mailing shit - since the other thread was closed

ether_synth

Bluelighter
i was searching for discussions about mailing shit and what the consequences are, what legal action is taken.

so....what are the consequences of getting caught? would it be the same as though you were caught with it on your person? also, how the hell would you even get caught if it's mailed anonymously with no return address?

mail what, specifically, and how much?

i'm sure someone could quote you the statutory penalty, but as always, a lot is going to depend on the surrounding circumstances under which you are busted.

specifically a small amount of X.....like 5 or 10 pills. my biggest curiosity is if it is found, how the hell do they know where it came from if there is no return address?

wtfunk i dont see my post...

anyways, whom ever signs for the package will get locked up.

what if someone sends me a nice birthday present for my daughter in the mail and it has drugs in it that i didn't know about? i'd get locked up?

Under the federal Controlled Substances Act

Section 844. Penalties for simple possession

It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess a controlled substance ... Any person who violates this subsection may be sentenced to a term of imprisonment of not more than 1 year

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/casecode/uscodes/21/chapters/13/subchapters/i/parts/d/toc.html

===

but sending drugs through the mail will likely amount to distribution, which could amount to many years in prison.

and one should not underestimate the security abilities of delivery services. with heightend terror concerns, the USPS and other couriers have upgraded and modernized with many types of detection equipment. there is much more to it than just return addresses.

no one here is going to give advice on how to "beat the system." no one can handicap the chances for getting caught either. it's enough to say that mailing drugs is illegal and dangerous for anyone who values their freedom.

Last edited:
While I'm sure tons of things get mailed and recieved in the mail every day, should you get caught doing so would be way worse than simply being caught with the drugs on you.

For one, it becomes federal. You got your drugs across state lines.

Two, it could be considered distribution.

And plus, your going to get charged for the actual drugs too.

Best advice I have? DON'T mail anything. Mail fraud is federal, and much worse than just simple possession. You looking for a federal case? Especially if you plan on mailing anything, DON'T post about it here, don't be stupid. Many things make it through the mail everyday, but posting about it makes it all the more DUMB, don't let people know you plan on or are expecting anything in the mail.

^ Seeing as you're not the original poster, can you say why you want the thread deleted?

Zagenth said:
Best advice I have? DON'T mail anything. Mail fraud is federal, and much worse than just simple possession.

Dude, It aint mail fraud. where the hell did you get fraud from. What type of fraud is involved in this? All mail related things are federal. fraud aint got nothing to do with this, who is misrepresenting themself makin it fraud? you aint rippin nobody off, you aint faking nothing. it might be illegal, but it aint fraud.

Second, to whoever said "if you sign for it you get locked up" you dont sign for all packages. the majority of packages dont get signed for they just get left at your mailbox.

Third, the postal service dont just check every package. they aint got time for that. unless it is suspicious, it will get left alone.

letters do not really get checked, mostly it is just packages that they would inspect. i aint sayin you should do it just that its really alot less strick than you think.

Some things in response to misconceptions noted above:

1. Simply receiving contraband in the mail is not evidence that you committed a crime, and does not necessarily mean you will be locked up. Anybody could send you anything: a jilted lover, a business competitor, someone who didn't like you in elementary school.

A prosecutor is going to have to come up with more than the simple event itself to make a charge stick without reasonable doubt (this could include evidence of past deliveries, payment records, or evidence of association with the sender). This is one reason why so many customs seizures result in love letters and not controlled deliveries/arrests.

2. It would be a mistake to think that letters aren't subject to computerized checks, because ironically they do it mainly to reduce the number of undeliverable items (wrong adress, nonexistent address, etc.) making it very far into the system.

[edited - removed what could fall under "tips" for sending contraband through the mail -bq]

Last edited by a moderator:
ok, peeps. i know it's a fine line, but let's keep this discussion about legal issues rather than law enforcement issues -- otherwise we get too close to giving criminal advice, something which is definitely not allowed here.