View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Magic Mushrooms and Chest Pains?

afellowtripper

Greenlighter
It seems that whenever I take mushrooms various muscles will experience some degree of pain, mostly feel like cramping. But, the ones that annoy me the most are muscles in my chest. Last night I took approx. 5g of fresh shrooms (it was enjoyable with CEVs and at one point briefly OEVs). I got the usual GI discomfort throughout the trip but about a couple hours in my chest started to hurt. I've had chest pain in previous mushroom trips as well but I never get any sort of physical discomfort when I take LSD. The pain never stayed in any one spot either - front, back, center, right, left, it moved around. Sometimes the pain would feel kind of sharp as I breathed in, especially deep breaths. For a little while, I laid down and took shallow breaths which helped.

I looked into the anatomy of the muscles around the chest and see that there are the internal and external intercostal muscles connecting the ribs together and play an important role in breathing (particularly to allow the ribs to expand and contract); this would make sense that if some of those muscles are cramping that breathing can make it hurt a little bit more. I believe there is nothing to worry about but it is kind of annoying to have these pains. I do get other muscles (in my arms) that feel like they cramp up as well but only briefly. The dose doesn't seem to be a factor since in the past I have taken higher doses with more intense subjective effects but the pain doesn't get any more (or any less) intensive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this and were able to find a way to make it go away or at least reduce the severity?

This is the first I've heard of this, but if the pain is severe, then maybe you should avoid shrooms..

- HS

Hmm, I wouldn't say it's severe but it is bad enough to be quite uncomfortable. I can be a bit stubborn, so it hasn't put me off from using them again. I have just been reading some general information on muscle cramps; I don't know if it will help but I can give magnesium supplementation a try and follow up over the long weekend.

Maybe you are tricking yourself into thinking you feel chest pains? Mushrooms definitely shouldn't have any affect on the muscles and it shouldn't make you feel any type of physical pain.

I've certainly noticed it with B+; I've had a few other strains in the past - I don't recall what they were - and I did experience it with those as well. I'll have Creepers in a few weeks and Lipa Yai in about a month. I can find out if it happens with those strains as well but I suspect that I will.

I have had interesting things happen because of my imagination (sometimes leading to difficult experiences) but pain has never been one of those things. I don't think I am tricking myself into thinking I have chest pains. From my past experiences with shrooms I had expected to have a similar response when I took LSD. I believe if I was tricking myself into thinking I have chest pain I would have also experienced that with LSD as well but I get no such reaction. I get quite a bit of GI discomfort as well so I drink teas and strain the shrooms out but even with that I still get some GI discomfort and I burp a lot too! I doubt I'm imagining the pain but it's also not improbable.

Alright, I have stocked up on magnesium - 500mg tablets. It's time to for me to carry out a little experiment over the next few weeks. In the first trial I shall take a dose of magic mushrooms - probably 2g dry (will be consistent weight of dry mushrooms throughout the experiment though I can't guarantee weight of psilocybin will be consistent) - and 500mg tablet of magnesium. I first want to see if there is any difference at least knowing that I've taken magnesium recognizing that there could also be a placebo effect. The next 4 trials shall be blind: 2 with 500mg of magnesium each and the other 2 placebos. I'll have to mask the magnesium tablets to look like the placebos and have some way to track which ones I took and during which trial without knowing whether I took a placebo or the magnesium until after the last trial has been completed. Each of these shall be just the one dose of magnesium (or placebo) 1 hour prior to consuming a mushrooms tea spaced 1 week apart. I shall update this thread after each trial, just some brief notes on how I felt and then my findings at the end. This is of course an experiment with a sample size of 1 :p (and a happy participant, hehe) so it's not going to be of much statistical significance but maybe it can shed a little bit of light on why I am experiencing these pains (or not).

If anyone has any parameters I should be noting or should be of some interest let me know and I can take notes for several parameters. Otherwise, I'll just be noting any pain that I experience and what I think is the severity of the pain at the time. The first trial begins this weekend :D

It seems that whenever I take mushrooms various muscles will experience some degree of pain, mostly feel like cramping. But, the ones that annoy me the most are muscles in my chest. Last night I took approx. 5g of fresh shrooms (it was enjoyable with CEVs and at one point briefly OEVs). I got the usual GI discomfort throughout the trip but about a couple hours in my chest started to hurt. I've had chest pain in previous mushroom trips as well but I never get any sort of physical discomfort when I take LSD. The pain never stayed in any one spot either - front, back, center, right, left, it moved around. Sometimes the pain would feel kind of sharp as I breathed in, especially deep breaths. For a little while, I laid down and took shallow breaths which helped.

I looked into the anatomy of the muscles around the chest and see that there are the internal and external intercostal muscles connecting the ribs together and play an important role in breathing (particularly to allow the ribs to expand and contract); this would make sense that if some of those muscles are cramping that breathing can make it hurt a little bit more. I believe there is nothing to worry about but it is kind of annoying to have these pains. I do get other muscles (in my arms) that feel like they cramp up as well but only briefly. The dose doesn't seem to be a factor since in the past I have taken higher doses with more intense subjective effects but the pain doesn't get any more (or any less) intensive.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this and were able to find a way to make it go away or at least reduce the severity?

Sure. I have experienced that. In my experience, it's mostly a hallucination. Changing venue will make the pain disappear almost instantly. Next time you have discomfort during a trip, try changing the conversation, what you're doing, or where you are. Go for a nice walk. :) Or if you're too far gone for that level of control, let your sitter know to switch things up if you complain of pain.

If your having rather bad abdominal pains, these"chest pains" you describe sound very much like when I get bad heartburn

Try some Zantac and see if that helps

And what type of magnesium are you using?

Hehehe, I actually did go for a walk; on my way back home was when I first noticed the pain. I was only out for half an hour but I swear I could have walked for another hour. When I got back home I still had the pain. I went upstairs and put some music on. Then played my guitar (that always is able to change the direction of trips for me). I went to my bedroom and laid down... still pain. Then went back and played my guitar again. It wasn't severe but it was uncomfortable for about an hour or so.

I suppose it could be heart burn. I don't normally get it but there is the rare time I do get it and it just feels like a burning sensation in my throat and the center of my chest. Then again, I was tripping and the pain signals may feel like they are coming from all over my chest front and back, left, right, and center! I'm still going to try the magnesium first but if that doesn't work then I'll take something like Zantac and see if that helps instead. If I find that the magnesium doesn't help when I know I'm taking it then there won't be any need to determine if there's a placebo effect.

As for the magnesium, it's a mix of the oxide, malate, and glycerophosphate salts from Webber. The bottle claims for healthy bones and muscle function. I assume I got the right one.

Whatever the outcome I'll be sure to follow up :)

Well unfortunately I have nothing to report this week. I got food poisoning on Friday and wasn't up for the additional GI discomfort on top of the already pretty uncomfortable GI distress :( I'm feeling much better now though :D

I get those chest pains sometimes on psychedelics or other drugs, worst ones are mostly on psychedelics, but that might be just my perception due to hipersensibility. In my case I believe it's some kind of anxiety, though I'm not sure. First time it happened to me was like 5 years ago on Foxy. I got them with 2-c's, lsd, triptamines.
The more I abuse drugs the more I get them (specially stimulants), sometimes I might get it while being sober. Sometimes is a stabbing kind of feeling of short duration and sometimes might be a less serious but more lasting pain (even weeks long). I checked throroughly my heart and lungs condition and everything seem to be alright.

For me is basically my body complaining about how I treat it. Try to take care of yourself and do some thoracic deep a slow breathing, that might help. Never thought about heathburn or taking magnesium or Zantac but I might look into it.

Just thought I'd follow up and not leave this thread dangling.

I have not been able to reproduce the effects that lead me to create this thread in the first place. I have taken mushrooms several times since then and they have all been pleasant experiences with no side effects as I had previously described. I wish I could have been able to have some insight into the cause but I am also perfectly happy to not experience it anymore :p

Yeah anxiety... if it would really be a real case of angina with underlying physical issue then you would expect to recreate it with exertion - psychedelics are a little stimulating on the body, so it would be possible if you were sensitive to increased HR and BP but again you would very probably notice it sober with many other types of exertion as well.

The fact that you only got it with a psychedelic must mean that it's something particular and not the stimulation. Anxiety fits with that, it is very common to get from something like such a psychedelic, and can manifest in various ways.

I'm not sure if I had a similar experience but trying to make sense of what happened with me.

So 2 nights ago, I feel I either had a bad trip or a health concern (or both?)

I always take Psilocybin chocolate fasted, as fasting is the norm for me. I normally take it once per week in higher doses. I decided to up my ante this time and take about 7 grams of Psilocybin chocolate all at once. Mind you, I've taken 8 grams before but by taking 6 grams first and then 2 grams about 30 mins later and I had no issues.

This time however, at about mid trip maybe 3 to 4 hours into it, I began developing intense abdominal pain, which I believed was a cramp, so I put my hand where the pain was located and I could feel as if a bump was moving around in my abdomen. the pain lasted for about a minute and went away. But then I began feeling a sense of impending doom, so I got up and immediately felt really dizzy and I was literally about to pass out, I felt as if I was starting to have trouble catching my breathe and I lied down on the bed and began feeling intense chest pain/pressure that started around the heart area and shot across from shoulder to shoulder across my entire chest but that also felt like a cramp. I wasn't sure if I was having a heart attack or if it was a cramp. These horrible symptoms persisted on and off for about 20 mins until I got up and was really weak but made it to the bathroom and began throwing up quite a bit (nothing but chocolate). I started feeling better although the symptoms of wanting to faint persisted for a bit more.

Finally, I was laying down calmly and it all eventually went away. I thought I was dying from a heart attack. Now I am somewhat scared. But I find Psilocybin helps me in so many ways. So now I am finding myself battling in my mind as to whether to drop it completely or face my fear and risk taking a much lower dose next time (no more than 3-4 grams at one trip). I also would like to mention that I had not been getting proper sleep the 3 days prior to this trip, since I know there can be a lot of contributing factors. I also get migraines from time to time.

I feel like a learned a lesson that more is not always better, but I wanted to experience the best trip of my life.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned? Or was it a bad trip?

This sounds like you had a myocardial infarction. Go see a doctor ASAP.