• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Making tasty canna oil

falsifiedhypothesi

Bluelight Crew
I haven't made edibles in a while but was thinking of starting back up since I can make some pretty good stuff. Anyway without going into too much detail here's my process and how I think I can improve it.

I usually cook the weed at 252F for 27 minutes, I've done some research and these seemed like solid numbers. I then put the bud in a small amount of vegetable oil and let simmer in a jar for a couple hours heated by a water bath at roughly 120F. I then filter the bud through a coffee filter and put the oil in baked treats or ice cream and put the filtered ground bud into firecrackers.

This process has always made me damn good edibles even with lesser grade weed but the final product, i.e. food, always tastes pretty strongly of weed. I never mind this, and actually kind of enjoy the taste, but some of my friends and others who have tried it have been a little put off by the taste.

I was thinking I could wash the oil with water once it has been filtered and is ready to bake. Then let it sit in a seperatory funnel and drain. Would washing with equal parts water remove any of the non-cannabinoid components?

Nice recipe!

In theory there is going to be a little bit of water in your vegetable oil so you are pulling out some chlorophyll and other water soluble nasty things when you are making your canna-oil. Yes, doing a water wash on this should improve the taste but it's difficult to say by how much.

I'm of the opinion that if your intentions are to make a STRONG canna-oil, it isn't SUPPOSE to taste good. Even if you take out all the water solubles, what your left with is a very bitter tasting medicine (and that's what you want!). Canna-oil can taste good, but only if it is WEAK sauce (ime).

The only way I have made a STRONG edible that taste GOOD, is by NOT using canna-oil. I would extract the goodies into some isopropyl, dry and then carefully place this hash oil into my food that I'm making. There are other extractions that can make your food taste so damn good you can't even taste the cannabis at all, but nothing will beat the simplicity of QWISO, if you are looking into hash oil.

I'm of the opinion that if your intentions are to make a STRONG canna-oil, it isn't SUPPOSE to taste good. Even if you take out all the water solubles, what your left with is a very bitter tasting medicine (and that's what you want!). Canna-oil can taste good, but only if it is WEAK sauce (ime).

In general I agree with this. In my experience, weed flavor doesn't go well with sweets anyway, and for some reason everyone makes sweet edibles.

I don't think it tastes good with dry edibles like cookies or brownies but in ice cream it tastes great, and that's what I put it in 90% of the time.

I really don't think you need to pre-bake the weed, it's getting heat when you're mixing it with the oil, you could maybe increase the temperature slightly & reduce the time for that stage too. Using hash or cannabis oil will be easier than weed too, if you can.

Butter works well, and then mixing it with some other dairy product like milk or yoghurt works very well. Cannabis ice cream sounds awesome.

I really don't think you need to pre-bake the weed, it's getting heat when you're mixing it with the oil, you could maybe increase the temperature slightly & reduce the time for that stage too. Using hash or cannabis oil will be easier than weed too, if you can.

Butter works well, and then mixing it with some other dairy product like milk or yoghurt works very well. Cannabis ice cream sounds awesome.

Failed edibles are almost always due to too little heat and too little time. Decarbing is very important.

^ Yep

In general I agree with this. In my experience, weed flavor doesn't go well with sweets anyway, and for some reason everyone makes sweet edibles.
I know right? An to attempt to cover up the strong cannabis taste with sweets is futile really.

It's like a Bitter Sweet Symphony in my mouth.