• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Lyrica wonderous for physical heroin withdrawal

junky

Greenlighter
Taking 600 mg Pregabalin daily and injecting heroin IV several times a day for at least six days.

Having heard from addicts about how Lyrica or related drugs lessen symptoms of opiate withdrawal and after doing research on the topic I had come to conclude that I could IV heroin without fear of getting stuck in a severe physical dependency. I was right.

Experienced IV addicts have said the physical withdrawals would be absolutely terrible after a weeks stretch of daily heroin shots. They were wrong.

I felt absolutely depressed and extremely tired when I quit using but I did not experience the flu-like symptoms junkie sickness had previously brought on me. In fact, I haven't experienced the flu for well over a month after perviously having quit the drug for days.

I think I'm now immune to physical withdrawals from heroin, likely an effect brought on by repeated use of heroin together with high doses of Lyrica, but that's beside the point.

Subjectively convinced Pregabalin is a miracle drug for severe opiate withdrawals

Input?

It's possible that lyrica like dmx has an effect on preventing elasticisicity in receptors (tolerance), however, I don't ever recall reading that.

(DXM like effect. I highly doubt it has an effect similar to listening to rap group dmx!, edited and left for humor)

It's gabageneric which should help alieviate or remove some symptoms, but I don't think it will prevent tolerance. At least in this case I believe you simply didn't develop a tolerance this time.

Last edited:
Do you have an actual question or is this just sharing your experience? If that is the case this is more suited for the blog function available on your profile or possibly trip reports.

This forum is for harm reduction.

According to one study: "when gabapentin was administered in developing mice, it bound to alpha2delta-1, preventing thrombospondin from binding to the receptor and, in turn, impeding synapse formation. Likewise, by blocking thrombosponin, gabapentin may reduce excess synapse formation in vulnerable areas of the human brain."

Could have something to do with it. I'm not a neuroscientist, though.

Edit: I am wrong, I had first said it was from an anti cancer article on the effects of thrombospondin and cancer cells. I don't see a direct link with opiod receptors, but certainly with the pain of withdrawal. Interesting article I'll finish reading later, post anything that comes up.

http://med.stanford.edu/ism/2009/october/gabapentin.html
I'll try to pull it up. Also gabapentin and pregablyin (lyrica) are pretty much the same, really only made to get patents on the brand name lyrica since gabapentin (neurontin) is generic now

Do you have an actual question or is this just sharing your experience? If that is the case this is more suited for the blog function available on your profile or possibly trip reports.

This forum is for harm reduction.

The question I had in mind is any input others may have in regards of using Pregabalin or Gabapentin to reduce dangerous physical withdrawals.

I could be wrong, but I believe the article you referenced is in regards to anti carcinogenic effects of lyrica. There is some research that shows that lyrica can help in fighting cancer.

Heh, I think the opposite has been reported so far. From what I read Lyrica caused teratogenic effects on male mice and that caused congenital abnormalities. But also, Lyrica was found to cause a severe form of cancer in animals.

edit: I may be wrong in all I wrote above. It was from memory, a document I read a long time ago on the chemical.

Last edited by a moderator:
The question I had in mind is any input others may have in regards of using Pregabalin or Gabapentin to reduce dangerous physical withdrawals.

I don't think there's any real danger from the withdrawals. Lyrica has been shown to reduce seizures, and help in benzo withdrawals, but it's more a painful(opiates) than dangerous(benzo) withdrawal. And it's shown that it can help with blocking pain.

If you look over at the ADD (advanved drug discussion) there are some really smart people who could probably help much more than me:) but I'll have the convo with you

Junky,

Please edit your posts instead of double posting.

When you get a moment it may help you to take a look at the BLUA and OD Guidelines in my signature.

While I've not been addicted to opiates, I've been addicted to benzos for 7 years. I've tried to quit twice, once with the help of Lyrica. Lyrica completely removed all WD symptoms for a couple of weeks but then the inevitable happens; your tolerance to Lyrica starts skyrokecting and soon it's not working anymore and you have two addictions. I got addicted to Lyrica this way. Fortunately quitting Lyrica (600 mg daily) was a relatively painless process with gradual tapering for 2 months.

Last edited:
Lyrica completely removed all WD symptoms for a couple of weeks but then the inevitable happens; your tolerance to Lyrica starts skyrokecting and soon it's not working anymore and you have two addictions.

I'm glad others have found similar properties in Lyrica.

As to your tolerance to Lyrica, and to my own; I can say I've been using Lyrica for a lot longer than I have been using opiates and my tolerance to Lyrica is as high as it can get. What I discovered in Lyrica was that it removed physical withdrawals to opiates even after tolerance was maximized.

Lyrica is the bee's knees for opiate WD. I've used it with success many times. I will say however that it's more effective the lower the amount of opiate you are coming off of. I can say from experience that coming down from ~100mg of Oxy/day, it almost completely takes away the symptoms. From ~200mg, it merely lessons them, albeit to a pretty great extent.

Lyrica is the bee's knees for opiate WD. I've used it with success many times. I will say however that it's more effective the lower the amount of opiate you are coming off of. I can say from experience that coming down from ~100mg of Oxy/day, it almost completely takes away the symptoms. From ~200mg, it merely lessons them, albeit to a pretty great extent.

How did you find out Lyrica was effective in treating opiate withdrawal symptons, if I may ask.

Damn, I meant quitting Lyrica was a relatively painless experience, not relatively painful.

i have noticed that gabapentin (Neurontin), which for all practical purposes is a much weaker version of pregabalin (Lyrica) (i think they are metabolized into the same chemical in the body) helps ease opiate withdrawals (personally, i have noticed these effects in methadone and dilaudid) significantly. also, when i have been going through intense alcohol withdrawls/delirium tremens, gabapentin/pregabalin has also shown EXTREME effectiveness in relieving withdrawals.

Did u have a habit before this stretch of use or no? Cuz if not the WD might not have necessarily been that bad naturally

Did u have a habit before this stretch of use or no? Cuz if not the WD might not have necessarily been that bad naturally

I guess you could be right but for the fact that others in this thread have reported the same withdrawal reducing effect of Lyrica.

How did you find out Lyrica was effective in treating opiate withdrawal symptons, if I may ask.

I've read medical journals that hinted at Pregabalin's efficacy for alleviating opiate WD symptoms and then decided to try it. I've been a chronic pain patient for a while and have access to a multitude of drugs. Lyrica at one point being one of them. It never really helped me for my pain, so I stockpiled about 4-5 scripts. The first time I "cold turkey'd" from Oxy, I used Lyrica extensively and found the WD to be negligible because of it.

It's a remarkable drug, useful for a huge number of applications. And it's even recreational to boot.

I am going through opiate withdrawls and I will say that the old bottle of lyrica I had also helps a lot with the restless leg syndrome associated with opiate withdrawal. My legs move like crazy and sleep, for any healthy amount of time, has been impossible. Lastnight was the first night of trying the lyrica and I actually slept and didn't wake up from my legs moving around like mad. So yes, I also agree that Lyrica does help very much with the opiate withdrawl symptoms....at least for the restless legs part. 'Tis a struggle everyday but one night of semi-normal sleep is better than what I've been going through for many days. Pure hell!!

Taking 600 mg Pregabalin daily and injecting heroin IV several times a day for at least six days.

Having heard from addicts about how Lyrica or related drugs lessen symptoms of opiate withdrawal and after doing research on the topic I had come to conclude that I could IV heroin without fear of getting stuck in a severe physical dependency. I was right.

Experienced IV addicts have said the physical withdrawals would be absolutely terrible after a weeks stretch of daily heroin shots. They were wrong.

I felt absolutely depressed and extremely tired when I quit using but I did not experience the flu-like symptoms junkie sickness had previously brought on me. In fact, I haven't experienced the flu for well over a month after perviously having quit the drug for days.

I think I'm now immune to physical withdrawals from heroin, likely an effect brought on by repeated use of heroin together with high doses of Lyrica, but that's beside the point.

Subjectively convinced Pregabalin is a miracle drug for severe opiate withdrawals

Input?
Definitely not immune to H wd.... Dont make that mistake bruh. The lyrica is helping and you're not shooting for long enough to really get hit by wds.