• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Major depression "from cannabis"

Kaliber

Greenlighter
I have smoked pretty much a few times a week for 3 years (sometimes more sometimes less) and cannabis have had mostly good effects on me. I loved it and it enhanced my life in many ways. It was kind of like it was made for me.

Then one day after some changes in my life, I once got high after a few days sober and the worst ever mindfuck hit me. I had actually made a big misstake that would maybe have ruined my life forever (or certainly at least for about a year), and I couldn't do anything to change it now. I understand that this is something that's hard for you to grasp but it IS actually that bad... It was when I was high that I had realized how serious of a situation this was for me. I felt struck by the lightning, really, and not many people gets struck by a lightning. Also I'm not crazy and I know that the thoughts about the situation are logical.

After this had happened, I've spent 4-5 months in severe depression beyond any words. The first maybe 2 months I was completely suicidal all the time, and now it's just a tiny bit better in some way I guess, but it's still actually just as bad, and I don't know if I'm going to be alive in 1,5 years or so. I also stopped smoking after this and have only smoked once or twice in about 4-5 months, and this was 3-4 months ago (about 1 month after it all had happened).

Although my situation is probably very rare and the worst one of all (however this sounds to you), I just wanted to ask anyway if someone has been through anything similiar to this when smoking weed. If someone can relate in some way.

Then one day after some changes in my life.

It's easy to blame the weed. It might not be it. could be something going on in your life and you don't know what it is. Maybe weed makes it 50% worse, or who knows. if you think it is the weed than you are doing the best thing so far by not smoking it. but most people go through things like this in life. It happens, randomly, just got to ride it. time heals almost everything, and you become more wise.

your past does not define your future. your actions and beliefs do.

It's easy to blame the weed. It might not be it. could be something going on in your life and you don't know what it is. Maybe weed makes it 50% worse, or who knows. if you think it is the weed than you are doing the best thing so far by not smoking it. but most people go through things like this in life. It happens, randomly, just got to ride it. time heals almost everything, and you become more wise.

your past does not define your future. your actions and beliefs do.

I am 100% sure it was not the weed actually, maybe I didn't clear that out so good. To put it short, it was just that the weed made me realize what this situation really ment, and how disgustingly bad it is. It didn't have anything to do with the weed itself, still it made the thing "worse". If things were differently it could instead make my life better. It's complicated.

Chronic marijuana use is linked with increased precedence of depression. This is a pretty well established fact. I've had bouts of depression due to smoking too much, not really from a single event that then ruined me for several months...

Cannabis has never worsened my depression ; my 2 worst depression episodes i was sober the whole time, and i'm surprisingly normal when i'm on a balanced pot-smoking regimen.
I'm not saying weed is an antidepressant but its not causing my depression either.

Welcome to BL, Kaliber! It would be helpful to provide more specific details if you want to elicit better replies. It's not really even clear what the life-ruining mistake you're referring to is about.

It seems as though you were already headed for this breakdown with or without the experience. A lot of times i have found myself in downward spirals when faced with difficult situations, and in my experience any mind altering substance could be capable of sending one over the edge.

Stay strong and do your best to address the issues causing you this depression.

To be completely honest, the culture surrounding marijuana today (especially the growing one in the US) is a really dangerous thing to let happen.

First off, let me state that I love marijuana. It is a great plant that when used properly can enhance life and teach you valuable lessons you might not learn otherwise. But quite frankly, I'm sick of the delusions. Weed is not medicine except in very distinct circumstances. It is not a miracle drug. It's not harmless. It's a drug, just like the rest of 'em.

Marijuana probably played a role in your depression. I was once a daily smoker for a long time and suffered some consequences. I had very severe depression and even what I saw as a state of mild psychosis. It's preposterous to think that you can use a psychoactive substance for hours each day and that your brain is going to be completely fine. Trust me, it's not. Once I finally accepted that I was lying to myself and cut down drastically on my use, my depression (which admittedly wasn't caused only by the weed) decreased drastically and I gained a better understanding and more clarity on my situation. My mind stopped being this fast track of anxiety and random ideas and slowly returned to normal. I slowly regained my focus and normal thought-processes.

Just stay completely clean for a while like you're doing. Exercise, find new hobbies, and just live a normal life. At some point you might find yourself wanting to use marijuana occasionally, and that's great. Perhaps not. Just don't go back to the "multiple times every week" routine. Your situation will improve if you quit. It's probably not the only problem but it's a great step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Weed can cause depression. Period. Not in everybody but for some people it does. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking shit about shit they know nothing about.

To be completely honest, the culture surrounding marijuana today (especially the growing one in the US) is a really dangerous thing to let happen.

First off, let me state that I love marijuana. It is a great plant that when used properly can enhance life and teach you valuable lessons you might not learn otherwise. But quite frankly, I'm sick of the delusions. Weed is not medicine except in very distinct circumstances. It is not a miracle drug. It's not harmless. It's a drug, just like the rest of 'em.

Marijuana probably played a role in your depression. I was once a daily smoker for a long time and suffered some consequences. I had very severe depression and even what I saw as a state of mild psychosis. It's preposterous to think that you can use a psychoactive substance for hours each day and that your brain is going to be completely fine. Trust me, it's not. Once I finally accepted that I was lying to myself and cut down drastically on my use, my depression (which admittedly wasn't caused only by the weed) decreased drastically and I gained a better understanding and more clarity on my situation. My mind stopped being this fast track of anxiety and random ideas and slowly returned to normal. I slowly regained my focus and normal thought-processes.

Just stay completely clean for a while like you're doing. Exercise, find new hobbies, and just live a normal life. At some point you might find yourself wanting to use marijuana occasionally, and that's great. Perhaps not. Just don't go back to the "multiple times every week" routine. Your situation will improve if you quit. It's probably not the only problem but it's a great step in the right direction.

I agree with this. Although there is a huge stigma against weed, there is also a rising repulsion to this stigma of people who say its completely harmless. To say that it is completely harmless is to say that it has no other effect beyond making you feel good for a few hours. The whole "happy hungry sleepy is all it does" mindset can be very problematic, and I say this coming from having experienced those problems first hand as well. Compared to most drugs, the side effects are minimal and tend not to be that long of lasting. Most drugs would kill you in a few years if used like a lot of people use weed- all day every day.