• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Magic mushroom’s positive effects lasting over a year, say researchersMagic mushroom’

Squeaks

Bluelighter
Far out: Magic mushrooms could have medical benefits, researchers say

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelo...s-could-have-medical-benefits-researchers-say

Far out: Magic mushrooms could have medical benefits, researchers say
By Zachary Roth

The hallucinogen in magic mushrooms may no longer just be for hippies seeking a trippy high.

Researchers at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine have been studying the effects of psilocybin, a chemical found in some psychedelic mushrooms, that's credited with inducing transcendental states. Now, they say, they've zeroed in on the perfect dosage level to produce transformative mystical and spiritual experiences that offer long-lasting life-changing benefits, while carrying little risk of negative reactions.

The breakthrough could speed the day when doctors use psilocybin--long viewed skeptically for its association with 1960s countercultural thrill-seekers--for a range of valuable clinical functions, like easing the anxiety of terminally ill patients, treating depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, and helping smokers quit. Already, studies in which depressed cancer patients were given the drug have reported positive results. "I'm not afraid to die anymore" one participant told The Lookout.

The Johns Hopkins study--whose results will be published this week in the journal Psychopharmacology--involved giving healthy volunteers varying doses of psilocybin in a controlled and supportive setting, over four separate sessions. Looking back more than a year later, 94 percent of participants rated it as one of the top five most spiritually significant experiences of their lifetimes.

More important, 89 percent reported lasting, positive changes in their behavior--better relationships with others, for instance, or increased care for their own mental and physical well-being. Those assessments were corroborated by family members and others.

"I think my heart is more open to all interactions with other people," one volunteer reported in a questionnaire given to participants 14-months after their session.

"I feel that I relate better in my marriage," wrote another. "There is more empathy -- a greater understanding of people, and understanding their difficulties, and less judgment."

[snipped - please follow the relatively new guidelines about only posting a few paragraphs from the original article]

Last edited by a moderator:
Great that they are reporting on this in the media, and in scientific journals.
However, those of us who have some experience with mushrooms could have told you this a long time ago!

But the experience of one volunteer in Griffiths's study offers a glimpse of the potential benefits. Lauri Reamer, 47, told The Lookout that she participated in two Johns Hopkins psilocybin sessions last September, not long after ending intensive chemotherapy and radiation to treat a rare form of leukemia that, several times in the preceding few years, had almost taken her life.

Reamer, an anesthesiologist from Ruxton, Md., with three young daughters, said that although her disease was in remission by that time, she was still suffering psychologically from the trauma of the illness and the treatment. She had walled herself off emotionally, she said, and was unable to show empathy for others or even for herself.

The psilocybin had an immediate impact. "At the end of the session, I was just in this joyous, happy, relaxed state," she said. "The drug was gone--what was left was just this peaceful calm."

That calm had lasting benefits. Reamer said the experience--what she called "an epiphany"--gave her the impetus to get out of a failing marriage. Since doing so, she said, both she and her daughters have been much happier.

"I don't think it was the drug that did it," she said. "It was the drug that helped me find the clarity."

That's not the only improvement. "My sleeping has gotten better. My relationships have gotten better with people," she said. "The fog has lifted."

"The best thing it did for me was heal me psychologically and emotionally and allow me to be back in my kids' lives, be back to being a mother," Reamer concluded. As she spoke, she was taking her daughters--two 15-year old twins, and a 6-year-old--on a trip to Hershey Park.

And although doctors tell her that, thanks to the effect of the illness and the treatment, she likely has only 10 or 15 years to live, she's able to approach that challenge with equanimity.

"My fear of death kind of disappeared," she said. "I'm not afraid to die anymore."

So cool.
:D

I thought that they have been treating several different issues with psilocybin for many years now. Cluster headaches is one that I can think of off the top of my head.

I would loveeeee to have a little medical psilocybin tincture with each dose measured perfectly. I would take that shit everyday.

Scientists at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine claim to have determined the proper dose levels needed to create positive changes in attitudes, mood, life satisfaction, and behavior that persist for more than a year with the psychoactive substance in so-called "magic mushrooms."

The findings are the latest in a series of experiments done at Johns Hopkins to investigate psilocybin, a psychedelic substance contained in certain mushrooms. The findings were published online this week in the peer-reviewed journal Psychopharmacology.

“In cultures before ours, the spiritual guide or healer had to discern how much of what type of mushroom to use for what purposes, because the strength of psychoactive mushrooms varies from species to species and even from specimen to specimen," said Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., a professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences and neuroscience at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine and the study's lead scientist.

Source:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/06/...-effects-lasting-over-a-year-say-researchers/

Great news =D

This is great! now, if scientists will continue studying ecstasy and other psychadelics, maybe we wouldn't all need so much help.

Every day seems like it would be much too much.
I took fairly high doses of mushrooms once a week for several months, and it was a bit intense.

to produce transformative mystical and spiritual experiences that offer long-lasting life-changing benefits, while carrying little risk of negative reactions.

this cannot be overquoted. Haven't tripped or rolled in FAR too long, and honestly believe the lack of it has been detrimental (even as far as 'society' is concerned)

My dad drank mushroom tea in 2007 to cure cluster headaches, and he hasn't had one in over four years.

Prior to that, he was using pure medical oxygen several times a week, along with dozens of pills and other therapies to control the crushing pain of the headaches.

Some amazing stuff right there.

that doesn't quite ad up... ur saying that one consumption, 4yrs ago, has an effect on clusters today?

Work of MAPS & partners at Hopkins on life end issues (& other TR depressive issues) using Psilocybin has helped turn a corner with Psychedelic Psychotherapy. In my own experience I found it of little surprise now, that depressive disorders are helped by psilocybin. After getting off useless anti-d's it seemed so obvious w/even 2.5 grm doses (up to 4-5 grm) that symptoms that plagued me for ages after serious accidents, were "blown out of body & mind". Beckley Research & Heftner Institute have declared these projects of major importance for illnesses without decent medicines.

(The ongoing work on PTSD (& various like issues) by MAPS, now show MDMA, to be of special importance urgency & that of all PPT). Went to a great MAPS forum in Oct 2016 that was brilliant.

Re: cluster headaches: I've a complex head ache profile, & have for 6 months been keeping a record of my symptoms & there seems to be real progress. However, whether due to chronic pain issues, I tend to get headaches after psilocybin (4-5grms), starting about 2-4 hours after come down & can last for 6 hours... so I've found a tea brewing method that reduces this issue greatly for a bit higher dose sessions. (I've read it maybe due to fibres? but like anyone with another take on this....)

I love psilocybin... I've experienced profound personality changes through using mushrooms. I used to grow them for myself and had the best years of my life, Outlook and moodwise, when I incorporated psilocybin into my life.

That said, this thread is over five years old. I got all excited and then realized this is nothing new. I'm sure I read this when it was a relevant thread.