• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD w/ Lupus and hypoglycemia. Is it "safe"?

trek123

Greenlighter
A friend suffer from Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) and occasionally from hypoglycemic crisis. Will taking LSD be safe for him?
I've read that it won't intereact with Lupus (just chose a "good" day), is it true?
And I'm more worried about the glucose levels. Will it be safe just to try to give him something to eat (mostly fruits) during the trip?
Any advice and/or direct experience?

No direct experience. This is a medical question, and I'm not a medical practitioner, just an armchair scientist really. I can't think of any particular reason why it would be less safe for your friend to take LSD than it would be for someone without those conditions.

LSD is a good choice for someone like this I think, because it's quite lacking in side effects and has been used for a long time now, so we have a pretty good idea of how it behaves in the body.

Yes if you do this you should have fruits ready for him to eat, and probably encourage him to do so (moderately) because it might be hard for him to gauge his needs in this regard while tripping.

I have personal experience with people with lupus tripping, and I have hypoglycemia myself, and I can say that it's 100% safe as long as the person isn't in too much discomfort from the lupus to begin with (like during a flare). Just make him eat at least some fruit throughout the trip. I find that eating candy, like chewing on gum with sugar, is the best option for me.

It's safe, but she might experience the emotion of their disease.

I don't know anything about Lupus but the biggest risk with the hypoglycemia would be that, due to their altered state, the person might not feel the typical warning signs of a low blood sugar that they would normally experience. They might think, "hmmmm is my blood sugar dropping or am I just tripping hard?" Or they might even feel great despite a dropping blood sugar.

If this person wants to take LSD then they absolutely should. Just have a glucose monitor handy and test a few times over the course of the experience. Even if they don't feel low, test a few times anyway. And of course have some candy or something around in case the blood sugar drops.

I'd also like to add that sometimes a strong trip can actually cause a person's blood sugar to drop (or even rise). So yea, just stay aware of that blood sugar and you should be all good. Have fun :)

Don't mean to worry you but some psychedelics or even many have some kind of effect on the immune-system (2C-B is a good example of that and it is not nearly as pharmologically promiscuous as LSD), often it is an activating effect. If you have an auto-immune disease I don't know that there is no contraindication, and that it would be truly safe. Systemic lupus affects all organs, not a good sign here.

Bottom-line: nobody here should give medical advice since we can't be liable for your choices... please keep that in mind, this thread being open in absolutely contingent on that.

I hope your friend doesn't have to suffer too much given the advent of medical science! He certainly deserves to trip, but you'd better let an independent and uninvolved MD decide and not this forum. much love

Again, thank you all for your precious comments.

@Solipsis, I know I should not consider this forum as a place for medical advice. I just wanted to have some comments from people in the same situation.
I would love to find an independent and uninvolved MD (also because every Lupus case is quite unique), but that's not easy ;) We'll work on that

Don't mean to worry you but some psychedelics or even many have some kind of effect on the immune-system (2C-B is a good example of that and it is not nearly as pharmologically promiscuous as LSD), often it is an activating effect. If you have an auto-immune disease I don't know that there is no contraindication, and that it would be truly safe. Systemic lupus affects all organs, not a good sign here.
That's interesting. What's the mechanism behind it?
According to this study, 5HT2A stimulation (by DOI in this case) suppresses the immune system. Conversely, the 2A antagonist ketanserin stimulates production of T cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21240377