• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Macklemore's Song "Drug Dealer" Demonstrates Damaging Ignorance

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Macklemore's Song "Drug Dealer" Demonstrates His Damaging Ignorance About Drugs and Race

Carl Hart & Kristen Gwynne | 11/1/16 said:
Macklemore’s new song “Drug Dealer” is gaining a lot of media coverage and social media traction for its “powerful” and “emotionally raw and real” message about Big Pharma’s role in the increase of opioid-related deaths in the United States.

The song reiterates two popular, troubling narratives about the so-called opioid epidemic: Big Pharma and crooked doctors get people hooked just to pad their pockets, and heroin has made its way to the white suburbs, eliciting an unprecedented concern for white heroin users who were previously uninterested in the drug.

Macklemore’s credentials, as a white rapper who was formerly addicted to opioids, appear to cement his credibility—at least in the eyes of the media, still swooning over his statesmanship after he teamed up with President Obama to discuss this subject—as an expert on opioids.

The notion that he is any such thing is absurd. It’s like saying that Donald Trump, as a result of the many sexual assault allegations against him, is qualified to provide educational programming for preventing sexual assault. Are you kidding me?

But don’t take our word for it. Just listen to—but don’t purchase—the song “Drug Dealer.” It unequivocally demonstrates Macklemore’s cluelessness on the subject matter. Not only is the song corny in general terms, but it also sounds embarrassingly like a Reagan-era “just say no” PSA.

In it, Macklemore attempts to render drug users as victims without any autonomy, while characterizing the physicians (the “dealers”) as unscrupulous predators:

“My drug dealer is a docta, docta / Had the plug from Big Pharma, Pharma / He said that he would heal me, heal me
….
I think he trying to kill me, kill me / He tried to kill me for a dollar, dollar”
Really, Macklemore? Your physician is trying to kill you? How about you kill the hyperbole?

Setting aside the unlikelihood of this murderous intent to violate the Hippocratic Oath, let’s consider the reality of opioid-related deaths.

While it is possible to die from an overdose of an opioid alone, this is rare. Only about a quarter of the thousands of opioid-related deaths each year occur as a result of a single drug. Combining an opioid with another sedative, such as alcohol or a benzodiazepine, causes many more of these deaths.

So if rappers wish to help people avoid opioid-related deaths, their message should be clear and simple: Don’t combine opioids with other sedatives!

Yes, it’s true that some physicians engage in unethical practices, such as overprescribing opioids and other medications. But to be clear, this group represents a small minority, and medical boards and committees work diligently to weed them out. Further, the majority of people who use opioids chaotically or addictively do not obtain them from their doctor; the largest group obtain them instead from relatives or friends.

The misinformation and exaggerations expressed in Macklemore’s song do not address real concerns. They may, however, have a real-world effect by decreasing the willingness of physicians to prescribe opioid medications, thereby making it more difficult for patients to obtain opioids when medically indicated. The agony of people whose pain is under-medicated is an under-told part of this story.

What’s more, this suffering is not evenly distributed: It has been well documented that physicians are much less likely to prescribe opioids to black people than to whites—one area in which unethical conduct by doctors is widespread.

Suffering and inequality will certainly be exacerbated if otherwise-reasonable people start taking seriously the myths peddled by Macklemore’s song.

But what’s even worse is that Macklemore attempts to express concerns about the plight of sisters and brothers (plus a couple of honorary members in Amy Winehouse and Heath Ledger) as it relates to the dangers of drugs. At the same time, he lectures America for only being concerned when drug problems reach the white ‘burbs:

That’s Prince, Michael and Whitney / That’s Amy, Ledger and Pimp C / That’s Yams, that’s DJ A.M / God damn they’re making a killing /

Now it’s getting attention cause Sara, Katey and Billy / But this shit’s been going one from Seattle out to South Philly / It just moved out about the city / And spread out to the ‘burbs Now it’s everybody’s problem, got a nation on the verge /

Take Activis off the market / Jack the price up on the syrup / But Purdue Pharma’s ’bout to move that work.
The vast majority of the people named in the song died from drug combinations. In other words, they died from ignorance.

Macklemore’s over-simplistic and inaccurate characterization of the opioid situation reinforces the misguided victim-predator rhetoric of the War on Drugs era. Over the past three decades, this rhetoric has functioned to further subjugate the very people he claims to want to liberate: black people and his black friends.

“Drug Dealer” does not remotely approach the real conversation about race and drugs that the US so badly needs. But it does provide a blueprint for racists to show their support for punitive drug policies, policies that disproportionately lock up black and brown bodies, without appearing to be explicitly racist.

Sure, no one will shed a tear when Big Pharma and those rich doctors are painted as the villains. But if you encourage the scapegoating of one “dealer,” it follows that it’s ok to scapegoat another—and that’s a toxic message in a country that needs little encouragement to do so in the most vicious ways.

You can see this happening, for example, in Maine, where Governor Paul LePage said of dealers:

“The traffickers, this aren’t people who take drugs, these are guys with the name D-Money, Smoothie, Shifty. These type of guys that come from Connecticut and New York. They sell their heroin, then they go back home. Incidentally, half the time they impregnate a young white girl before they leave.”
LePage later said:

made that comment that black people are trafficking in our state. Now ever since I said that comment, I’ve been collecting every single drug dealer who has been arrested in our state. I don’t ask them to come to Maine and sell their poison, but they come, and I will tell you that 90-plus percent of those pictures in my book—and it’s a three-ringed binder—are black and Hispanic people from Waterbury, Connecticut, the Bronx and Brooklyn.”
With friends like Macklemore and Governor LePage, black people don’t need enemies.

Macklemore’s ignorance is further highlighted by the fact that he perpetuates the debunked “gateway theory” of drug use and lambasts one of the few effective addiction treatments:

They said it wasn’t a gateway drug / My homie was takin’ subs and he ain’t wake up
The gateway theory, in essence, states that drug use progresses from “softer” to “harder” drugs in an orderly fashion. For example, marijuana use will eventually lead to heroin use. The problem is that the overwhelming majority of users of marijuana never progress to heroin use—or any other illicit drug use.

And Suboxone (“subs”) is arguably the most effective treatment for opioid addiction—more effective at reducing mortality than other treatments. Would Macklemore have the thousands of people being treated with Suboxone discontinue their medication?

If Macklemore really cared about his fans, people with addiction issues or his black friends, he’d accept that drug use is a reality and try educating himself before he wrote an unsolicited anthem for drug users.

Macklemore, who after all, is ignorant rather than malicious, has a history of using music (or trying to) for the greater good. It’s time he put in a bit more effort.
http://theinfluence.org/macklemores...-his-damaging-ignorance-about-drugs-and-race/

Yeah Mackelmores sustained attack on doctors is lame. The guy wasn't a chronic pain patient. He got addicted because he liked getting high. To turn around and blame doctors and big pharma is just too easy. They only gave society exactly what it demanded. There are also millions of people who need pain pills who cant get them now because of the pushback against opiod medication. But what do you expect from a brainwashed NA guy like Mackelmore.

Right cj, he knew exactly what was going down when he went for those scripts. But Big pharma new he was going to do this so they shoulder a great weight as well?

In another ten years there will be no more legal pain treatment.

everyone in pain will be doing heroin. soccer moms and dads that go to church will be shooting mexican heroin. old grannies. cancer patients. The heroin market is going to explode when opioids are made fully illegal.

They will have to build so many more jails to house all these chronic pain patients.

someone pleas bash macklemores spine in with a lead pipe so that he will have to go back to the doctors asking for pills so he can shut his stupid haircut mouth

Lucid- I doubt we have ten years left of legal pain treatment.
And I agree with your lead pipe solution/to help Macklemore's evolution.
*drops mic*

They only gave society exactly what it demanded.

Exactly.

I'd rather live with the consequences of a society awash in opioid addicts than live with the consequences of a society in which people w/ chronic pain are deprived of medicine. Granted I don't think that this guy is trying to make people be deprived of painkillers...but, intentional or not, he IS contributing to an atmosphere of hostility towards these valuable medications, simple because a small minority of the using population seemingly has no self-control.

Exactly.

I'd rather live with the consequences of a society awash in opioid addicts than live with the consequences of a society in which people w/ chronic pain are deprived of medicine. Granted I don't think that this guy is trying to make people be deprived of painkillers...but, intentional or not, he IS contributing to an atmosphere of hostility towards these valuable medications, simple because a small minority of the using population seemingly has no self-control.

Yep I also know he is heavily involved in the 12 step program.

He is a free agent and any decisions he makes are of his own choosing

Really? They just have no "self control"? As opposed to, you know, trying to medicate intense physical or psychological suffering and as a result developing a biochemical dependency on opiates?

But yeah, the song, while catchy, kind of misses the point.

Really? They just have no "self control"? As opposed to, you know, trying to medicate intense physical or psychological suffering and as a result developing a biochemical dependency on opiates?

Merely having a dependency on opiates doesn't indicate an addiction.

The vast majority of opiate users in the United States are not addicts. But one wouldn't know this if you were to simply go by media reports on this topic. In addition the large majority of opiate addicts in the USA start with recreational usage, not from legitimate pain management prescriptions.

And yes, a big problem for many opiate addicts is the fact that they have no self control. I'm not necessarily saying that's their fault though.

But addiction leads to dependency, which leads to further addiction, which etc etc.

In addition the large majority of opiate addicts in the USA start with recreational usage, not from legitimate pain management prescriptions.

Sure. But on the flip side, most of these recreational users don't go on to become addicts. So what's the determining factor? I'm not an expert, but given that every addict I've known has suffered from some kind of history of trauma, psychological disorder or serious psycho-social dysfunction, I'd say it's pretty damn likely that they're trying to self medicate psychological pain. I don't see how the desire (need?) to medicate psychological pain is somehow less moral or valid than the desire to medicate physical pain.

And yes, a big problem for many opiate addicts is the fact that they have no self control. I'm not necessarily saying that's their fault though.

Well it's kind of implied, isn't it? Saying "addicts lack self control" is like saying "amputees lack a limb."

But addiction leads to dependency, which leads to further addiction, which etc etc.

Sure. But on the flip side, most of these recreational users don't go on to become addicts. So what's the determining factor? I'm not an expert, but given that every addict I've known has suffered from some kind of history of trauma, psychological disorder or serious psycho-social dysfunction, I'd say it's pretty damn likely that they're trying to self medicate psychological pain. I don't see how the desire (need?) to medicate psychological pain is somehow less moral or valid than the desire to medicate physical pain.

Well it's kind of implied, isn't it? Saying "addicts lack self control" is like saying "amputees lack a limb."

Your right about addicts medicating some kind of underlying issue. Which means cracking down on opiates is pissing in the wind as they will just find a new drug to abuse. Crystal Meth kills existential pain just as well as heroin does. The issue of addiction will not be legislated away.

I have used opiates to self medicate psychological pain with good effect. That being said they are an incredibly risky drug to use for such a purpose, I believe using them to treat psych pain has a greater chance of getting the person addicted to them than using for physical pain. That's the problem I see with using them in that way

I have used opiates to self medicate psychological pain with good effect. That being said they are an incredibly risky drug to use for such a purpose, I believe using them to treat psych pain has a greater chance of getting the person addicted to them than using for physical pain. That's the problem I see with using them in that way

Absolutely not saying using them on that way is safe just that people are going to do it anyway. Humans have been using drugs to cure phychological pain for a long ass time and it's not gonna stop anytime soon.

Very true! And dependency DOES NOT necessarily lead to substance use disorder. In fact, it far more often does not than it does. Tolerance and dependency may lead to more severe substance use disorders, but not necessarily by any means. It's only a vicious cycle when there is a lot of shaming and stigma involved (which sadly runs rampant in our culture and society). Thank you FBI and Mr. H. Hoover, you mother fucking lowly piece(s) of shit...

Couldn't be more incorrect. If anything, those with issues managing their opioid use indicates the lack of other options they have. It has little to do with self control. Boiling down problematic patterns of substance use to issues of self control is little more than going back to the ideology and moralizing of substance users that become common around their criminalization. (though I do think Crankinit and I are basically on the same page, and Burnt Offerings and I as well).

Self control is always relative - no one possesses total self control. No one is entirely self made. Those are delusions we have because they make us feel better about our small place in the universal when presented with the stark reality that much, if not most, things in life are ultimately beyond our control. We're all a product of causes and conditions - both others create for us, in our families and society, and by those we create for ourselves (narrowness of mind, for instance).

Just because someone control to struggle their substance use, it doesn't mean they don't have any self control. If they truly lacked any meaningful self control, no one would ever get sober. We be slaves to our drugs of choice just like drug war propaganda would like you to believe.

If you want to learn more about the issue of self control and agency, see this amazing paper, Post-humanism, addiction and the loss of self-control: Reflections on the missing core in addiction science: http://www.ijdp.org/article/S0955-3959(13)00010-8/pdf

One of my first oxycontin suppliers was a fat homo hairstylist who sold his bfs Rx extras for money to buy club drugs. He eventually developed some kind of nerve thing in his hands and ended up with an rx himself. Soon I couldn't even get pills from him anymore bc he was taking all his and his boys...Sure enough he ended up on dope bc Drs started cutting back his huge dose and he claimed it let him work...And if you are making a living where you need your hands (duh) you will do just about anything to be able to work.

The Drs jacked him up then cut him off. He was rxd 3 80s and 15mg IRS a day. You'd have to have a Dr born before 1950 to get a regimen like that these days...

What's really going to be be bad is when the fent wave really crashes on us. And not analogs like acetyl or butyr which are weaker than actual fent, but shit like 3methfent, carfentanil (which is already getting heavy coverage)