• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Lyrica Anxiolytic Effect

telepathetic

Bluelighter
Does the anxiolytic effect of lyrica wear off with tolerance? I've read the megathread and can't seem to find any information on this. I read that the "high" stops - which i don't mind, but i was just prescribed it for GAD and its working amazingly and I'm worried it will stop working.

I'm taking 50mg 3x a day

Yes, tolerance builds very rapidly above 600mg daily doses, and seems to peak at 4-5 days. After that. It's a matter of diminishing returns. A three day break is usually enough to drop tolerance.

Yes, tolerance builds very rapidly above 600mg daily doses, and seems to peak at 4-5 days. After that. It's a matter of diminishing returns. A three day break is usually enough to drop tolerance.

i'm not talking about tolerance issue, i don't mind not getting the high. I've heard conflicting people saying that after the tolerance happens and they stop "feeling" the lyrica, the anxiolytic effect remains. Is this true?

My doctor claims the therapeutic value of pregabalin / gabapentin remains even in long-term therapy for many.

This value could be for neuropathic pain, or perhaps in psychiatric uses, like for GAD or social anxiety.

Last edited:
Like with most drugs, the tolerance to the therapeutic effects when taken as-prescribed will develop very slowly. I took stable doses for 3-4 years for neuropathic pain and tolerance was never an issue. If you take massive doses (such as 600mg) to get high then yeah, tolerance will develop rapidly.

btw, in my case, tolerance did not mean a decrease in the drugs neuropathic pain inhibition qualities... thank god. I just stopped being able to get a mean tweak on.

For me, tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of pregabalin did develop, though it took about twice as long as tolerance to what some would term the recreational effects (about four months for anxiolytic vs. two for the latter). This was at 300-450mg daily.

~ vaya

No offense but this shouldn't even be a question. If it IS A DRUG, then YES, it is inevitable you will gain a tolerance to EVERY single side effect that drug creates. This is brain chemistry 101. You push a chemical this way, your brain fights to push it back the other way.

So yes, the anxiolytic effects will slowly dissociate with extended use.
However, your body does still stablize if you do not raise the dose. So you will gain tolerance to a certain extent, but then will find to a lower degree, but more consistently it will stave off anxiety.

It won't be as much as initially, but it will be more consistent. When you raise the dose again, tolerance develops again, you stablize, then raise the therapeutic floor another milimeter or so. Its how it goes will all drugs. Don't get depressed about it or anything, because it will still work. And even after I developed a tolerance to lyrica I noticed it still worked fairly well for anxiety, nothing like the first day I took it where I was starting conversations with every single person I saw, but more like when I needed to start a conversation it was nothing like being off the lyrica. Way easier, was more social, and after a certain point it became a new norm for my behavoir. At least till you stop the lyrica lol.

But shorter answer is yes.

lyrica is great for anxiety, its comparable to klonopin for me, but doesn't bring on as much sedation

You always gotta ask yourself: Are you expecting relief or do you want to get high?
And for the OP: no you won't develop tolerance if you use it as prescribed.
For some massive doses are required to achieve a high (I took 1200 mg for 2 years, no tolerance) but the terapeutic effects could be seen at 300 mg (again never developed tolerance).

i'm not talking about tolerance issue, i don't mind not getting the high. I've heard conflicting people saying that after the tolerance happens and they stop "feeling" the lyrica, the anxiolytic effect remains. Is this true?
note to self, 12 years later: you are UNABLE to feel ANYTHING from gabapentinoids anymore.

p.s. admins, can I get into that old account if i send ID that matches the email?!