• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides [LSD Subthread] Risks & Dangers

just to be clear, a true hallucination is one that your perception cannot distinguish from reality.. or rather, your normal, sober perceived reality

if you've ever experienced psychosis, delerium etc you have probably experienced true hallucinations

tripping is an entirely different experience because you are aware that what you're experiencing at the moment is a result of a drug, and that's what makes it cool

of course a lot of us have tripped hard! that's what it's all about, son

i dont understand the need for the difference between hallucination and "true hallucination". The definition you just defined, would, in my mind, be the definition of a regular hallucination.

Auditory hallucinations are not something that i really like to have happen to me or strive to get out of a drug experience. Visual hallucinations are awesome and i have had auditory ones, but i really don't like to just hear weird noises that arent real when im tripping. It starts to creep me out. One of the reasons i stick mainly to LSD is because of the intense visual hallucination.

i dont understand the need for the difference between hallucination and "true hallucination". The definition you just defined, would, in my mind, be the definition of a regular hallucination.

i just explained the difference. :| a true hallucination is a delusion- things like seeing spiders, feeling bugs on your skin etc that aren't there, but you don't know that because you're in a psychotic state... this can be drug induced or caused by various mental disorders. i myself experience this, as well as many other types of hallucinations.. i don't need to list them all here, wikipedia actually has a decent article on the different types of hallucinations-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallucination

Auditory hallucinations are not something that i really like to have happen to me or strive to get out of a drug experience. Visual hallucinations are awesome and i have had auditory ones, but i really don't like to just hear weird noises that arent real when im tripping. It starts to creep me out. One of the reasons i stick mainly to LSD is because of the intense visual hallucination.

no offence, but how can you not have aural hallucinations on sid? i don't mean hearing voices or things that are not actually there, but a profound distortion of what is there... at least for me, i always hear music as very metallic, with low to zero cutoff frequency, wavy distortion etc.. listen to acid house and you get the idea

most of the time i would describe the visual effects from psychedelics as more along the lines of visual distortions as opposed to hallucinations. The latter I would consider to be "perceived objects that aren't there," and have only experienced a handful of times in my 8ish years of psychedelic use, as a consequence of drug use anyway. I used to suffer from frequent and unpleasant hypnopompic hallucinations, but they never occurred during or immediately after psychedelic use, in fact i'm pretty convinced they were mostly due to abuse of cocaine, alcohol & benzo's. I've also had hallucinations from opiates, but those could probably be considered hypnopompic and/or hypnogogic hallucinations, given the noddy state that large doses of opiates put one in. The first notable hallucination i had as a result of psychedelic drug use was caused by an absolutely ridiculous series of large doses of lsd over a weekend during which i saw things like birds & bats that weren't there, and something manifest that i interpreted as the devil, but looked suspiciously like yoshimitsu from tekken, and eat someone, but I was aware this was due to drug ingestion and found it hilarious.... strange I know... but nonetheless it was well beyond the standard waving, warping, etc that are very common with LSD. The visualization of the birds was well after peak and one of my friends who wasn't on acid kept having to tell me there were no birds... ha... and the bats, probably the most vivid and long lived of the "true hallucinations," actually occurred during a concert. I kept flailing my arms about to attempt to keep them away. Luckily everyone in our section was all sorts of riproring fucked up and found my antics amusing. The most intense hallucination i've ever had was from a combination of sleep deprivation & mushrooms at a music festival. I was literally in a different world, the people and scenery around me looked like some sort of twisted tim burton version of grimm's fairy tales characters and the concert field i was in looked like an ancient forest. The difference between what I was seeing and the terrain in front of me was so great i was unable to walk, I would bump into things i didn't see, attempt to avoid things that weren't there, and eventually just fall over and roll around in the grass and laugh hysterically. Not entirely unenjoyable but i did have an unreasonable amount of fear that someone would attempt to get me medical attention and i would be unable to articulate that i was fine and just needed to ride it out for a few hours. I also used to have this bizarre recurring hallucination of a distant overpass whenever I would be on the highway for a while after having smoked pot. Hasn't happened in years now, but used to be very frequent. There was actually a recurring thought loop that accompanied it: "Is that an overpass up there? I don't remember one being here... Shit there's nothing there at all, I'm hallucinating a damn overpass again, what a lame thing to hallucinate. Wait... I think I really see one up ahead (repeat ad nauseum)"

Last edited:
+1 for whoever said DMT creates true hallucinations, even according to the many definitions in this thread.

If I take 3 large hits I will not know my own name, city, species, sex etc... and often I am being guided around another place by some sort of energy being shown amazing things.

I have many other examples of DMT trips that are true hallucinations, although most experiences are fairly similar.

Also when i come to from a large smoked DMT dose and begin to percieve the room and my surroundings I often do not remember ever smoking DMT, although it was just 5 minutes before hand. At this point the walls are breathing and creating patterns to a insane degree (300mcg+ of LSD style) but I can at least see where I am.

DMT causes one to truly hallucinate, and also more importantly make love (or war) with IT (aka God)

yeah, i was excluding dmt from the collection of true hallucinations just because that's so weird i don't even know what to call it really, though its not terribly different from sleep deprivation & mushrooms.