• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kenickie

Bluelight Crew
MM-Main-Poster.jpg

Years after the collapse of civilization, the tyrannical Immortan Joe enslaves apocalypse survivors inside the desert fortress the Citadel. When the warrior Imperator Furiosa (Charlize Theron) leads the despot's five wives in a daring escape, she forges an alliance with Max Rockatansky (Tom Hardy), a loner and former captive. Fortified in the massive, armored truck the War Rig, they try to outrun the ruthless warlord's henchmen in a high-speed, deadly chase through the Wasteland.

FUCKING AMAZING ALL THE STARS

The third one was so horrible that I am not counting on this being any good.

I have hopes. Third one was alright imo, though its been awhile since I watched it.

it's directed by the guy who directed the original road warrior. seeing it tonight.

alasdair

The third one was so horrible that I am not counting on this being any good.

i've never seen any of the original mad max trilogy, but people seemed to be like yay awesome the original director is doing these, or oh my god he's horrible look what he did to mad max but that didn't matter to me as i had nothing to go on.

there were so many things that astounded me, i went into it expecting a bunch of explosions and probably shirtless tom hardy. i heard about the insane MRAs who were frothing at the mouth about Charlize Theron "talking too much" which tbh made me even more eager to see it.

it's shot, beautifully. the landscapes are breathtaking, and the action is meticulously followed and well shot. pretty impressive, considering we spend 98% of the movie following the giant monster vehicle The War Rig. the world building is impressive. the dag sneers at max, he's just a filthy schlanga, she prays with strange hand motions, she's got finger tats full of symbols that are recognized and absolutely foreign. details are important and not wasted.

Charlize Theron is a fucking boss. It's the eyes man, it's the eyes.

and then of course, the MRAs were right. might as well call this movie Imperator Furiosa : Feminist Fury Road. Besides the obvious - women warriors, taking charge of their own lives, saving their own lives, menopausal women killing dudes from their tricked out motorbikes, women entering into a partnership with a man on equal footing, asking each other for help, no romantic subplot between our leads, all of that. but then the little things. mad max washing the blood off his face with breast milk, laying piles of guns down infront of a circle of five visibly pregnant and not visibly pregnant women. the dag clipping her chastity belt off - complete with teeth (sup vagina dentata!), god damn.

i'm going to go see it again tonight.

who killed the world?

tumblr_np1y1zvXCV1r21i5xo1_1280.jpg

this was the best god damn movie I've ever seen

it had everything I wanted. which has always been a drumline on the back of a war rig and a mother fucking flame throwing guitar

giphy.gif

so many bullshit Men's Rights Groups so pissed off about this movie (apparently the Director consulted with the Vagina Monologues creator, bet they weren't too happy with that)?

I just don't get the reasoning. if anything - it showed how men and women must coexist. Max was a strong character, showing up when his friends needed him the most, a very male character in all the greatest aspects. Furiosa was brilliant, the shot of her falling down after realizing her green haven or whatever was fucked was great. I think saying that the MRA groups were right gives those deluded bastards a little too much credit. sure, men did probably destroy the world. but to get the world back both men and women must work together

it was all action, all done well, and the co-lead character only said about three lines of dialogue. sign me up

can't wait to see it again. George Miller is a genius about inserting little things in his movies that make you think/wonder/anticipate for a second viewing. like the Mother's Milk Women? so much awesome in one movie - can't remember the last time I had so much fun at the movie

1ZNyZAj.jpg

so many bullshit Men's Rights Groups so pissed off about this movie (apparently the Director consulted with the Vagina Monologues creator, bet they weren't too happy with that)?

I just don't get the reasoning. if anything - it showed how men and women must coexist. Max was a strong character, showing up when his friends needed him the most, a very male character in all the greatest aspects. Furiosa was brilliant, the shot of her falling down after realizing her green haven or whatever was fucked was great. I think saying that the MRA groups were right gives those deluded bastards a little too much credit. sure, men did probably destroy the world. but to get the world back both men and women must work together

I read about this and heard on the radio movie reviewers commenting on the 'feminist' undertone to the film; i usually don't care about this.. but if it's over the top it will irritate me.

I haven't seen it so i can't comment. But aside from that, i've heard nothing but praise for the film.

it was all action, all done well, and the co-lead character only said about three lines of dialogue. sign me up

we saw different movies. in no way did i get any sort of vibe about coexisting, at all, what so ever. the plot of the movie is five sex slaves escaping a patriarchal hell hole. i mean
NSFW:
mad max leaves, doesn't he? nux is dead. it's the women returning, the women leading at the end.
the MRA groups were right - it's feminist propaganda - a "feminist bait and switch - we were lied to!" - which 100% happens when
NSFW:
It’s when they’re driving the rig into the canyon and Nux has disconnected the power to the gas tanker so it’s dragging behind the rig, and Max gets out to reconnect it. We then see a wide shot of Max walking back along the rig while Nux scales the belly of the truck to climb into the cab through the hatch. (Where OH NO, THE POOR WOMEN HAVE BEEN LEFT ALONE AND UNPROTECTED!)
Max then succeeds in filing the lock of his mask off, and is once again fully free. The way this sequence is set up is deliberately meant to make you think that when Nux pops into the cab and grabs Furiosa, Max is going to swing right in and take him out.
And then naturally the Wives and Furiosa would all swoon over his heroism.

INSTEAD the Wives get Nux off Furiosa, subdue him, tell Furiosa not to kill him because he’s just a brainwashed War Boy, bind his hands, and give him a lecture on why Immortan Joe is terrible (”THEN WHO KILLED THE WORLD?”), before throwing him, unharmed, out of the rig.

Max doesn’t even get back into the cab until they’ve already got him tied up. AND he doesn’t try to go all “Ladies, let me take it from here” on them.
This happens, over and over again.
NSFW:
Mad Max can't make the shot. But who can?

tumblr_inline_noo22tFudK1sdol21_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_noo232sWNa1sdol21_540.jpg

don't breathe.

Mad Max doesn't talk like at all (in the original he doesn't talk ever - they sent Tom Hardy to an over dubbing stage and inserted dialogue where the editors detected lip movement from his character) and everything that fanboys wanted
NSFW:
his car, his leather jacket,
are not around or are destroyed in the opening scenes.

tumblr_np2a18qElS1rzrn9bo1_500.jpg

is that just the wind? or a furious vexation?

I read about this and heard on the radio movie reviewers commenting on the 'feminist' undertone to the film; i usually don't care about this.. but if it's over the top it will irritate me.

don't go see it then. smash the patriarchy, learn to drive.

eta: can't believe this movie has the girl from gamer gate crowing about how it's not feminist at all and MRAs freaking out.

Last edited:
god forbid one movie in a thousand should have a strong female presence...

saw it last night. loved it. loved the aesthetic. loved the characters. loved the brutality. it basically finished by opening the door to the sequel so i'll look forward to that.

alasdair

Great thread! I'm actually going to see this tomorrow afternoon so I really happy to have found this discussion. Thanks to everyone who posted their insights. I'll come back tomorrow if I have anything to add. The discussion about the feminist overtones is pretty interesting to me...

Loved it. The original mad max was a typical independent shock film for its time. Muddled plot, cheap effects, but a setting and grit that people loved.

Mad max 2 was my favourite, and more closely tied to this reboot. It introduced the different types of communities the co exist in this broken land, while upping the action.

Thunder dome is what happens when LA money forces a director to sell out, but without it, important elements of Fury Road would not exist.

There will be a sequel for no other reason so max can be reunited with his V8 interceptor.

250121_900.png

Though I still prefer Road Warrior, this is a truly outstanding film. 5/5

meh, I disagree. it's your typical low-budget grindhouse type flick. the stuff they did with no money serves as an inspiration to DIY artists everywhere

The first Mad Max was, indeed, an awful film.

I feel hesitant to post the following opinion, because some people on BL (and internet forums in general) have a tendency to label anyone who doesn't promote the popular opinion as a "hater" - and I genuinely don't want to get into an argument - but I have to say that it baffles me as to how well this film has been received... I really don't understand it.

I mean, sure, it's a fun ride (I guess). But, 5/5?

It's just non-stop violence, with a high budget and good special effects.
The characters are one-dimensional. The acting is inconsistent.
I was really bored about halfway through the movie.

I'd understand if it was embraced by teenagers. But, it's actually got great reviews...

John Wick is a similar film, in the sense that it's mostly carefully choreographed violence. But, I liked Wick a bit more. Because, I liked the characters. While there was too much violence in Wick (and I found myself bored at times), there was (relative to Fury Road) a good balance of humor and violence.

I flat out don't understand how anybody could like any of the characters in Fury Road, except for Nux (who was the only good character, IMO).

I guess maybe it's the cars? Or the weird apocalyptic world?
But, The Road Warrior created a better world (IMO).
There was a lot of generic shit in Fury Road.

The female characters acted like they were straight out of (the shitty parts of) Sin City.
The pale bald freak children with black around their eyes were especially uninspired.

It wouldn't have taken much effort to establish the characters a bit more, or insert something - anything - other than violence.
I don't mean any offense, it just baffles me as to how 2+ hours of violence appeals to adults (let alone critics).

If this is a great film, worthy of 5 star reviews, then the future of cinema is grim.

I'm not saying I'm right and the rest of the world is wrong.
Clearly, it has a lot of mainstream appeal.
I just don't get it. That's all.

I'd appreciate it if someone could try and explain it to me, not because I want to have an argument... but, because it bothers me.
It makes me feel alone, for lack of a better word, to be so far detached from the majority opinion.
Some of my family and friends agree with me, fortunately, so I'm not too concerned about it.
I just want to understand.

I've read about a dozen 5 star critic reviews and about a dozen 5 star user reviews, and I still don't understand how anybody could possibly give this film 5 stars... I suspect that I never will understand it.

If you're going to label me a "hater" for expressing an opinion that isn't popular, please don't bother.
But, if you'd like to have a discussion about why this is a great film and what makes a great film, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
-4EA

i'm not sure you really care if you get it or not, and taste is subjective (you're head over heels about a movie i barely finished and remains to this day the worst movie i've ever wasted time on) so i don't think it really matters.

i'll take this, and the way horror is moving, as a great sign for the future of cinema. if anything horror is the true barometer not big action flicks, though this one was great.

i'm an avid comic book reader, and i know that has altered what i like in films and what i look for. a movie can be hung on a single frame (panel) for me. i'm pretty sure that this film was hung on the shot of max with the guns against the splendid's neck, smooth skin interrupted by white scars and dirty black guns. fuck that shit fucked me up. i'm looking for smaller, more obsessive, things in films that tell a larger story. this has them all in spades. the symbolism and feminist dog whistles are so strong, so present, that i left the film basically shellshocked. i couldn't believe what i had witnessed (;)), especially in terms of what i had seen before. even the way characters are framed by the camera is radical and sexless. (tits & ass & the golden ratio don't happen here, even when you've literally got five models in no dress). action and horror have the best potential but usually fall so fucking short. horror with heart, you know? action with a purpose. rare to find those, and mad max definitely has a purpose. it's ominous and frightening, really fucking frightening, when you add up all the little things in it. what have we done to each other?

i can't even pick a favorite character. probably the valkyrie - or maybe the dag queen. cheedo the fragile undergoes the biggest change, apart from nux and max.