View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides and Loops

Starless

Bluelighter
My experiences with higher doses of lysergamides (200µg+) have been very enlightening of the mind's semantic processing. As I see it, all things are defined by their relationship to all other things, meaning that until you know everything about everything, you won't know everything about anything. This also means that single pieces of information isolated in a closed system are meaningless.

In a trip, this first manifests as not being able to think or perceive something without it's opposite coming to mind, a sort of counterbalancing effect. The counterbalancing combined with the increased overlapping of memory that pupnik mentioned recently in the ALD-52 thread can create what I call a cognitive interference pattern, which is how thought loops are created. I call this type of loop a simple loop (↑o↓).

As this effect gets stronger and ideasthesia kicks in, not only will your thoughts and perceptions feed into themselves, they will also start feeding into each other, which can be very disconcerting to say the least. I call this type of loop a complex loop, which can vary in shape based on how many pieces of data are feeding into the loop. In this case there are two pieces (thought and perception), so the loop looks something like this: (↑↓).

At higher levels (~300µg+), pieces of data are not just compared to their opposites, but also things that are abstractly related to themselves and their opposites in your mind. At this point the loop begins to look like an endless knot of varying complexity. A loop in which the idea and it's opposite are each related to one other idea would look like this: (↑⌘↓).

I've never experienced total ego death, but I imagine it to be the result of memories overlapping completely and every idea in the conscious mind being incorporated into the loop. One cannot think normally in this state because they are thinking every possible thought they could have at once in superposition. This quantized mindstate changes over time not by conscious acts of will, but by new pieces of data floating up from the subconscious mind due to lowered latent inhibition (http://tinyurl.com/k86etp2). These pieces of data are then incorporated into the system, changing it's overall structure. The nature of this mindstate can vary greatly based on the substance being used. In the case of lysergamides and certain other psychedelics, it can develop into something like this: http://tinyurl.com/h9bcu9v.

I'm interested in whether or not all of this is consistent with everyone else's experiences, although it can be hard to tell when we're dealing with such abstract and subjective ideas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S.: This typeface system is infuriating. How do I change a block of text back into the default font and size? I can't seem to figure this out.

Last edited:
the psychonautwiki article reaches into several areas of interest but may try to formalize too much what is a more general phenomenon, and in doing so, it provides fake information.

for instance the image reference is similar to modern phrenology
https://psychonautwiki.global.ssl.fastly.net/w/images/9/9c/Semantic-space-brain.jpg

MRI brain scans these days are very primitive tools for viewing mental contents or Engram activity.

Consider the phenomenon in this very simple perspective:

Over the period of one second, (during which time you can count "one thousand" easily), you can sense several discrete physical sensations, while also watching a bird flap it's wings a few times, and possibly also hear several musical notes.
During a subsequent second several other "experience scale events can occur".

The important issue is that a few discrete ideas or mind forms can actually take place in under a second.

The time frame that is resolved using MRI, however is much longer than a second - It is normally accrued over several minutes. This means that all the quickly relevant detail is lost in an MRI with respect to what is being experienced. In MRI there is no record made of any part of a sensation arising and passing away, and there is no chance of seeing what we are interested in.

On the other hand, electroencephalography does have the potential to collect the data of mental activity in procession at the time based resolution of fractions of a second which we need.

Electroencephalography, however, while encompassing a good time base for a meaningful study of mental contents arising and passing in different states of mind (i.e. normal and stoned on acid to greater or lesser degrees) lacks the spatial granularity that we would need to follow the actual electrical activity field effects of mind forms in real time. (MRI has way better 3-d resolution than EEG - EEG would need to have thousands of electrodes to begin to resolve something of value for this study).

So we are not - in this year 2017 - going to see any great experimental support for a meaningful scientific study that will prove or disprove theories of what happens in the brain during the stream of consciousness.

That said, I want to go back to the time base of mental activity which anyone can resolve if they pay attention:
The shortest events that I have been able to reliably observe occur at a rate of 1/15th of a second.
The Motion Picture Industry is founded on the principle that Frames that are viewed at faster than 24 per second will blend seamlessly and produce an illusion of true movement.
Certainly slower event transitions can seem smooth enough in animation, but we may notice the time texture of it when the interval is lower than 20 fps. In any case, my personal ability is stressed when I try to see or hear events that are shorter than 1/15th of a second.

I do not intend to resolve this here, but I will say that several mental events happen each second, and they are massively rich (i.e. not just tiny points of light but full scenarios encompassing all of our senses) The character of these events in the brain are as nerve pulses, or pulse trains that arise and fade within a fraction of a second. Although they are chemically mitigated, the character of these pulses are electrical field effects that can be detected by EEG. They spike and trail quickly (i.e within 1/15th of a second more or less)

What I have observed over thousands of experiments with psychedelics, is that the trail extends with the dose, and what would be 1/15th of a second will go for much longer when really stoned, such that a super high will allow nerve pulses to last up to 3 seconds which means that the rich sensorium could have up to 45 separate frames of experience overlaid over top of each other before the oldest one fades.

Normally as we are sensing the world we are also reviving memories that synch up with some of the same neurons firing, in which the memory content is very similar, or something happened together with something else that is very similar to this, or it happend in sequence with something like this.

Experiences of memory (recollections) take place in exactly the same place (involving the same neurons) as sensations, and these are part of the richness of each moment.

As for looping, the scenario in which sensations or memories persist for more than a second is one that will easily support (15 times) additional feedback and looping, but these are reactions to the "flow" and not intrinsic to it. We can have feed back and loops without any extended fading of sensations. All it takes is perception, or noticing.

P.S.: This typeface system is infuriating. How do I change a block of text back into the default font and size? I can't seem to figure this out.

highlight the text that you want to change and then change it in the font tab

highlight the text that you want to change and then change it in the font tab

I know how to do that, but you'll notice that before you do this, when you're just using the default font and size, that only 'font' and 'size' appear in those fields, which are not selectable options if you switch and then try to switch back.

On top of this, when I was typing the previous sentence my space bar wouldn't work, but only when my cursor was at the end of a line of text, so I had to type a word with the first letter of the next word on the end of it, then move my cursor behind that letter to use the space bar, and then move my cursor back to complete the word. Then I hit enter to start this paragraph and the problem goes away. Wtf?

I have had problems with the space bar not working when replying to quoted text. I found that it was necessary to start typing several lines down the page to get it to work. Very annoying.

can you reboot, or try a different computer? My wife has trouble with the spacebar, but I think she splashed ihers with yogurt. yogurt is not good for spacebars.

Hard stuff to contain. I swear it just gets up and spills itself sometimes.. honest.

Last edited:
Just go to [edit] in your post if you are not already editing/writing your post that has the quote, and remove all bracketed html code like FONT or SIZE. I wouldn't try to apply 'standard font' to it somehow, it just becomes standard if all such code is removed from the quoted bit.

I don't know what's going on with your spacebar, but if you are talking virtual spacebar when using mobile - then I can tell you that mobile use of the forum seems to be bugged, as it can respond inappropriately to commands causing you to lose the post you were writing.