of global change on the failed "war on drugs"

Malaysia??!! I think I just saw a pig fly by my window.

Crossing the Thai-Malaysian border by train in 2003 was one of the most shakedown border crossings I've ever had. It's one of the few countries I've always said I'd never seek out drugs, even if they were offered to me by a trusted local.

It strikes me that one of the legally and societally tough things for governments everywhere about "going soft" on drugs is deciding how to handle the people whose lives they just ruined for drug possession the day before. This creates a sort of policy inertia when it comes to drug laws and their enforcement, which favors the retention of harsh penalties and strict enforcement long after it's clear they're not helping anyone, just to avoid losing public trust.