Magic mushrooms legal status in the world

space73

Bluelighter
Is magic mushrooms `(ex: P cubensis) legal to sell or grow in USA?
How is the laws in UK?

In scandinavia it is totally forbidden.

What do you think about this - is it a harmless "drug" that you think should be aviable in your supermarket - or is good to restrict it?

In the UK, fresh shrooms are legal to buy. Dried shrooms are class A.

I'd legalise every drug yet invented. If people are allowed to drive cars, climb mountains etc they should be allowed to take drugs.

Illegal mate! Illegal!

Don't quote me on this, but if my memory serves me right a recent amendment of the 1971 International convention on Psychotropic Substances (with subsequent revisions of most National Narcotics Laws in all Western European countries, i.e. Europe, USA, Canada, Australia etc) Psilocybin (4-OPO-DMT, 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine) and its dephosphorylated precursor Psilocin (4-HO-DMT, 4-hydroxy--N,N-dimethyltryptamine) as well as all possible chemical analogues were deemed illegal.

Thus, illegality in countries abiding with the international conventions is not - or should not - be based on the species of fungi, but it's chemical content. So, anything containing these indole alkaloids be it any species of flora or fauna, or synthetically produced, is highly illegal. Now, I am not sure if all countries have caught up with this change - having come across lots of Psilocybe species for sale in Denmark and Holland a few years ago - or if I simply confuse facts? However, personally, I would not like to be caught with Psilocybe mushrooms in the US or UK.

Mushrooms are fairly harmless if used in the right way. Remember that traditional use always has been restricted to shamans who have had a several year training to learn to understand and handle the drug. Give a good dose to some depressed or action seeking urban teenager on a friday night and it is very likely to put him or her in the emeremergency room with a bad case of acute druginduced psychosis. In my opinion Psilocybin mushrooms should be restricted to persons above 30 y.o., but certainly not made illegal!

If alcohol and nicotine can be legal, then why not Psilocybin?

Last edited:
Re: Illegal mate! Illegal!

pete_johns said:
However, personally, I would not like to be caught with Psilocybe mushrooms in the US or UK.

Police can not do anything about someone possessing fresh shrooms in the uk. We have shops and market stoles selling shrooms however the best ones are bought off the net most offline stores only sell truffles due to them being easier to store.

i know that in tennesse, no matter how much mushrooms you get caught with, you only get possesion. even if you have like 3 pounds in your trunk, they can only bust you with simple possession.

In California from what I know you get charged with possesion and manslaughter if you have a cell phone on you (they say the cell phone is probable cause that you are selling.) I know of two people who got busted with 2 dry pounds in their car in my county and got charged 30 years with no parole... Fucked up, eh?

Yeah california is very tough i hear. Apparently it is illegal to even posess shroom spores! Glad i live in aus.. they are classified as decorative or some shit.. but most reserves prohibit taking plants, fungus from them anyways

Illegal mate! Illegal!

Well, I do not reside in the US so I do not know what the "street" situation looks like, but this is what the US Federal Law stipulates:

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 21, Volume 9
Revised as of April 1, 2003
From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access
CITE: 21CFR1308.11

TITLE 21--FOOD AND DRUGS

CHAPTER II--FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES

PART 1308--SCHEDULES OF CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES

Sec. 1308.11 Schedule I.

(a) Schedule I shall consist of the drugs and other substances, by
whatever official name, common or usual name, chemical name, or brand
name designated, listed in this section. Each drug or substance has been
assigned the DEA Controlled Substances Code Number set forth opposite
it.

(d) Hallucinogenic substances. Unless specifically excepted or
unless listed in another schedule, any material, compound, mixture, or
preparation, which contains any quantity of the following hallucinogenic
substances, or which contains any of its salts, isomers, and salts of
isomers whenever the existence of such salts, isomers, and salts of
isomers is possible within the specific chemical designation (for
purposes of this paragraph only, the term ``isomer`` includes the
optical, position and geometric isomers):

Substance........................................................ CODE

(25) Psilocybin.................................................. 7437
(26) Psilocyn..................................................... 7438

And according to US drug equivalency tables:

1 gm of Mushrooms containing Psilocin and/or Psilocybin (Dry) = 1 gm of marihuana
1 gm of Mushrooms containing Psilocin and/or Psilocybin (Wet) = 0.1 gm of marihuana

= WHAT A BUMMER!!

AS far as I know, in Belgium and the Netherlands, it is illigal to possess or sell dried mushrooms or any other preparation, or it's active substances (psilocin and psilocybin) but you can have the fresh ones if not intended for drug consumption (you can consume them by accident as poisonous mushrooms althugh)
in the Netherlands fresh mushrooms are sold for tripping purpose, although officially as food additive, in Smart Shops. Dried can't be sold any more, although there are still places who realise it's better to sell them dry (often fresh ones start having other fungi on it when not sold quick enough, they pushed the price of shrooms up)

in practice, I think police wil seize every mushroom identified as psychedelic, fresh or not (in Belgium, don't know netherlands), although the prosecution will only be done if you say stupid things (like: Yes Sir, i did buy 'em to get damn high, instead of, they said it was innocent and I would feel better and more relaxed if I ate a bit after my meal, or I was planning to dry them and hang 'em on the wall, I didn't knew it would get me high)

I live in The Netherlands and fresh shrooms are indeed legal...as well as San Pedro and Peyote cacti. Dried shrooms are (as mentioned) illegal, but a lot of smartshops still sell them (and they propably have nothing to worry about).
A lot of smartshops even sell stuff with mushrooms in it (like chocolate bars and stuff) altough it's not legal.

You don't get into trouble if you're caught having fresh or dried shrooms for tripping purposes. They propably won't even take them from you...

Yeah, that's right.
I bought 3 chocolate bars with each bar containing 3,5 grams of P cubensis shrooms in 'm for 12 euro's per bar.

So tonight it's partytime ;)

I asked the police and even the bars are not completely illegal.
It's not legal, but they don't do anything if you get caught with anything below 2 kilograms!

Holland, what a good place to live for drug users :D

Chris

sk8punk151 said:
In California from what I know you get charged with possesion and manslaughter if you have a cell phone on you (they say the cell phone is probable cause that you are selling.) I know of two people who got busted with 2 dry pounds in their car in my county and got charged 30 years with no parole... Fucked up, eh?

I don't quite believe this; while recent cases have shown that drug dealers can be charged with manslaughter if the person who buys the drugs dies (as happened in a heroin case), merely possessing a cell phone has nothing to do with manslaughter.

That said, what a poster above mentioned about spores even being illegal is absolutely true. I believe this was a recent change to the law, also; a friend of mine ordered some spores in syringes once, then was alerted of the law forbidding spore possession, so he had to decide between obtaining an out-of-state PO box or giving up his project.