Lying on a job application?

H

Help420

I am fully aware that if you lie on a job application an employer can fire you after uncovering the truth. My question is, can you get arrested for saying on your job application that you have never committed a crime/felony even if you have a felony on your record? Are there any consequences beyond not being hired in the first place and or termination if this fact is determined after you have been hired?

Thanks for the help

Also check out your country/states laws on spent convictions, it's probably a long shot if you're in the US though.

Help420 said:
I am fully aware that if you lie on a job application an employer can fire you after uncovering the truth. My question is, can you get arrested for saying on your job application that you have never committed a crime/felony even if you have a felony on your record? Are there any consequences beyond not being hired in the first place and or termination if this fact is determined after you have been hired?

Thanks for the help
as mentioned, more details are needed. generally, people who get caught lying on a job app are fired or disciplined. but an employer could theoretically take a civil action against the employee, if there are damages due to fraud. again, criminal penalties would depend on the situation and local law.

Need to answer a question ANON

This is in response to a question someone asked me in an Anonymous thread I had sent to legal Q&A. The people asked what country and state I was from in order to better advise me of an answer to the legal question. This is the original question: Lying on a job application?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another poster asked where I was from so please type this answer in that thread.

I live in the state of Connecticut

Lying on an application that involves a federal government job is a crime. States also have laws that make lying on an application for a state job a crime. Most cases seem to involve jobs where a security clearances or public safety is concerned. I don't have access to Connecticut case law, so I can't give you a better answer about private sector jobs.

Most of the time (if it's a small-time employer) they'll just fire you and that'll be it, but if it's a federal job or something bigger then they might pursue a lawsuit if they find it important enough.

Forgery or passing a forged document would be the only things you would be guilty of but you are very unlikely to receive either of those. You will lose any good standing with the company, though, if they were to find out. If you are looking to work for this company to gain experience for a resume, then I wouldn't do it.