View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lsd while being on Risperidone

Drug_Head

Bluelighter
Is it possible to trip with enough doses of acid, while being on this drug?

No. Risperidone will completely block LSD. It's well known as a complete LSD antagonist (directly quoting a few case studies I read).

Well, it doesn't completely block it... you'll be able to tell you took LSD. You will feel the stimulation and body load, but that's it.

No visuals, no head high, nothing. It would be a complete waste.

Depending on how long/how much risperidone you take you will need to stop taking it for 1-4 weeks before you can get high LSD.

I mean, I guess you could take a massive dose of LSD to overcome the risperidone but this is a really stupid idea and I do not suggest it. Say you took 1000ug, you would have visuals on the level of about 50-100ug but the body load of 1000ug (bad idea!)

Speaking from my direct experience with both drugs and research I've done.

Last edited:
What if I up the dose of acid? And take some benzos (alternatively, a lot of beer) to counteract the body load?

Which other drugs (except abilify) will I ba able to trip on? I am planning to switch medication, but not sure which one...

Will xeplion work?

Last edited:
I have done this. You would need a very large dose to get anything from it unfortunately.

I’ve tripped many times on risperdones sister molecule invega. Ridoerdone is strange that you react much more slowly.

I guess it also would depend on which dose of risperidone I am on, but I would guess a medium dose...

I was only on about 0.5mcg and I could barely get effects from a trip on 300ug. The acid I had may have been shit though.

Props on not stopping your meds. If I was you then, I’d do the usual titration of taking 100ug every hour-3hrs until you get there.

Not trying to talk you out of it but why are you on risperidone? I’m sure it will be fine but I always feel concern for people with mental health issues trying psychoactive substances... especially if they’re new to it. But it will all be fine anyway! I mean, I did it, so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not completely new to acid, so I think I should be fine. Am medicated for bioplar, but I don't feel that I need the medication anymore...

Not completely new to acid, so I think I should be fine. Am medicated for bioplar, but I don't feel that I need the medication anymore...
Please don’t say that 😆 unusual choice of medication for bipolar but I guess your symptoms require it. Remember you always get to a point on medication where you feel better so you stop it to see if you are better but you actually just relapse. (I can’t talk, I do this all the time). Anyway, safe travels my friend!

Please don’t say that 😆 unusual choice of medication for bipolar but I guess your symptoms require it. Remember you always get to a point on medication where you feel better so you stop it to see if you are better but you actually just relapse. (I can’t talk, I do this all the time). Anyway, safe travels my friend!
I get your drift and would also urge caution but sometimes people don't relapse and feel better without meds- overmedication is rife for absolute certain

I get your drift and would also urge caution but sometimes people don't relapse and feel better without meds- overmedication is rife for absolute certain
That’s true. For *some* people. Don’t know this person so can’t really comment. Just a reflex when I hear that because I’ve never heard anyone stop meds and be fine. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen though!

That’s true. For *some* people. Don’t know this person so can’t really comment. Just a reflex when I hear that because I’ve never heard anyone stop meds and be fine. Doesn’t mean it can’t happen though!
You're a nurse and have never heard of that? Am truly amazed and it suggest
some kinda tone deaf medical-model motif, no disrespect

It most certainly can and does happen, I've personally heard confirmed by literally dozens of people. It also most definitely does not happen every time though, as you
know.

Obviously more common than you think though. It's possible to recover from most (potentially all) mental health conditions

You're a nurse and have never heard of that? Am truly amazed and it suggest
some kinda tone deaf medical-model motif, no disrespect

It most certainly can and does happen, I've personally heard confirmed by literally dozens of people. It also most definitely does not happen every time though, as you
know.

Obviously more common than you think though. It's possible to recover from most (potentially all) mental health conditions
You know we are agreeing right?

I am saying anecdotally all I hear from people are stories of them going on and off their meds because they think they’re better (the meds are working) when they’re not and have to go back on. And as a nurse, of course I’d see that more often clinically as well- we see sick people in hospital not well people! Duh!

I understand anecdotally you hear the opposite and that’s fine! As I said, I believe it’s possible and I believe your experience!

I am agreeing with you that it’s possible- I’m only urging caution. Jeez. 🙄

If I was you then, I’d do the usual titration of taking 100ug every hour-3hrs until you get there.
Big waste of acid. Redosing within something like 72 hours has much less effect, and you'll get more of the adrenergic and other unpleasantness rather than the desired effects at 5HT. If you must take the acid, you'll have to titrate and find the desired dose over a pretty extended period of time. Please don't jump into taking a shitton of tabs at once, though. Don't listen to the people hear throwing out numbers of how much you should take.

I deliberately say "tabs" rather than a putative dose in μg because doses claimed for commercial acid are about 99% pure bullshit (even if you know for a fact the dose that was laid, it also degrades.) Bit of a pet peeve for me. People have this assumption that 1 typical tab is 100 μg as a rule of thumb, and that's simply not true. 100 μg is a lot stronger than people imagine it to be (speaking as someone who's privileged to know exactly what mics feel like.)

But I digress. As for Risperdal, it is a particularly effective (or problematic, depending on your perspective) neuroleptic in terms of blocking LSD, perhaps even better than Thorazine, which is usually recommended by people who are familiar with psychedelics, and was the drug of choice to abort trips dating back to Tim Leary. Haldol, the usual go-to, along with Ativan, for psychotic agitation in hospital emergency departments, is not as good as either. An atypical is not a bad choice though—I'd go with Zyprexa, Risperdal isn't that quick acting and isn't available for injection–but I'm a traditionalist at heart, I'd probably stick with Thorazine, 50mg i.m., repeatedly if necessary. That's what Dr. Leary himself suggested in The Psychedelic Experience, and though he was wrong about a lot of things, this isn't one of them.

Risperdal, along with the other modern atypical antipsychotics to one degree or another, is especially effective in blocking LSD because of its antiserotinergic effects. Thorazine has more of this as well compared to most of the older typical drugs. Thorazine and LSD are both "promiscuous" in the brain—they effect just about every receptor, just in different directions.

For a person taking Risperdal contemplating an acid trip, I'd be wary due to the underlying condition that this drug is there to treat. I'm glad to hear that the option of simply skipping the dose isn't what we're talking about here—that would be dangerous, we'd be dealing not only with a person with underlying psychiatric issues taking LSD but a person with those predisposition in a state of neurochemical "rebound" from the neuroleptic. Bad news.

Further bad news is as I touched on before some of the promiscuous effects of LSD I mentioned above with respect to receptors other than serotonin and dopamine will be in full high-dose swing before you get the desired 5HT/D2 effects. This will possibly lead to unpleasant body load, anxiety, and peripheral effects. Adrenergic effects, for example, of LSD are minimal at low doses but significant at high doses. Not as badly as some of the phenetylamines which can actually cause serious vasoconstriction, but it enough to be noticeable and potentially contribute to a bad time. In terms of these receptors you'll be taking a huge dose even if most of that dose is blocked in terms of the receptors you really want to hit. In fact, the effects on each receptors reach a plateau eventually, different for each one.

Beyond about 1.4mg of LSD, the effects you're getting as you increase the dose are more and more peripheral and less serotonergic/dopamonergic. Basically what @SnafuInTheVoid was saying. Yes, this means kids taking a couple strips at a time are just wasting good L, and setting themselves up for negative effects with no upside. Sometimes they're doing this after getting spun for days and building tolerance. They're still going to get proportinately more bad effects than good, even if they need to overcome tolerance. Basically same thing for you if you're taking Risperdal and needing to overcome receptor blockade. Subjectively, even if you clear the receptor blockade, the experience is likely still going to be attenuated. Even more so at extreme doses.

Unfortunately, as a bottom line, I wouldn't drop acid on risperidone, period, both because it's dangerous due to underlying issues and also because it's potentially just not worth it. It can be done but even if you don't get a negative outcome you may not get what you want. I'd pass.

But to reiterate, the responsible way to do this would be to start with maybe no more than twice a typical dose—assuming you've tried a typical dose and gotten nothing, otherwise maybe a typical dose just to be safe—and see what effects you get, wait several days, increase the dose, rinse, wash, repeat. Increase by one, maybe two at the max if and when you're taking a bunch, dosage units per session. Be careful though, it can sneak up on you. Definitely don't redose in the same session. Waste of L at best.

When tapering up, be particularly mindful of any body load, peripheral effects, etc.—any effects you feel although they're not tripping in the usual sense—you might be experiencing, and be aware that pleasant or not you'll have to deal with them, probably worse in fact, when you get fully tapered up.

All in all I'd still maintain that it's still a risky proposition. I think I've outlined a proper harm reduction approach, though. Don't expect the acid trip to equal any trips you might remember from before being on meds, though. Just being honest. However above all, don't discontinue the meds, especially abruptly. If the meds are an issue, discontinuation or changes need to be done with a doctor. I'm not even saying this as some kind of disclaimer, it really is a potentially dangerous situation.

As for the bigger question of going off meds, I've seen this phenomenon clinically more times than I can count—almost invariably, the patient feels much better after stopping the meds, especially after the first few days or week as it gets totally out of their system. They'll usually be feeling OK, maybe even "more themselves." After all, they have side effects and a generic dampening effect on consciousness. Yuck, right?

However, equally invariably, sometimes weeks or months later, there's a relapse to the mental illness. And it tends to be worse than before—research proves this, in schizophrenia at least—each run of stopping and going without meds makes the baseline a little worse. There's a permanent and cumulative effect on the brain.

The eventual kicker is that the patient, having felt better initially coming off meds, and then some time later becoming acutely ill, often doesn't, or outright refuses to, make the connection between stopping meds and having a crisis some time later. Nonetheless there's a cause and effect. Because it's not immediate, because the patient often doesn't want to believe they need medication, and because the nature of many psychiatric illness includes being unaware that one is ill.

TL;DR: Some good, some bad advice in this thread. I'd recommend against tripping period but if you must, try increasing your dose gradually over a few sessions, spread out over a few days. Don't under any circumstances just swallow an arbitrary number of doses someone suggested.

Last edited:
You know we are agreeing right?

I am saying anecdotally all I hear from people are stories of them going on and off their meds because they think they’re better (the meds are working) when they’re not and have to go back on. And as a nurse, of course I’d see that more often clinically as well- we see sick people in hospital not well people! Duh!

I understand anecdotally you hear the opposite and that’s fine! As I said, I believe it’s possible and I believe your experience!

I am agreeing with you that it’s possible- I’m only urging caution. Jeez. 🙄
I do know yes :) you're being touchy

Manics are forever ditching the meds and then off on a mad one, (so to speak)...part of the mania oftentimes

Reactions: SKL
You don't know me, but those who do know TL;DR is just how I roll. Feel free to ignore me. I like to digress about various stuff because I have a lot of experience in this arena and see some misconceptions circulating around in this thread, both expressed and implied. But some good answers too.

I like throwing out little nuggets of more or less related into because I find it interesting and hopefully someone else does too. But yeah, I've been told I should fuck off and write a book instead. My worst habit is continually going back and revising or adding shit to my posts though.

Just for you, I added a tl;dr summary to the bottom of my effortpost but still encourage everyone especially OP @Drug_Head to actually go ahead and give it a read. I effortpost because I care. ;)

Last edited:
Okay I might read it. Sorry about being rude but I really just couldn’t be bothered. It’s not exactly a super exciting interest of mine. It’s not you, so much as the topic.

What if I up the dose of acid? And take some benzos (alternatively, a lot of beer) to counteract the body load?
Nah man, I see what you're trying to do but you need to realize it's a waste of LSD and effort.

You can't cancel out high dose LSD side effects with beer or benzos for that matter.

Just wait it out. If you are taking risperidone every day for a length of time you're going to need to wait at least 14 days, probably closer to 21.

Unfortunately risperidone has a very long half life regarding its saturation and duration of action on receptors (longer than it's elimination half life, something like 3-6 days t1⁄2 iirc).

...Every single time I didn't wait long enough and had a ruined high/wasted LSD I ALWAYS kicked myself in the ass and felt like shit about it. Just wait. Trust...

Last edited: