View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Magic Mushrooms-first time

Soaringstar

Greenlighter
So I'm 17 and I want to try shrooms for the first time this summer. Two of the three friends I'm planning on doing it with have done them before and loved the experience. I'm really excited and I've wanted to try them for a long time, but I'm also nervous. I've been smoking weed every weekend for about a year and I love getting high, but sometimes the physical effects make me nervous. For instance, I often have a racing heart beat and sometimes feel like my chest could explode. I never freak out, but I feel uncomfortable when this happens and it can make me paranoid. I'm worried I'll have a similar physical response with shrooms but won't be able to calm down and so I'll have a bad trip. So basically I'm curious as to what types of physical responses you get from shrooms and if they're similar in any way to the pounding heart experience. Also, any tips on dosage would be great (I'm a very small girl- about 5'1"). Thanks!

Set & setting. Have benzos on hand if you're really worried about having a bad trip.

IMO you shouldn't worry about having a bad trip because this can manifest those negative feelings during the trip.

Have fun.

I would probably start with 1-1.5 grams. Grind it up into dust in a coffee grinder first. I agree having benzos on hand would be great if you can get them.

You may have a bad trip. It happens. If you're in a comfortable environment with people you trust, the chances are pretty low, however. If you start to have a bad trip, don't underestimate the power of positive thinking. It sounds silly, but you can turn a bad trip into a fun one with some effort. Just try to enjoy the experience, low dose mushrooms are almost guaranteed to be fun.

I envy you. I wish I could do psilocybin again for the first time.

It's always been good for me (and I've done it a lot, never had a bad trip, knock on wood), but the first time was like "HOLY GODDAMN FUCKING SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!" Anticipate that and don't procrastinate about having a bad trip, that's my advice.

I envy you. I wish I could do psilocybin again for the first time.

It's always been good for me (and I've done it a lot, never had a bad trip, knock on wood), but the first time was like "HOLY GODDAMN FUCKING SHIT THIS IS AWESOME!" Anticipate that and don't procrastinate about having a bad trip, that's my advice.

Hahaha that was EXACTLY my experience! I still think it was better than any acid trip I've had. Really quite intense.. anyway, I agree with what's been said about positive thinking. You really can get out of a bad situation with a strong positive attitude.. just don't fight the trip, surrender yourself to it. Set and setting is pretty important too. Good luck my friend and let us know how it goes!

Awesome thanks everyone this was really helpful and calmed me down a lot. Can you get benzos at like cvs?

lmao no they are prescription. it's mind over matter just think positive you don't need any benzos.

Yea benzo's really aren't necessary. Mind over matter really is key. Plus they can dull the trip. I like taking shrooms by themselves with no other substances involved, whether it's good or bad it's how you get the full effect of the trip. Some bud is fine, but can make shit bump up a level or 2 so be careful. I personally don't enjoy weed anymore, I only use it as medicine for its physical effects. My best trips have been the substance by itself.. when you give shrooms a go, (depending on the situation) I would suggest looking into to getting some acid from a reliable source if it's available to you. People often compare the two but I think that they're completely different. Both are deliciously good :)

Maybe ask a little bit around and you will find somebody that got a script for benzos and while share one or two. Not that you should take them, but it can make it a lot easyer to have in mind that there is something on hand to dull the trip. Mushrooms can become confusing, but it goes away. The key in my eyes is distraction. Just the thought of beeing able to dull the trip can be enough to calm down. It can also give you some safety and confidence, before you consume them.

Benzos as in benzodiazepines. Valium, xanax, klonapin, etc. You can find etizolam pretty easily on the Internet as well (not a benzo, but functions pretty much identically).

I agree with the above poster, benzos aren't really for taking anyway. They're for easing your mind from just being available in case you're having a bad time. Which you won't because you have benzos. It's kind of circular, but it works. :D

Alright yeah that makes a lot of sense. Like a mind trick haha. You guys don't think 17 is too young do you? Some people say it is but I think I'm ready for it.

Alright yeah that makes a lot of sense. Like a mind trick haha. You guys don't think 17 is too young do you? Some people say it is but I think I'm ready for it.

That's the same age at which I first tried mushrooms. For some people it may be too young, for others it's perfect. Just don't let your drug usage get out of control at that age. But the fact that you're asking questions on a harm reduction forum is a good sign.

Have fun, I'd take about 2 grams for your first time. That's around what I took and my first mushroom trip was a blissful and divine experience, the sort of magical splendor you innately know will only ever happen once.

If you have never tripped start on a low dose. 1-2 grams. Make sure you don't have anything planned for that day no work or school etc. I usually turn my phone off too. Do them in a good setting; I prefer being outside in nature.

If you are anxious about having a bad trip maybe you should consider having a sitter? But you sound like you are going into it with a positive attitude and as long as you start with a relatively low dose youll be fine :) Have fun!

P.s. But if by some chance you do start feeling really anxious don't try and fight it. Just "go with the flow" as they say and realize it will be over soon and isn't going to last forever.

Last edited:
Body weight or size may not affect reponse to dosage of mushrooms like it will with many other drugs, but it is best to start rather low anyway. The suggestion of 2 gram is smart, I wouldn't go over it. For my first time I took 3/4 portion of 30 grams fresh (which is 3 grams dry), so 2.25 g and it was pretty strong. (I knew very little about the topic at the time).

A racing heart, paranoia, confusion etc. are normal symptoms of cannabis overdose... they shouldn't usually happen with mushrooms, but overdosing on mushrooms is definitely challenging and can cause its own brand of anxiety. Don't worry about it though, it should be okay as long as you just dose low as suggested and realize that mushrooms are natural products and potency may vary. You can make sure the potency is spread evenly by mixing the mushrooms in some way and dividing the portions between you and your friends after that. It helps average out flukes in potency so that you get a more consistent reaction.
Still individual reactions vary. If the effects are strong, just go with it. They can't hurt you so just surrender to the trip.

If you have friends you can trust, let them instruct and guide you. Also prepare by making sure the 'set and setting' are in order. Trip in a safe, controllable situation.

have a great experience! <3

would love to get mushrooms, ppl direct msg me or leave a contact for you to link me up with some shrooms, srs ppl only

That's the same age at which I first tried mushrooms. For some people it may be too young, for others it's perfect. Just don't let your drug usage get out of control at that age. But the fact that you're asking questions on a harm reduction forum is a good sign.

Have fun, I'd take about 2 grams for your first time. That's around what I took and my first mushroom trip was a blissful and divine experience, the sort of magical splendor you innately know will only ever happen once.

personally I first tried them at 14, and to be honest I didn't feel it was too early. I always had an oddly intriguing interest in psychedelics and other hallucinogens. believe it or not, shrooms were actually the first thing I ever tried. even before weed and alcohol.. but man. have psychedelics changed my life or what!? :) I'm a much happier person because of it. these powerful substances can truly have such powerful healing long lasting positive effects. more than any other kind of substance known to man..

83 minutes later..... ingested 30 mg of ultra pure 2-cb weighed out on milligram scale. this is going to be a special night, to say the least. love to you all at bluelight! keep the positivity and good vibes going :)

would love to get mushrooms, ppl direct msg me or leave a contact for you to link me up with some shrooms, srs ppl only

Should I shout? NO SOURCINg ALLOWED.

Really; offs for what you would spend on an ounce you could start growing your own.

Tom