• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Majority of Texans support legalizing medical and recreational marijuana

Bluelight Crew
http://txcann.com/2013/10/08/texans-support-marijuana-medical-recreational/

A Public Policy Polling survey recently completed for Texas showed majority support for both medical and recreational use of marijuana as well as a desire to change the state’s laws to lower penalties for recreational possession.

The survey was comprised of three primary questions, the first asking if the respondent would support or oppose changing the law in Texas to allow seriously and terminally ill patients to use medical marijuana for a limited number of conditions if their doctors recommend it.

A clear majority was reached with 58% stating they would support such a measure with 38% opposing it. Another 11% were undecided on the matter. Women supported the measure at 59% and men at 56%. By party affiliation Democrats supported medical marijuana by 67% with 16% opposing and 18% not sure. Republicans were more split with 50% supporting and 42% opposing. Independents and other party respondents supported by 59% to 36%.

They were then asked if they would support or oppose a change in law to make it a civil, not criminal, offense to possess an ounce or less of marijuana for personal use, punishable by a fine of up to $100, but without jail time.

There was even stronger support for this with 61% responding in favor of such a law change. Less than a third opposed it at 30% with only 9% saying they weren’t sure. Both men and women supported the change equally at 61%. Democrats supported at 66% and opposed at 20%. Republicans approved 55% to 37% and independents/others supported the measure 62% to 33%.

Under current Texas law, it is a criminal offense for a person to possess a small amount of marijuana, and he or she can be sentenced to up to a year in jail, and fined up to $2,000.

The third question allowed for a more varied response, asking respondents if they would support or oppose regulating marijuana like alcohol, meaning that it would have to be sold in stores to people 21 and older.

A good 41% “strongly supports” such a measure with another 17% saying they “somewhat support” regulating marijuana like alcohol. Opposition to such a measure was made by about a third of respondents, with 24% strongly opposing and 14% somewhat opposing; 3% weren’t sure.

Women strongly supported the measure at 42% and men strongly supported at 41%. Democrats strongly supported with 53%, Republicans with 33%, and independents/others with 38%. For Republicans, 32% strongly opposed but only 12% of Democrats strongly opposed. Independents/others strongly opposed with 28%.

The story continues: http://txcann.com/2013/10/08/texans-support-marijuana-medical-recreational/

The most surprising thing to me about this poll is that women are more in favor of legalization than men. Usually in polls, the majority of women will lean prohibitionist. I've never seen a breakdown like this.

If we can take down Texas, the rest of the states don't stand a chance. Since the feds are supposedly laying off the legal states, that means the bigger players can start lobbying, and Texas politicians are notoriously corrupt ;)

Somewhat surprising but good news! :) It hopefully wont be too long before all States in the US have atleast medical, if not recreational, cannabis use permitted by law.

I hate to say this but I would sooner move to Texas than Colorodo or Washington. I'm a sucker for warm weather.

I hate to say this but I would sooner move to Texas than Colorado or Washington. I'm a sucker for warm weather.

Yeah, when you are in texas, anything below 50 is fucking freezing.......

But, I have personally lost so much fucking money to the zero-tolerance bullshit it is ridiculous...

Some jurisdictions won't even give you the option of sitting out the tickets...