• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids LYRICA (pregabalin) and methadone detox

anonsufflk

Greenlighter
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is in the right place, and I apologise if it isn't. My background: Heroin habit for around 13 years....smoking on foil. I have been on Methadone now for around 8 years, with regular (read almost daily) usage on top. I am currently taking 50 ml orally/day. However, I have now had no methadone or gear for aproximately 48 hours. I have had in total 600 ml of Lyrica.......and I actually feel on top of the world....if a little bit wobbly, so excuse any typing errors please. I am hoping to hear from anybody else who has tried to quit methadone with Lyrica. At the moment I feel like I could continue with what I am taking, and then perhaps taper the lyrica and take a nominal amount of methadone. Say leave it a few days(still taking 300ml Lyrica/Day) then take 5 ml meth, and reduce the pre gabalin by 100ml? At the moment I feel like a miracle is occuring.....never over the last 8 years have I gone any where near this length of time without putting some form of opiate in my body! I can't beleive it.... by now I should be really really ill, but I am not....any body who has had a habit will now that the last thing I should be able to do is type this with a smile on my face! So...please, am I going to be smashed to pieces with some sort of delayed WD? Or will it be possible to taper my Lyrica, and not have the illness come over me? Could this really be a cure that the pharma' companies don't want us to know about?

Any comments or discussion welcome.....if you don't hear back from me you know the WD's have risen again!

Kind regards,
Anon

Lyrica and Neurontin are routinely prescribed to addicts of opiates if they have even a semblance of a legitimate psychiatric issue bridging on anxiety or bi-polar. The truth is that we don't know that much about how these two drugs work (you can go on their website and see a general explanation), but there are many people who say they're very effective in alleviating opiate withdrawal.

Thanks for the reply. I have taken a further 300ml since previous post and have been up and about going about my usual routine. I have a few shivers in my back and shoulders but thats it. So its now 3 days since last methadone dose. i will keep posting on here, and look forward to anymore input.

There's a good chance but unknown how long you'll have to stay on it. If it works and you take it for just 10 days or so to get through the detox you'll probably be hit with massive depression/anxiety if you just quit, as Lyrica has an emotional effect very similar to opiates. So you'll probably won't want to get off it. It soon also stops working every day and needs to be taken every other day (or better every third day for effect). Though I suppose it might still work to keep withdrawls off, you just feel nothing.

Also keep in mind you get addicted after a while and the withdrawal is a HELLISH combination of opiate/benzo withdrawal (more like benzo). It will send your blood pressure and heartbeat through the roof and can kill you (read about an old lady who died from seizure). So you need to either taper it down slowly, replace it with Gabapentin for a while, or detox on a combination of benzos and opiates (or at least benzos).

That is, if you want to go about it painlessly.

Yes heart beat seems a bit funny at the moment, slightly worried. I think I should be able to taper the pre-gabs, and yes i hope ten days will be enough to clear the worst of the methadone WD, although I am aware it is a long road ahead, and I will probably struggle for months! Just want this monkey off my back for good....I am sick of being tied down to a clinic and pharmacy.....heres hoping this time I can make it!

II
Hi guys,
Not sure if this is in the right place, and I apologise if it isn't. My background: Heroin habit for around 13 years....smoking on foil. I have been on Methadone now for around 8 years, with regular (read almost daily) usage on top. I am currently taking 50 ml orally/day. However, I have now had no methadone or gear for aproximately 48 hours. I have had in total 600 ml of Lyrica.......and I actually feel on top of the world....if a little bit wobbly, so excuse any typing errors please. I am hoping to hear from anybody else who has tried to quit methadone with Lyrica. At the moment I feel like I could continue with what I am taking, and then perhaps taper the lyrica and take a nominal amount of methadone. Say leave it a few days(still taking 300ml Lyrica/Day) then take 5 ml meth, and reduce the pre gabalin by 100ml? At the moment I feel like a miracle is occuring.....never over the last 8 years have I gone any where near this length of time without putting some form of opiate in my body! I can't beleive it.... by now I should be really really ill, but I am not....any body who has had a habit will now that the last thing I should be able to do is type this with a smile on my face! So...please, am I going to be smashed to pieces with some sort of delayed WD? Or will it be possible to taper my Lyrica, and not have the illness come over me? Could this really be a cure that the pharma' companies don't want us to know about?

Any comments or discussion welcomeg.....if you don't hear back from me you know the WD's have risen again!

Kind regards,
Anon

I dont no if you guys are from the U.S I'm from the Britain
Hello my name is Callum I was using heroin and crack together I only started Using last year. And I wanted to stop but the effects of not having it was too much. So I went addaction which helps and scripts for either methadone or suboxine which is a substitute and blocks all opium based medication or heroin. I'm on methadone 50mg and clean for 4 Months. What help me was pregabillin. I had my last smoke went too bed I set alarm for 7am take tablet then go back bed and wake at 9:30 wasn't feeling to bad pick my daily 50mg of methadone up all that day I was feeling fresh and ready and never had any withdrawal pains the pregabs were getting me off the gear it was easy coming of it once I had my methadone and 1 pregabillin 75mg for a week and then stopped taking the pregabs it was a bit shit for three days cause my body wanted the pregabs back but after 3 days I was great.

I got prescribed 600mg pregabalin a day (the highest legal dose allowed in the UK) last year and have now started methadone maintenance therapy. One thing I will say is that pregabalin (and to a lesser extent gabapentin) eases 95% of opiate withdrawal symptoms. But the above poster is right that the emotional upside of these drugs disappears after regular use, but it still works on the physical symptoms of withdrawal.

im taking 3x 300mg of pre-gabalin a day for the next 5 days while i do my herion detox will i feel a WD of the pre-gabalin? just wondered if u may know ?

It's possible at the least rebound effects if anything. You can't escape a withdrawal only reduce its severity. Gabapentin rebound is easier than late withdrawal if one is not to weak to handle it like myself then it's a cake walk compared to opiate withdrawal. I just have sciatic issues and chronic pain that during acute flair ups deal with my ability to manage my life intensity autistic issues that have become neurotic issues that mask it making it hard for a careless dr to see leaving them guessing at the most idiotic stereotypical guess of bipolar, schizophrenia, or drugs causing those behaviors yet never looking at the underlying behavioral, instinctual, and conscious choice.

I have methadone 40mg gonna take it with 600mg pregab even with a tolerance to pregab I nprice I can go around 15hours before proper rattling if taken pregabs but you. also get a rattle off pregab unfortunately
would mixing 20mg methadojenpotentiate 120mg morphine i have plugged up to 300my before and I agree methadone and morphine are very similar mothine style nod with a mild oxy type high add pregabs and.small.dose benzo you feel great