Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

M. Night Shyamalan Movies

I hate the dramatic pauses he puts in the dialogue of very movie he makes. It shows that he honestly thinks what he writes is the most important and mind-blowing thing in the world.

I'm a fan. Well, I guess I should say I was. It's been hard watching the steady descent from The Sixth Sense, which was excellent, to the abyss of the latest nonsense. Well, I guess I shouldn't say that, since I haven't watched anything since I turned The Happening off after an hour, and his movies keep getting worse, so maybe this isn't actually the abyss.

He lost me after The Village. I actually liked that, and am a huge fan of everything before that. After that, bleh. I keep this flicker of hope alive that he'll do something worthwhile again, mainly because I'm a glutton for punishment.

I hate the fact that no one speaks up, ever.

oh god i fricken HATE that. stupid artificial tension generated by characters whispering like they're talking in a movie theatre is every bloody scene!

I think the problem is he set the bar too high with The Sixth Sense. So people went into his subsequent films expecting these sort of high brow thrillers with clever plot structures, and while he tried to deliver that, none of his other films really delivered on the same level.

I think if the Sixth Sense had just been a modest success then Shyamalan would be known as a maker of eccentric niche films and people would appreciate his other work more. I mean, I've seen some of his other movies and while they weren't great they weren't Michael Bay bad.

I think the problem is he set the bar too high with The Sixth Sense. So people went into his subsequent films expecting these sort of high brow thrillers with clever plot structures, and while he tried to deliver that, none of his other films really delivered on the same level.

Agreed

Thought the Sixth Sense was great. That was one movie that always creeped me out, which majority of movies don't, so I already appreciated it in that regard. Plus, that super twist.

I did also like Signs quite a bit. It was pretty suspenseful at points and the aliens were creepy. Thought Joaquim Phoenix's character was pretty funny too.

I thought The Village was disappointing. I feel like the basic premise and ending could have been the same, but with a better story and better movie.

no, he is michael bay bad. the 6th sense worked for that first screening because you didn't know what to expect, now it's actually boring and predictable.

this guy is pure shite.

^ lol.

i, too, am an expert at predicting what's going to happen in a movie i've already seen.

:)

alasdair

I never understood the praise for the 6th Sense... I think it's a decent movie... that's about it... Everything else I can't stand.

no, he is michael bay bad. the 6th sense worked for that first screening because you didn't know what to expect, now it's actually boring and predictable.

this guy is pure shite.

what?! that's preposterous to say that he is micheal bay bad

sixth sense was completely predictable.

Riiiight. I'm sure you stood up half-way through the movie and shouted, "Hey! Die Hard's already dead. It's so obvious!"

what?! that's preposterous to say that he is micheal bay bad

You're right. It's unfair that M. Night would be compared to Michael Bay. Bay's movies are at least a little entertaining, at points.

^ lol. yep, i have heard many, many people tell me it was so predictable. after the movie finished, of course.

alasdair

I don't enjoy a movie solely for an unbelievable "twist." I thought the Sixth Sense was a well-made, creepy, horror movie

He's a victim of his own early success. The Sixth Sense was a great film, but he made a mistake in trying to replicate the twist ending in every subsequent film.

I watched Signs yesterday, and it's really not that good. Sure it's got some decent suspense, but a lot of the good parts were nicked from every other alien invasion film ever made. Chasing an alien through a cornfield? Come on, that's just ET splashed with Field of Dreams! Then all of the main characters talk in strained monotone because I guess emotionally repressed creepy robot talkers are supposed to be interesting. He obviously pushes his actors for subdued, toneless performances that will bore the shit out of anyone with a pulse. It worked for Sixth Sense because, like, everyone was dead and shit but when the characters are SUPPOSED to be alive, they should act like it!

Then there's the matter of him just being a bad screenwriter. My favorite part of Signs - Mel Gibson's character goes to his neighbor's house, where his neighbor has just battled with and imprisoned an alien in his pantry. Now you would think that in such a situation, the neighbor would say "Yo man I just fucking trapped a murderous alien in my pantry after it stabbed me in the side with a claw hook!" What actually happens in the movie? The neighbor (played by M. Night) apologizes in an emotionless monotone for accidentally killing Mel Gibson's wife. What the fuck... ?

I've seen it. M. Night was only a producer. He didn't write or direct it. He came up with the story though. It was a decent thriller that was creepy in parts. And yes, it did have a twist ending I guess. My main complaint about the movie was that the characters were so damn unlikeable! I wanted all of them to die within the first 5 minutes they stepped into the elevator.

I don't know why directors still don't get it. The only way you can effectively scare your audience is if the audience cares about the characters on the screen. It's so simple and they fuck it up almost every time by making the characters obnoxious and mean-spirited.

I do suspect that M. Night stuck his dirty little finger in the script once or twice. There was a scene with one of the employees of the building in which the film takes place. He was the stereo-typical superstitious, crucifix-kissing spanish character. He claimed that when the devil was present, everything went wrong. His demonstration of this was dropping a piece of toast on the floor. When it landed jelly side down, he was like, "See?! It landed jelly side down! I told you!" I thought, what the fuck? That happens to me EVERY time I drop toast with jelly on it. This guy and some of the shit he said had M. Night written all over him.

If Devil had been an M. Night movie, I would have said that he is improving. Well, I take that back. If Devil had been an M. Night movie, I would have never known he had improved, because I would never have seen it. But, it's worth a rent when it comes to video.

*I did get a big laugh, but it didn't come from the movie itself. One of the characters is shown on the floor with their head turned completely around and their neck was twisted in a knot. Right after they showed that, someone in the theater yelled, "What a twist!", complete with accent.

I laughed my ass off.