Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamide synths - quinoline vs ergoline

DrumTripper

Bluelighter
*THIS IS NOT A SYNTH QUESTION OF TECHNIQUE.*

I notice that these two variants are being sold by two different reputable rc vendors. These go for ETH-LAD, 1P-LSD, 1A-LSD, etc.

1. Do both these synth variants exist for regular LSD-25?
2. Even if the end result is the same (to known measurables) what, if any, differences could occur in one synth product vs the other?

I am betting most street LSD is done with the ergoline, but I have no clue.

Thanks to the knowledgeable ones out there!

I notice that these two variants are being sold by two different reputable rc vendors. These go for ETH-LAD, 1P-LSD, 1A-LSD, etc.

2. Even if the end result is the same (to known measurables) what, if any, differences could occur in one synth product vs the other?

I am betting most street LSD is done with the ergoline, but I have no clue.

Thanks to the knowledgeable ones out there!
ergoline is just a catch all compound class for ergot akaloids. LSD is made via starting with ergotamine tartate and all the LSD derivates like eth-lad and 1p-lsd etc Require LSD first to make these. Quinoline is never used. Most ergot tartate for illegal means comes out of the countrys with lax laws in eastern europe or chemical post grads extracting it from mirgaine pills

Last edited:

You cannot make LSD from quinoline.

You are confusing "nomenclature" and "synthesis pathway".

The "scientifically correct" name for LSD-25 (according to the IUPAC nomenclature) is
(6aR,9R)-N,N-diethyl-7-methyl-4,6,6a,7,8,9-hexahydroindolo[4,3-fg]quinoline-9-carboxamide

In many cases, the IUPAC name is both extremely cumbersome and does not immediately bring to mind the substances it is structurally related to, so it is common to use shorter names based on the common "backbone" of a class of substances, like "phenylethylamine", or, in the case of LSD-25, "ergoline":
9,10-Didehydro-N,N-diethyl-6-methylergoline-8β-carboxamide
Yeah, still kind of cumbersome, but significantly less so than the above.

This tells you nothing about the actual synthesis though. Just because the name "amphetamine" comes from "alpha-methyl-phenylethylamine", that does not mean it is made by using phenylethylamine as a precursor and methylating it in the alpha position. In fact, that reaction wouldn't even work at all.
Likewise, MDMA cannot be made via the "methylenedioxylation" of methamphetamine.
Still, the name is obviously useful, because for someone with modest chemical knowledge, it immediately brings to mind an image of the structure, which generally isn't the case with all but the simplest compounds under IUPAC nomenclature.

Last edited: