• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Magic mushrooms and health conditions?

Ray86

Greenlighter
I will try to keep this as brief as possible for the amount of information I need to divulge in order to receive beneficial answers. I have depression, anxiety and daily panic attacks. I have done shrooms several times in the past and know first hand that they help tremendously with my mental health. It's probably been ten years since my last trip. Since then I have been on countless antidepressants/anxiety meds. The antidepressants were not effective and the last one I was on caused me to have panic attacks upon waking everyday without fail for 2 years and counting. The only anxiety meds that work for me are benzos which is something I'd like to avoid since I'm already on opiates pain meds due to my multiple sclerosis and don't want to increase my risk for addiction. Anyways, I'm done playing guinea pig with psych meds and I am planning my own prescription. A half an eighth of mushrooms once every six months. The only problem is, I haven't used them since my MS started and so I don't know if it will have a negative physical affect on me. I just spent the last six hours trying to find some kind of information or research on this and found very little but from what I gathered, it seems to have the possibility of actually helping? I don't speak all the "cyp2d hy enzyme" language crap though so I'm not sure I understood things accurately. Does anybody have MS and been ok doing shrooms or know someone who has?
The second part of this: I plan on taking my first dose this August. In six months I'll take my second and I'd like to go to visit my dad (who I haven't seen in eight years) and trip with him. It would be his first trip ever and he's really stoked about it. He doesn't scare easy so I'm not worried that he'll go into a bad trip. Plus I was dubbed the trip doctor years ago for bringing anyone out of a bad one without fail;) what I'm concerned about is, my dad has had two heart attacks. He doesn't have a heart condition. It was due to living extremely unhealthy and being overly stressed. That was years ago, he had surgery and has had no problems since and is in good health and has been since the surgery. I love my dad and would love to experience something so magical with him and to give him the gift of experiencing something so unique and beautiful. I also want to take caution for the both of us and could use some advice and some relatable stories.
Once again thank you bluelighters for any light you can shed on this matter.

You really should be asking a doctor about this instead of strangers here on bluelight. Be honest with the doctor about any drugs you use and about your father's health, your dad should talk to his cardiologist, and it's best if you both avoid using drugs since you have MS and your dad has heart issues. Stay safe.

If you have various mental illnesses such as depression, anxiety, panic attacks, etc. self medicating with drugs like mushrooms or whatever else you are taking will only make things worse.

Last edited:
PriestTheyCalledHim is right about asking a doctor about drug interactions, and hopefully you can find an open minded one with some knowledge on the subject. I would feel uncomfortable saying 'go ahead, I can't foresee any issues' because I lack any real qualifications.
Except for in the case of depression. There is a great deal of scientific evidence supporting the use of mushrooms to treat chronic depression, particularly when it is coupled with a lifelong or terminal illness.

Mushrooms do have potential and I certainly believe that they worked in the past, but just realize that it is very hard to rely on them and if you have a negative, confusing and/or panicked trip which can always happen esp with some of those mental problems... you would be a long way from home.
Psychiatric medications may not always work but the whole treatment and being monitored are a big difference in terms of trying to keep you on the rails. Psychedelics can rewire you, which if it happens positively can help a lot. If negatively it can really screw things up even much worse. If there were such a thing as a psychiatric institution prescribing those mushrooms, guiding you before during and after I would say go for it. So if you are adamant you should at least arrange everything so that you still get that kind of guidance and help during every stage from as qualified people as possible.

@MS interactions: yeah neurology things like that are beyond us.

I got this itty bit though: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0022519383904356

Myelin basic protein involved in diseases like MS can bind various neurotransmitters like serotonin and also various serotonergic psychedelics. However it is unclear what role is played by the neurotransmitters and thus what effect taking psychedelics might have. Could be a pretty damn nasty body trip at least.

Last edited:
@MS interactions: yeah neurology things like that are beyond us.

Could be a pretty damn nasty body trip at least.
^Yeah my concern with using mushrooms with MS or heart issues is the possible vasoconstriction. This could reduce bloodflow to nerves and cause nerve pain/weakness/further degeneration, and in the case of heart issues, constricting clogged arteries wouldn't be the best idea. Don't be afraid to call an ambulance.

For what its worth, one psychedelic tested was noted to have an anti-inflammatory effect in cardiac tissue culture. That may not necessarily apply to mushrooms used in a living human.

I want to start by saying thank you to all of you for taking the time to reply to my post.
Asking a doctor is tricky in my position. My insurance seems to only cover doctor's who have graduated from the same University and although they are well educated in medicine, they seem to all have the same closed off mindset when it comes to any alternative treatment options and usually won't even entertain any alternative I've ever mentioned. I'm also going to a pain clinic and could risk getting kicked out of it for asking about an illegal treatment option.
I'm not really worried about having a bad trip. I've had a few trips during which the trauma I suffered as a child crept into my mind and although the emotions were intense and caused me to feel sadness, I still didn't go into a bad trip. Shrooms have only ever benefited my psychological health leaving me in a much better state for about six months after each trip.
Cotcha yankinov, I actually just read an article on the anti-inflammatory effects and it did list MS as one of the illnesses it does that for. Granted the article seemed to be more speculation and educated guessing than tests/trials but positive nonetheless. Maybe we read the same one?
Solipsis, thank you for the link. I don't believe I've run access that one yet. I'm going to read it right now.
If anyone else has anything to add, I appreciate any info.
I do sense quite a bit of worry coming from some of you so I want to point out that I never make decisions that could affect my health without first doing hefty research (having MS doesn't give me the luxury of taking those chances) so Google will be my best friend for the next month and I'm not making any decisions until I feel I've gathered sufficient information. 2nd, my dad did go to medical school and he's a lot less worried about it than I am.
If I do decide to go through with it, I'd like to post what the physical and mental results were for me in hopes that if there is somebody else with MS with the same questions there would at least be a relatable story for them to think about. Only thing is, I still can't figure out where I'm supposed to post things which is why my posts are always in the homeless section :/

Solipsis, I checked out the link you posted. I'm not sure if it took me to the right place. There was a single paragraph and it was about LSD. I'd be curious to find out if shrooms would have similar effects in this case since they both seem to work for a lot of the same things already.

I see, interesting... however these different concerns mentioned are not mutually exclusive, there may be effects produced that are beneficial while others are detrimental with your condition. Since the beneficial effects would be highly experimental and you would only be looking at an incidental dose rather than say a daily regimen, any such benefits might as well be ignored when considering taking one of these psychedelics. At least I would not let any such supposed positive outweigh a negative - the negative would be deciding.
This ^ article isn't concerned with complications of taking tryptamines with MS that are unrelated to their topic.

Bottom line is I would think of it as an unknown chance of complications. We don't know what it is and it is possible it is much lower than say a fifty-fifty, I can see how your dad isn't extremely concerned [edit: oh I mistakenly thought it was about your dad's concern about you], but you'd still be taking a chance. You always are with drugs of course, but obviously this is a little different.

Recently there was another bluelighter here very concerned about possible [mostly chronic!!] cardiac effects from [chronic use of] LSD and mushrooms, committed to find out which one would be safer or unsafer... I don't think much could be said conclusively after a hefty bit of researching, it's a complicated matter. But yes much more simply considered there are differences in vasoconstriction or stimulation that would apply to you and your heart but even then I couldn't really pick any winner or loser. Sorry.
How do you respond to natural stimulation from excitement or getting a sudden scare etc? The less you can tolerate those even for a short while, the less wise it would be to take something that would basically put you at a stimulated level for hours.

Moving this over to the neuroscience and pharmacology forum since it's pretty technical and complicated to give responsible advice.

Last edited:
Solipsis, thank you for the response. You obviously took the time to put a lot of thought into it. I've been researching nonstop for both mine and my dad's health conditions. One thing I left out was that my dad does takes Lisinopril for his blood pressure. I haven't been able to find anything stating whether or not there would be a drug interaction with that. I'm going to continue doing research until my visit with him in January. If I can't find enough information on the subject by then, I just won't trip with him.
As far as my health goes, I'd like to trip this August. I'm thinking I'll try a very small dose. Something that will still cause me to feel the effects but not be strong enough for me to be unable to take note of any possible effects to my MS.
I handle natural stimulation pretty normal I think. And although it's been ten years since my last trip, I remember most of what I personally go through. I know it always starts with anxiety which melts away once the trip really starts. I just don't remember how long that anxiety stage lasts? And also, from what I remember, making tea out of the shrooms makes it kick in faster which leads me to believe it would get you past the anxiety stage faster as well. Do you know if that's accurate? Thanks:)

Not really in my experience, a fast onset just like with pure 4-HO tryptamines including psilocin itself can make the effects ramp up so quickly that it gets more overwhelming, and the first part of a trip can partially set the tone for the peak (though it may be too much to say it sets the tone for the whole trip).
On the other hand I think tea is mostly far superior to eating them if you are not chewing them extremely well (which granted does not taste good to a lot of people) but chewing well is definitely recommended for digestion too.
Nevertheless tea wouldn't be a bad plan.

It's smart to start low if you are adamant! Probably better to first see how your body responds with mild effects, because if it would be so detrimental or exhausting etc that you couldn't really do a repeat after that it would mean that jumping into the deep end with a full dose logically would have been worse, all other things being equal...

Ray86 good luck and take care! I am glad to see you are researching this thoroughly. Can we look forward to a detailed trip report if you decide to follow through with the trip?

Solipsis, I guess I am pretty adamant about it lol. I've been on so may antidepressants with no luck and loads of side effects. I know the shrooms help me significantly so I feel it's worth a try. I will be careful though and keep researching even after my first dose. I do have a couple more questions that I didn't think about before. 1) I've been on opiate pain killers for months now for my MS. My doctor has been trying to get me on an ER med but so far I have really awful side effects to them. I have consistently been on oxycodone though and after being on them this long, I don't imagine I can skip a day without going through withdrawals. I know it will probably take from the psychological and spiritual experience of the shroom trip some but will it be a dangerous combination? 2) if my doc puts me on a new er med, it will be another opiate. Should I hold off on starting it?
Iksaxophone, I will absolutely follow up with a detailed report. Since it would be largely focused on the effects, or lack thereof, on my MS but also the psychological outcome, where should I post it?
Once again, thank you to everyone who took the time to reply. This website is incredible. It's amazing to have such a strong support system and to have complete strangers​ show so much care in others struggles. I've visited some of the other websites similar to this one and it's a whole different atmosphere. I love this site!

i read the 1st 2 lines, i just had my 1st trip of season yesterday and felt the affects from it yesterda, , i was back to my old self i hadnt realised id become self absorbed, it has the feeling off feeling what others are. and in the ast it always cured my depression or downer moods

Best of luck to you, we all wish you and your father a good trip :)

One piece of advice - it's okay to take a small dose to dip your toes in the water first. An adage that has done me well is to essentially (specifically with cubensis) take half an 1/8th and then take the other half of the 1/8th 45 minutes later if you're still doing okay. You may not have as high of a peak but it is at least safer.

You can always put the cookies back in the oven for more time, it's hard to unburn them though ;)

Best of luck to you, we all wish you and your father a good trip :)

One piece of advice - it's okay to take a small dose to dip your toes in the water first. An adage that has done me well is to essentially (specifically with cubensis) take half an 1/8th and then take the other half of the 1/8th 45 minutes later if you're still doing okay. You may not have as high of a peak but it is at least safer.

You can always put the cookies back in the oven for more time, it's hard to unburn them though ;)

Studies have shown that with only one magic mushroom trip (2grams is the international academic as well as medical standard to be considered a dose or one trip).

Cluster headaches are relieved for up to 3 months after one dose/trip and also depression is lessened/not experienced/have diminished temporarily for almost up to a month afterwards.

Cotcha yankinov, thank you got the reply. I have never taken more than half an eighth for a trip. It seems to be the perfect amount for me with plenty of visuals (and I'm talkin a tiny vine taking over an entire very large living room type visuals) and a good solid spiritual experience.
JK25, The benefit of the psychological effects vary from person to person. For me, one trip lowers my anxiety and depression significantly for about six months. I think the average is 6-12 months if I remember accurately. For some, it's a lifetime although I believe that's not nearly as common. Pretty interesting stuff:)

Cotcha yankinov, thank you got the reply. I have never taken more than half an eighth for a trip. It seems to be the perfect amount for me with plenty of visuals (and I'm talkin a tiny vine taking over an entire very large living room type visuals) and a good solid spiritual experience.
JK25, The benefit of the psychological effects vary from person to person. For me, one trip lowers my anxiety and depression significantly for about six months. I think the average is 6-12 months if I remember accurately. For some, it's a lifetime although I believe that's not nearly as common. Pretty interesting stuff:)

Yip, after my first Woodstock where I only dosed once with 2 grams (amongst the 5-6 other substances I took over 3 days, but this was my very first experience with mushrooms) I felt an elevated mood for many, many months thereafter. And yes I can pinpoint it to being the shrooms as the same happened after I took shrooms and only shrooms later that year.

I believe it. I did quite a bit of acid and shrooms years ago and I certainly felt that the psychological benefit I was getting was from the shrooms. I know acid is supposed to have that affect as well but shrooms are what have always worked for me.

There not called magic for nothing, They can cure any mental condition your experiencing at this time in your life, Since Iv taken them again almost a week ago my happiness has remained and I find myself laughing at my own thoughts just being silly really, It feels so good to regain the ability to make things fun and enjoyable again, I have also got back in touch with my sisters kid's and openly talk with her as we always did she has been my closest sister for ever, Then I have another sister who has a daughter who is very rude and has no respect for anyone. She tried to tell me not to do something the other day and I replied saying she is only a child and has no right to tell me what I can and can not do, My sister though started screaming abuse at me calling me a druggo dole bludger etc. in front of her kids, Instead of losing my temper I just let it go and pretend it didn't happen and yesterday I spent all day resetting her new laptop so it was like new again.. I rekon she must not have known what to do with me being nice to her so close to a arguement between us,
I know its the mushrooms which have opened up pathways in my brain again and im aware of it so im using it for as much growth and healing I can get from it