View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

making calea zacatechichi extract?

Aeon Psyche

Bluelighter
can someone help me with this? There's loads growing around where i live and i need stronger dreams with all help i can use. i don't like smoking it because i try to quit smoking as a whole..

Gonna move this to PD, they might have more people who're familiar with this herb.

OD->PD

Not sure what the active compounds are soluble in, but in general I think it's a good bet to use something like vodka to extract stuff from plants, as it contains both water and ethanol, which will grab a lot of stuff. Dry a bunch of leaves and grind them up, and then let it soak in the vodka for a while, then strain out the plant material and let the solution evaporate to get a solid lump of extract.

Someone may know more about calea specifically, but that is what I'd do.

Just brewing a tea is good too, you are probably just fine with a water extraction but hey vodka could be a bit better.

The main reason to still make an extract either way would IMO be the taste of its tea rather than not wanting to smoke calea, if not then just stick to the actual tea.

If it is active at all (which I doubt), then I'm not sure what the active constituents are and what solvents are appropriate. It is indisputably the most vile botanical that I have ever attempted to ingest, and its inactivity simply added insult to injury. I genuinely hope you crack the code, because otherwise I won't be revisiting it!

Most accounts a I've read involve smoking or teas. Based on that, it stands to reason that you might be able to make a tea, then boil it down and reduce it practically to the point of being a tar. That tar could be rolled into balls and coated in granulated sugar to make DIY concentrated tabs.

The actives are germacranolides which are sesquiterpene lactones. This group of compounds generally has poor water solubility so be aware that an alcohol extraction might yield a particularly potent product. Then again: compounds that make up the plant might help with dissolution in water making calea tea not so inefficient.

There are reports of non-bitter calea varieties but it appears that rather these are misidentified Chromolaena sp.

Besides, the germacranolides are supposed to be what makes calea so terribly bitter so you wouldn't want non-bitter varieties even if they were actual Calea.