Mental Health Major Depressive Disorder

I've got multiple diagnoses as well, major depressive disorder, GAD, ADD, complex PTSD, OCD, substance abuse disorder....the aim is to find just one or two medications that help with everything. And it is possible. Like I said earlier, I take Cymbalta, and usually I take topiramate as well, which acts as a mood stabiliser. But I'm pregnant and can't take the topiramate while pregnant so I had to cut that one out. I'll continue it after I give birth though as it really helps me.

For REALLY effective help and relief of your symptoms though, incorporating some long term therapy as well as taking meds is your best option. Medications alone can simply act as a bandaid, which is okay for a while, but therapy will really help you get effective relief.
I know, the onus is on me to keep looking for someone I feel comfortable talking to. Not only that but figuring out where to start, I think that's part of my problem when it comes to the talk therapy side of things. Finding a good point to start with that will let them get to know me and start to unpack all the shit that's happened to me. I've heard CBT is useless if you go in after taking benzos, but until I find an adequate anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug, I will be an anxious mess going in there without taking a benzo.

I know, the onus is on me to keep looking for someone I feel comfortable talking to. Not only that but figuring out where to start, I think that's part of my problem when it comes to the talk therapy side of things. Finding a good point to start with that will let them get to know me and start to unpack all the shit that's happened to me. I've heard CBT is useless if you go in after taking benzos, but until I find an adequate anti-depressant/anti-anxiety drug, I will be an anxious mess going in there without taking a benzo.
I would think it'd be fairly common for people with anxiety disorders to go in to their first therapy session on benzos. And don't worry too much about what to say, it's the therapist's job to guide you with that. Try to not just make excuses for not getting the help you deserve <3

I’m new to the thread and I would say that I’m lonely and just can’t find fun anymore with my life changing. I hope I get better but I don’t think meds would work. I don’t know what to take I’m divorced and can’t function without a person who loves me. Help

Maybe ask to switch to another SSRI?
The newer ones, such as sertraline, seem to work more reliably.

Alternatively, you might try another class of antidepressant. Tricyclics may be 'old', but also tried and tested. I've done well on this type of medication.

I've tried CBT several times and I have such a hard time talking about my emotions or things from my past. It just feels like so much explaining and half the time I feel like none of it is worth sharing anyway. I can't change it or reverse any damage done, I'm not ruminating on my mistakes or living with regrets. I think I have PTSD from some of the trauma I've been through but It's hard to explain thirty years of mental health problems in one hour broken-up segments.
The problem finding a helpful therapist can seem like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I have my own views about what is the most effective type of therapy and I think that Client Centred Therapy or the Rogerian style of Therapy is one of the most therapeutic kinds of therapy but the Therapists who practice in the spirit of this type of therapy is probably pretty rare.

Last edited: