• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

'Magic Mushroom' Drug Psilocybin May Help with Feeling Rejected

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
The hallucinogen found in "magic mushrooms" may help ease the pain of feeling rejected or left out of a group, a small new study suggests.

In the study, 21 healthy people were given a small dose of psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in certain mushroom species. They then had their brains scanned while they played an online game in which they were made to feel socially excluded.

During this game, people reported feeling less social pain when they received psilocybin, compared with when they received a placebo, or "dummy pill." In addition, participants' brain scans showed less activity in brain regions linked with feelings of social pain after they took psilocybin compared with after taking a placebo.

The new findings may help scientists better understand exactly what happens in the brain when people feel socially rejected, and potentially develop treatments to reduce these negative feelings, the researchers said. Such treatments could be important for people with certain psychiatric disorders, who often encounter social rejection, and who may react more strongly to rejection than a healthy person, which can worsen mental health, the researchers said.

"Social ties have repeatedly been shown to be crucial for physical and mental health," the researchers, from the University of Zurich in Switzerland, wrote in their findings published today (April 18) in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. "Understanding the neural and biochemical foundations of rejection experiences is important for increasing our knowledge about social and emotional processes, and is crucial for the treatment of conditions influenced by social factors," they said.

cont at
http://www.livescience.com/54451-psilocybin-social-rejection.html?google_editors_picks=true

Good link!

I am glad our society is research these medicines again as our society should be.

I believe this to be true, as when going through a hard periold of depprsion/anxiety and dealing with rejection from what I thought to be my closet friends(not on ANY drugs at the time besides weed, just them taling behind my back when I was slightly suicidal and me trying to be there for them when they were going through a hard time only to read txt that I was a selfish looser=(, which really sent me down even more. Well I took a SHItload of mushrooms that I had gotten to share with them, but since they felt that way, well fuck that. Ate them to myself, and afterwards had NO problem with what they were saying about me, my outlook on life changed(for a month and half or so anyway) and everything started getting better for me confidence wise and everything else after that trip. SOOOO glad I didn't share them with it so they coud just get the fuckin giggles.

I believe this to be true, as when going through a hard periold of depprsion/anxiety and dealing with rejection from what I thought to be my closet friends(not on ANY drugs at the time besides weed, just them taling behind my back when I was slightly suicidal and me trying to be there for them when they were going through a hard time only to read txt that I was a selfish looser=(, which really sent me down even more. Well I took a SHItload of mushrooms that I had gotten to share with them, but since they felt that way, well fuck that. Ate them to myself, and afterwards had NO problem with what they were saying about me, my outlook on life changed(for a month and half or so anyway) and everything started getting better for me confidence wise and everything else after that trip. SOOOO glad I didn't share them with it so they coud just get the fuckin giggles.

I can definitely relate in that strong psychedelic experiences definitely put your interpersonal relationships in perspective lol. Drug addiction (and relationships based on addiction) seem especially pathetic...

Drug addiction seem especially pathetic...

Do you mean that when tripping, compulsive daily drug use seems pathetic, and that has led you to take breaks from other drugs after tripping on mushrooms? I wish it worked for me like that. I've never done mushrooms, but a lot of LSD and analogs. Recently I did a couple of fairly strong ALD-52 trips, with a subconscious hope that one of the results would be what you describe, but it didn't work, unfortunately. The realization was there, but it didn't stick.

Last edited:
Yeah, what I mean is that when I'm high on, say, LSD, or psilocybin for that matter, the urge to do drugs of addiction (for me the biggest one is probably heroin) reduces down to 0. Substance abuse seems especially weird and dumb when I'm high on psychedelics for some reason, which I suppose is ironic since psychedelics are themselves drugs.

I guess the biggest irony of drug use that becomes starkly apparent while on psychedelics is that the lives of many drug addicts seem very unhappy, while "drugs" as a topic (for me) seem to indicate something you do to increase enjoyment in one's life.

If our society could get past the stigma of the War on Drugs they could realized the potential psilocybin-occasioned mystical experiences have in treating mental health. Early research in the 50-60 and modern research has indicated addiction is a condition psychedelic medicines could treat.

Current Drug Abuse Reviews said:
Curr Drug Abuse Rev. Author manuscript; available in PMC 2016 Jan 1.
Published in final edited form as:
Curr Drug Abuse Rev. 2015; 7(3): 157–164.
Psilocybin-occasioned Mystical Experiences in the Treatment of Tobacco Addiction
Albert Garcia-Romeu, PhD,1 Roland R. Griffiths, PhD,1,2 and Matthew W. Johnson, PhD1

Abstract

Psilocybin-occasioned mystical experiences have been linked to persisting effects in healthy volunteers including positive changes in behavior, attitudes, and values, and increases in the personality domain of openness. In an open-label pilot-study of psilocybin-facilitated smoking addiction treatment, 15 smokers received 2 or 3 doses of psilocybin in the context of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) for smoking cessation. Twelve of 15 participants (80%) demonstrated biologically verified smoking abstinence at 6-month follow-up. Participants who were abstinent at 6 months (n=12) were compared to participants still smoking at 6 months (n=3) on measures of subjective effects of psilocybin. Abstainers scored significantly higher on a measure of psilocybin-occasioned mystical experience. No significant differences in general intensity of drug effects were found between groups, suggesting that mystical-type subjective effects, rather than overall intensity of drug effects, were responsible for smoking cessation. Nine of 15 participants (60%) met criteria for “complete” mystical experience. Smoking cessation outcomes were significantly correlated with measures of mystical experience on session days, as well as retrospective ratings of personal meaning and spiritual significance of psilocybin sessions. These results suggest a mediating role of mystical experience in psychedelic-facilitated addiction treatment.

Keywords: Mystical experience, hallucinogen, tobacco, smoking cessation, nicotine, addiction, psilocybin, psychedelic

free full text

This will definately lead dumbed girls to start stalking you since they don't feel like being rejected. "He is just playing hard to catch!"

I read that having a trip on mushrooms would help my OCD. I am at the point of nearly never leaving my house...maybe I should try it and start a thread about it. Start it off by writing out the mental health symptoms I am experiencing. Then do a trip report of the trip, and then make daily journal entries. I would have to find someone experiencing the same symptoms as me be a control by not tripping. It is about to mushroom season in the county I live in...this may be a good experiment.

I read that having a trip on mushrooms would help my OCD. I am at the point of nearly never leaving my house...maybe I should try it and start a thread about it. Start it off by writing out the mental health symptoms I am experiencing. Then do a trip report of the trip, and then make daily journal entries. I would have to find someone experiencing the same symptoms as me be a control by not tripping. It is about to mushroom season in the county I live in...this may be a good experiment.

I'd be interested in reading and seeing how well it works if it does. Do it!

I support your research. Your experiment is different than the study mentioned above. Most modern clinical psychedelic medicine research involves professional therapist. The psychotherapy involved is potentially a valuable part.

Perhaps your self therapy could be successful too.

You should definitely try that.

Psilocybin changed my life (in a good way). My avatar is the psilocybin molecule.

stated once again. Mushrooms are the best drug on the planet. Some may have adverse effects. But overall a very safe drug. Probably as safe or safer than most over the counter medications and provide so much positive benefit to so many people. Certainly helped me with addiction and in many other ways.

They will NEVER be legal. Do you know how many people would stop taking all their psychiatric drugs, antideprssants, adderall etc. All the drugs that they have to take every day to function which the controllers of the government (big pharma) make their billions off of.

It will never happen, its like saying "we should make gasoline illegal and only use electric cars because it would be better for us"

since when has any law ever been based on what is good for people and not good for corporations that lobby congress?