• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Making Weed Edibles

PotatoMan

Bluelight Crew
I would like to know a definite formula I can use to make weed edibles. I can't keep watching these god damn youtube tutorials as I don't get full details like I would from you amazing set of people! Haha.

Ok I'm familiar with the process, be it butter or oil.
Here's my uncertainties;
1. Do you place everything in the butter/oil, i.e. Stems, seeds, bud and long leaves?

2. I will never use less than a quarter and I will never use HIGHGRADE as it is expensive where I'm from. I use low grade, "Reggie" or whatever you guys call it.
So how long EXACTLY should I leave the cannabis in the butter/oil for?
I've heard just one hour will do, while my friend's mom stirs the butter for 6hours and it's still pretty potent. I once did it myself for 4hrs and the brownies lacked potency, severely.

3. After it is boiled and strained do I go about making the brownies how it usually should be?

I usually use brownies cuz I don't really have cookie dough in my house.

Do you guys prefer to use OIL or BUTTER?

I'll more than likely always use oil, brownie batter and a MINIMUM of a Quarter Oz of 'Reggie'.

Does brownie mix make a difference because I use "GHIRARDELLI Triple chocolate brownie mix".

So please tell me how long to boil the cannabis for if I were to use a Q, half oz and an OZ because that's what I'd usually use. ONE of those quantities and it will always be low-grade so remember that when you're answering.

Come on I know you guys have your own little procedures! Please share:)

So you're saying butter is better to use? I just find oil much easier to use. And 4hours on simmer sounds good. I used think when I did it myself I had temperature too high

Everybody does have their own tek, but it's hard to fuck up completely, so you just have to make a generic recipe your own. There's also many different ways of infusing, and each fat has it's own properties.

You don't mention what TYPE OF OIL you're using, which is very important. Don't use canola or vegatable oil. Virgin coconut oil is your best bet (the kind that's solid at room temperature). Butter is also an excellent choice (the simplest). Olive oil will do if you can't use coconut for whatever reason.

The easiest way to make potent butter is to just go for the crock pot long simmer method. You're not going to get the best tasting butter this way (it will have a distinct cannabis taste) but it will get most of the cannabinoids out of your material, which is important if you're using low quality buds.
The method is simple:
Put 1oz. of buds into a small crock pot--I use a 1 quart model (at least 1oz, I use 20g+ of medium or high grade usually, sometimes plus some hash or vaped bud)
Add 1lb (4 sticks) of butter
Simmer on low for 10-12 hours (at least 10, there's a point when you can tell it's done, but unless you know then just ~10 hours), stirring occasionally (every 2 hours)
That's it.
Just strain it when you're done and you should be good.
Also let sit in the fridge overnight to scrape off any plant material that got through your coffee filter straining.

That's pretty much it, I'm high at the moment but you get the idea.

I would go with cannibutter all the way.

I used to use a cookie mix that all u needed was butter so after a while I was able to get the amount exact.

I did require a bit more butter than the recipe required because when I cooked the weed in the butter some butter was lost.

As far as potency, it was fucking strong. Actually, it was so strong I would fall asleep even the next day.

I disagree that it's hard to fuck up. I've never met anyone who could say they've never had a dud edible. Most people I know distrust them for being so unreliable. This is because of all the misinformation out there.

This is my personal method, highly tested and so far, foolproof:

A) Decarboxylate your weed. This is absolutely imperative!

1. First grind it up as finely as possible. The finer the grind, the more potent the end result. It makes a big difference. I use a cheap electric coffee grinder. Every part of the plant has THC so use everything you have, but be aware you need to use more if it's not buds. I've found stems actually are pretty good but I've never used them alone so I don't know how much weaker they are. You'd have to experiment with the dose.

2. Preheat your oven to 295 F. Get a thermometer to make sure the temp is right, don't ever trust an oven. I use a toaster oven but anything would work.

3. Spread your ground weed on a microwave safe ramekin or bowl and cook it for 30 minutes. It should look brown and shitty when it's done.

B) Cook your weed into the oil.

1. Use coconut oil. It's head and shoulders above the other options. It's not expensive or hard to find. If you can't get it, use lard or butter. I wouldn't use olive oil, I think that's a waste because the amount of saturated fat in it is so low. Cover the weed just enough so it all moves around suspended in the oil when you shake the container gently.

2. (Optional) Get soy lecithin powder and mix a bunch in. You can find it online or in health food shops. Don't get the granules, they suck. You want the powder. I don't measure it but I've found that using too little is worse than using too much. As long as it stays suspended in the oil when you move the container it's not too much. I say optional because I know most people won't bother but honestly it makes a hell of a difference. It is usually easier to mix it all together if you microwave the oil briefly (like 5 seconds or so) to thin the oil out.

3. Microwave on high in 30 second bursts 6 times. Let it cool for 30 seconds in between each burst. You can shake the container gently side to side each time. A lot of people are wary of using the microwave with good reason, it's notoriously erratic when it comes to temperature. Nevertheless, I've never had an issue myself. If you used the lecithin the liquid should be black. If it isn't brown or black you can do another burst or two but it's probably not necessary. If you didn't use the lecithin it's harder to tell if it's done visually, so just follow the directions and it will be fine.

4. Strain through a metal strainer with a fine mesh. I found a great one at Walmart.

You're done! I would personally recommend getting gel caps and an eye dropper because edibles are generally disgusting. If they aren't, the oil is probably not very potent and you need to waste a ton of weed to make it. Following the above instructions a dose of .2 - .4 grams should get you insanely high for 6-10 hours with noticeable positive after effects for almost a full day. Obviously tolerance plays a part but even with a decent tolerance .4 should do it. If it doesn't you did it wrong or you need to take a tolerance break. :) I measure the amount of oil I use so my caps are .15 - .2 g each and they're all I need for a day.

Decarbing beforehand isn't a bad idea but don't do it at 295. 220 is usually recommended, sometimes 240.

And yes, 10 hours on low in a crock pot is fine. Just make sure to stir occasionally so it doesn't get too hot on the bottom.

My first few tries I added water to make it easier as well (just more volume), but I've heard negative things about using water (both as to potency and the butter going bad faster).

220 is what I used to do but it takes about two hours to get maximum potency and the high ends up being a lot more sedating and less psychadelic (more boring). I think it's because the prolonged time gives the THC more time to degrade into CBD, but a shorter time gives you a lot less bang for your buck. 295 for 30 minutes will not kill any of your cannabinoids; just because the oven temperature is 295 doesn't mean the compounds get to that temp. Believe me, that temp for that time works. I have a lot of experience with this.

I've never heard of decarbing at that time or for that long. I don't decarb at all when I make butter, though last time when I made coconut oil I did 20min@220.

It's really just to jump-start the process anyway, with the 10-12 hour crock pot method it's all going to get decarbed in the pot. You only really need to do a separate decarbing if you're trying to do quick cook times. (ie. last time I made oil I decarbed 20min@220, then cooked with the coconut oil for 20 min, then put in the freezer for 24h, then cooked for 20min@220 again, then strained, that's it)

I've never heard of decarbing at that time or for that long. I don't decarb at all when I make butter, though last time when I made coconut oil I did 20min@220.

I've done pretty extensive experimentation and the best results are from that method. I've done it countless times and everyone who's tried them enjoyed them once they found the right dose. I want to clarify that I'm not saying your method doesn't work. I'm talking about maximizing potency for your money. How much weed do you generally use per dose? How many doses do you get from an ounce?

It's really just to jump-start the process anyway, with the 10-12 hour crock pot method it's all going to get decarbed in the pot. You only really need to do a separate decarbing if you're trying to do quick cook times. (ie. last time I made oil I decarbed 20min@220, then cooked with the coconut oil for 20 min, then put in the freezer for 24h, then cooked for 20min@220 again, then strained, that's it)

You're correct, decarbing isn't necessary if you're cooking that long. Personally I prefer getting it all done in an hour or so. I also think long cook times and special equipment can put people off making edibles.

If you can find a tek that works than more power to you, crock pot can be hit or miss, which is why I've switched to using hash oil for my medicinal edibles. I only use my home-infused butter or oil for lightly medicated snacks.

To be honest I don't really dose the snacks, since the butter or oil is usually just made with whatever. My recent hash oil gummies were made at 2 different strengths though, one batch with 85mg oil per gummy (50-60mg THC) and the other with 125mg oil per (65-75mg THC). I give ranges for the THC content because the oil hadn't been tested yet when I procured it, but it's always over 50%.

And I kind of agree on the long cook times, but I think requiring multiple steps is also a turn-off for first-time infusers. That's why I just recommend grind and simmer for a first batch, you can always do an additional decarb, etc in later batches. Even if it takes longer it's not like it's a hard process either way.

Ok so what I'm getting from all this is.

If you want your edibles to be tasty, you gotta make cannabutter and the best way to do this is to decarb the weed(STEM, SEED and BUD)<-(please clarify) for 20minutes and 220 (F or Celsius?) in a conventional oven/toaster oven then boil the dercarbed weed with a pound of butter on simmer with a crock pot for about 10hrs and stir every 20mintutes for 5minutes and then place in fridge overnight with two chopsticks in the butter to remove it easily and then cook the brownies according to the recipe for a pound of butter and then you have a balance of tasty and highly potent pot brownies made from at least a quarter of any kind of weed?

I'm very stoned and have simply just jumbled up why you guys have all share here into one condensed method because I prefer to eat tasty brownies. Correct me if I may be wrong.

Also, does the quantity of brownie mix matter?

Thanks for the replies :)!

You've kinda got it, haha.

You only want the bud, no seeds. Stems are ok I guess, but you'll be grinding everything up.

Temps are all in fahrenheit.

If you do the 10hr slow cook method strain out the plant material before you put it in the fridge (or cool it all down and then re-warm and strain the next day).

Oh n pardon my ignorance but what exactly would be simmer? Would it be after all the butter has melted and starts to boil, I then throw the bud in and turn the fire down to the LOWEST? Am I right here?

It's just the length of time to simmer the cannabutter that concerns me. I'm just afraid I burn away all the active ingredients haha. I've had an experience where I boiled for 4 hrs and the butter wasn't even green. It was still yellow and the brownies lacked that "kick".

Needless to say I was quite disappointed even tho it had me zoned for long, just not stoned like I wished to be.

I plan on doing that method there for next weekend. To celebrate after my exams haha. So yeah.

Thanks tho

Last edited:
Simmer is usually its own setting, its not quite boiling, its just a lower simmer, its usually the lowest option on a oven (with 9 being the HOTTEST, MAX, or 1 being simmer or Lo)
A

I never used more than a grinder, some butter and a stove top and my cannibutter came out fucking strong.

I am sure there are better methods and I really do not want to get into drug synthesis as the info is already out there.

I believe I learned how to do it on erowid.