• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Lyrica VS gabapentin one question

soundsystem00

Bluelighter
I know there's prolly a megathread or something else but I am a BL veteran and just want one simple answer.

I have been taking 800mg gabapentin for three years. Three times a day. The doc gave me lyrica 100mg twice a day. I know lyrica is "stronger" than gabapentin, but there is no way that is even CLOSE to the dose of 800mg 3x gabapentin. No way.

I heard that 100mg lyrica is equal to 900mg gabepentin? That is a 3x stronger? Ive also heard that its 2x stronger..

a recreational dose of gabapentin is usually 1400mg or so. How much lyrica would that be?

Thanks guys. Big ups. I havent posted in OD in years. Hope all is well.

-ss

I read that Lyrica is 2.4x the strength of gabapentin. Wikipedia says Lyrica/pregabalin is 2-4x more potent as an analgesic then gabapentin. It also says Lyrica/pregabalin is 6 times more potent then gabapentin in binding affinity.

I have taken both drugs. Soundsystem you are underdosed on the Lyrica/ pregabalin. I personally take 150mg of Lyrica/pregabalin 3x day.

The tolerance comes from its high binding affinity.

To whomever is taking the gabapentin, the higher the dose, the less is absorbed. If I had 800 mg pills, I would break them in half at the minimum and take say 300mg to 400 mg (lower the better) every hour till you reach the level you want to be at. Staggering the gabapentin dose will get more into your system. I used to stagger 300mg pillls at the rate of 300 mg an hour. I was good by the 4th hour.

Soundsystem, you are underdosed. You can take both at once or stagger the Lyrica by an hour. The effects will last longer.

I read that Lyrica is 2.4x the strength of gabapentin. Wikipedia says Lyrica/pregabalin is 2-4x more potent as an analgesic then gabapentin. It also says Lyrica/pregabalin is 6 times more potent then gabapentin in binding affinity.

I have taken both drugs. Soundsystem you are underdosed on the Lyrica/ pregabalin. I personally take 150mg of Lyrica/pregabalin 3x day.

The tolerance comes from its high binding affinity.

To whomever is taking the gabapentin, the higher the dose, the less is absorbed. If I had 800 mg pills, I would break them in half at the minimum and take say 300mg to 400 mg (lower the better) every hour till you reach the level you want to be at. Staggering the gabapentin dose will get more into your system. I used to stagger 300mg pillls at the rate of 300 mg an hour. I was good by the 4th hour.

Soundsystem, you are underdosed. You can take both at once or stagger the Lyrica by an hour. The effects will last longer.

Thanks for that man. So, what is staggering again? I forgot, sorry.

"Staggering" refers to splitting the total dose into smaller even doses and taking each smaller dose in equal time increments: roughly 150 mg of gabapentin every 45 minutes is a good way to administer a full dose. The "overcrowding" caused by taking a full gabapentin dose all at once will result in most of the drug being eliminated unused, a decreased BA with a higher dose.

I am not aware that Lyrica dosing benefits at all from staggering.

Staggering is taking for example with gabapentin, one small amount every hour, straight up till you are where you want to be.
Same principle for Lyrica. Lyrica technically doesn't need staggering, but you can. I have found you can stagger Lyrica at a higher dose. Staggering is more for gabapentin, but people will argue, but you can stagger Lyrica also.

Btw, you forgot? I explained the concept in the last post. ;)

Gosh, ye all make me jealous with yer low doses, im prescribed 600mg daily of lyrica, so a recreational effect for me would be 1,2--mg +....does lyrica have a ceiling effect btw? :)b

Ive been prescribed both lyrica and gabapentin(off label for depression) but of course i only took it trying to get high. In my experience lyrica is alot more recreational than gabapentin. Something like 300mg/1500mg. But its hard for me to judge strength considering strength. What i do know is when i was on lyrica the max dose i had to take was like 900-1200. With gabapentin i found it almost impossible to get the same effect as lyrica. Gabapentin i found impossible to get any real recreational effects. I once took 6000mg in staggered doses and still only felt sleepy. By the way i had built up a huge tolerance to both. Lyrica to me is a better drug to me. But also keep in mind i was taking it to get high.

I take 600 mg Lyrica (2x300mg)a day for peripheral neurapathy from chemotherapy I started with 150mg 2 x day and my provider increased to 600 mg a day originally I was on gabapentin that didn't help me I started Lyrica in 2013 and increased to 600 mg dropping gabapentin which did not help at all. 600 is what my provider capped me at it works well for about 9 hours and I have to take another dose I also take DULoxetine 90 mg daily which helps too with the pain not as well as Lyrica. Anyone out there take over 600 mg and if so what's the effect on neurapathy?

Last edited:
can you alternate between gabapentin and lyrica? like one day gab one day lyrica? or will the tolerance build no matter what?

Ive been prescribed both lyrica and gabapentin(off label for depression) but of course i only took it trying to get high. In my experience lyrica is alot more recreational than gabapentin. Something like 300mg/1500mg. But its hard for me to judge strength considering strength. What i do know is when i was on lyrica the max dose i had to take was like 900-1200. With gabapentin i found it almost impossible to get the same effect as lyrica. Gabapentin i found impossible to get any real recreational effects. I once took 6000mg in staggered doses and still only felt sleepy. By the way i had built up a huge tolerance to both. Lyrica to me is a better drug to me. But also keep in mind i was taking it to get high.
can i alternate days between gabapentin and lyrica in order to prevent tolerance?

1st, 600 mg Lyrica is the higest that phizer recommends prescribed. They cap me at 450 mg, but 600 mg is optiomal for me.

2nd (pardon the order) gabapentin and Lyrica/pregabalin are cross tolerant. They are different in areas, but similar enough to cause a cross tolerant effect. I do not know to what degree. I will and you should check with your provider.

IME, there is really no reason to go over 600 mg/day. I'm tolerant to many things, but 300 mg - 600 mg always takes care of the issues with pain.

Saying one drug is more recreational then the other is purely subjective. People like both drugs for different reasons.

1st, 600 mg Lyrica is the higest that phizer recommends prescribed. They cap me at 450 mg, but 600 mg is optiomal for me.

2nd (pardon the order) gabapentin and Lyrica/pregabalin are cross tolerant. They are different in areas, but similar enough to cause a cross tolerant effect. I do not know to what degree. I will and you should check with your provider.

IME, there is really no reason to go over 600 mg/day. I'm tolerant to many things, but 300 mg - 600 mg always takes care of the issues with pain.

Saying one drug is more recreational then the other is purely subjective. People like both drugs for different reasons.
thank you so much, please let me know if you hear back from your provider.

I can never fathom how people attempt to use gabapentin at doses of 2,500mg or whatever. I know for me, 800mg is plenty enough to feel euphoric and relaxed. Anything more just feela plain unpleasant.
I just got back on lyrica recently starting dose of 150 mg...that's a huge amount for me at once. I can. Handle 75-100mg but who knows maybe I'm super sensitove to Lyrica and gaba