View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD - first time anxiety?

puffinsforhands

Greenlighter
Hi all, probably a bit of a noob question but I can't seem to find a solid answer online.

I'm trying LSD for the first time with a couple of close friends tomorrow. We're staying inside and making our flat nice and comfortable for the day, probably just gonna chill out and listen to some music - nothing unusual.

I've read that LSD can amplify the general mood you are in when starting the trip, and I'm wondering if my anxiety about trying it will cause a bad experience? I'm generally exited about trying it and generally content with my life at the moment but I get really nervous when trying any drug I haven't had before. I remember the first time I took MDMA the anxiety I had just after dropping was horrible, but obviously that all completely melted away once it kicked in about an hour later. Can I expect a similar experience with LSD? E.g. will I wonder why I was worrying when the trip starts?

Thanks.

- Puffin

Worrying like you do before your first LSD trip is perfectly normal. People who don't worry generally don't understand the seriousness of what they're getting into.

Your set and setting (equally important as the chemical) seem to be in order. If you're LSD is tested (!!) and you have a more or less idea about the dose, you shouldn't expect any problem.

yes, there will be anxiety. Will it dissipate *just like* with MDMA ? No probably not, it needs a bit more "work". Watching your breathing (not controlling it per se) might help a great deal.

Maybe try to think sometime during the come-up "who is it that is feeling anxiety? How come I can witness this anxiety without being controlled by it ?"

Be sure to be hydrated well before you start and have a ligfht meal 4 hours before dropping.

Have fun :)

EDIT; if, for some reason, there's a feeling inside you tomorrow telling you "this is not the day for LSD" - listen to that feeling. Many more days te come.

If you are careful with the set and settings you'll be fine but there's always a chance that something will go wrong.

I had my first difficult trip a few weeks ago, I wouldnt say it was a bad trip because it wasnt horrific or anxiety related trip. After the peak, I checked my phone and my mother had called, so I thought I was already sober enough to talk with her. Well she didn't realize I was tripping or anything, but just that phone call made the difference and I ended up crying. Anyone who has cryed while tripping (not the euphoric tears) but emotional crying knows how intense it is. So I ended up drinking beers rest of the night and dulling the trip. Just things like this can lead the trip going the opposite direction because just a little while before the phone call I was peaking in utter euphoria on my bed.

It seems best to avoid phones during tripping and I made that mistake as I thought I could handle it.

Worrying like you do before your first LSD trip is perfectly normal. People who don't worry generally don't understand the seriousness of what they're getting into.

Your set and setting (equally important as the chemical) seem to be in order. If you're LSD is tested (!!) and you have a more or less idea about the dose, you shouldn't expect any problem.

yes, there will be anxiety. Will it dissipate *just like* with MDMA ? No probably not, it needs a bit more "work". Watching your breathing (not controlling it per se) might help a great deal.

Maybe try to think sometime during the come-up "who is it that is feeling anxiety? How come I can witness this anxiety without being controlled by it ?"

Be sure to be hydrated well before you start and have a ligfht meal 4 hours before dropping.

Have fun :)

EDIT; if, for some reason, there's a feeling inside you tomorrow telling you "this is not the day for LSD" - listen to that feeling. Many more days te come.

Thanks, I got my tabs from a trusted source and they're rated at 100ug each (we'll be taking one hit each, so a good beginner dose, right?). Good point on that last comment, I think I'll see how I feel tomorrow morning and make the decision then - I was thinking of eating a healthy breakfast and going out on a long bike ride before taking it around lunch time. I cycle almost everyday and have noticed I barely ever feel on edge after intense exercise, reckon this will help?

If you are careful with the set and settings you'll be fine but there's always a chance that something will go wrong.

I had my first difficult trip a few weeks ago, I wouldnt say it was a bad trip because it wasnt horrific or anxiety related trip. After the peak, I checked my phone and my mother had called, so I thought I was already sober enough to talk with her. Well she didn't realize I was tripping or anything, but just that phone call made the difference and I ended up crying. Anyone who has cryed while tripping (not the euphoric tears) but emotional crying knows how intense it is. So I ended up drinking beers rest of the night and dulling the trip. Just things like this can lead the trip going the opposite direction because just a little while before the phone call I was peaking in utter euphoria on my bed.

It seems best to avoid phones during tripping and I made that mistake as I thought I could handle it.

I read a couple other stories like this, making me wonder what inside my flat could trigger something like this! If you don't mind my asking, was it the nature of the phone call (emotions running high or something) that caused this reaction or was it simply talking on the phone, regardless of the subject? We're turning off phones, locking door etc and generally setting the day aside just to chill out.

I read a couple other stories like this, making me wonder what inside my flat could trigger something like this! If you don't mind my asking, was it the nature of the phone call (emotions running high or something) that caused this reaction or was it simply talking on the phone, regardless of the subject? We're turning off phones, locking door etc and generally setting the day aside just to chill out.

It was just something she said and her tone because I didn't want to talk too long, just a regular conversation but it triggered thoughts about my relationship with her as I haven't been my best self lately. It's good to turn off phones yeah but don't make people worry about you if they can't contact you. But it's better safe than sorry, imagine if you would get some horrible news via phone while tripping.

Every single time I trip, I have pre-trip 'jitters' in the line of 'I hope it doesn't go south'. Occasionally I'll get a really strong feeling of 'I don't think I should do this tonight'. Most of the time I pay attention to that feeling. The few times I've ignored it, I usually end up with an uncomfortable trip (never a bad one yet, knock on wood).

Anxiety? I have that in spades. I've been prescribed Diazepam and Lorazepam in the past, as well as Paxil (?) for generalized anxiety disorder. The Paxil lasted 1 pill with side effects so bad I threw them all out. The benzo's I haven't touched in almost 6 years and don't miss them.

I did worry about what would or could happen the first time I tripped; but within half an hour of taking mushrooms (or 4-AcO-DMT or 1P-LSD) I was overcome by such a tranquil feeling of peace and serenity that I fell in love with psychs. I still get pre-trip butterflies even now after a few hundred trips.

As has been mentioned, set, setting, plenty of distractions, good music, friends and light snacks and you should be good to go. I tend to like fruit, yogurt dips, veggies and (believe it or not) sushi. Also, I've found that on 1p-lsd beer is quite nice.

Tom

I get pre-trip anxiety and I've been tripping frequently for a few years now. I've found that drinking a beer before and/or during the come-up really helps alleviate anxiety. I don't trip LSD without having a beer anymore, because it helps me that much.

It's natural to be a bit anxious about something you've never tried before, some fear of the unknown... i found that everytime i took LSD it took care of any anxieties i had as it felt so good. The come up can feel a little strange as your mind is opening up, but it soon passes... it sounds like you're preparing well for the experience and have a good setting. You're right that it can amplify your current mindstate so anxiety isn't ideal, but if you feel it's trustworthy and just let go then it can also dissolve that anxiety very easily aswell.

It's totally possible to have an emotional experience when on LSD, especially if you are thinking about your relationships with your mother, even if it's completely healthy you may cry just because of how much you love her. Just by laying back in bed i've unintentionally reviewed the history of my past relationships on LSD and it can be very emotional, but that can be a big part of the experience. There's good reason why it was used in psychotherapy in the past! If you're in a group situation that kind of personally deep trip can be less common though. It can also be very fun, the visuals are awesome, and music sounds great. One of my favorite things to do is to have my favorite music coming through headphones and just lay back...

Switching off your phones/doorbells etc is a good idea so there's no disturbances, staying hydrated is important, and also having space where someone can go lay down by themselves is nice too, if you have the whole flat then that's great.
100mcg should be a nice first trip, by the peak ~3hrs in you should be tripping quite nicely without being too strong at all. If you get really nervous then just take 50mcg, or cut a corner off and have 75mcg, you'll probably wish you just took a full 100mcg though ;)

If you go ahead with it let us know how it goes :)

Last edited:
Hi all, probably a bit of a noob question but I can't seem to find a solid answer online.

I'm trying LSD for the first time with a couple of close friends tomorrow. We're staying inside and making our flat nice and comfortable for the day, probably just gonna chill out and listen to some music - nothing unusual.

I've read that LSD can amplify the general mood you are in when starting the trip, and I'm wondering if my anxiety about trying it will cause a bad experience? I'm generally exited about trying it and generally content with my life at the moment but I get really nervous when trying any drug I haven't had before. I remember the first time I took MDMA the anxiety I had just after dropping was horrible, but obviously that all completely melted away once it kicked in about an hour later. Can I expect a similar experience with LSD? E.g. will I wonder why I was worrying when the trip starts?

Thanks.

- Puffin
I was in exactly the same place like you a while ago. I was more worried I'd feel sick or wouldn't feel any effect. Or what to expect. I was nervous. However, being with good friends helped a lot.

LSD mellows everything out and I was captivated by its intense effects, my nervousness faded extremely quickly.

Judging from the timestamps, I'm guessing you're about to trip or might already be experiencing it. In which case, I'm jealous!

Have fun!

I ALWAYS get anxious before tripping, I think its natural as it can be quite an intense experience but once it all starts the anxiety gives way to pleasure. I would sometimes postpone a trip if I got a gut feeling that I shouldn't do it. Remember Drug, Set and Setting, the way to ensure a positive experience.

Have a good one.

When I did it my first time I was nervous. I took it alone in my room one night just chilling. Right after I took it, I felt nervous; Like i was about to go on a roller coaster. This is why drugs need to be legal and regulated because I was getting anxiety from the thought of getting some research chemical. (ended up testing it. It was real LSD). Around 45 mins after taking it, I started to feel it kicking in. Eventually my nerves and anxiety went away, and I enjoyed a night of bong hits, pink floyd, and tripping total balls! :)

I'm thinking of taking for the first time also with a friend. Neither of us have tried before. I can get my hands on some 100ug tabs, which I will test. I get the pre trying anxiety, is it possible to take half the tab, see how I like the effects then take the other half? OR just take half the tab and leave it at that for the first try? I'm not looking for a huge trip on my first try I want to ease into it.

Cheers

Right, okay...

Firstly I'd like to thank you all for your responses, really positive stuff - put my mind at ease yesterday before taking it. Was going to update before the trip but it slipped my mind.

Now, the trip... Where to begin? As stated, I took it with a couple of close friends; a guy I lived with for a couple of years and the girl I'm living with now, who I've been friends with for about 5 years. The guy I used to live with had tried LSD a handful of times before but never tripped, we DEFINITELY tripped, hard... The tabs I got were rated at 100ug but reading reports of what 100ug is like, I would put any amount of money on them being much higher. There was definitely a phase of 'vivid colours', 'nothing too intense, just giggles' and 'a good beginner dose' - but after that threshold was passed the experience moved into a realm of questioning the very nature of consciousness, not having a grip on time (not just the passing of time, but the raw concept of it seemed to melt into oblivion) or even knowing what kind of 'entity' I was, or who it was who was experiencing these sensations...

I'll try to recount as best I can where my trip went - I'm sure for those of you experienced in psychedelics this will be nothing new but if you're interested in hearing the experience of a total newbie then read on :) I should also point out that I am 100% sure (and so are my friends) that this was genuine, pure LSD - bought from a trusted online vendor and tested by with reagents (I definitely feel like I had the full, unadulterated acid experience as far as I can tell).

8:30pm
Tabs under the tongue with a bottle of beer - let them sit for 10 mins before swallowing.

9:00
Begin to feel slightly floaty, we very quickly decided to leave the room that we'd set up for tripping just to walk around the flat a little bit. Enjoyed stretching and had a general exited feeling of coming up, still very mild at this point. Nothing visual yet.

9:30
This is the stage at which I would say it felt how I was expecting a beginner dose to feel. We had a bunch of stuff that we planned to watch (had the idea to put on 'Samsara' to our own music on the television) but literally couldn't get past the desktop wallpaper (had my laptop hooked up to the telly). Seeing faces in everything, very giggly - can't stop talking, colours really beginning to pop.

10:00
Visuals growing more intense, looking at pictures of flowers literally going through the seasons in front of me (blooming, dying, blooming etc). My friend who also hasn't tried it before was feeling very nauseous at this point, rolling around on the floor enjoying crazy visuals but not feeling too great (she seems to be prone to rough come-ups, throws up on the MDMA come up etc).

10:30
This where it starts to get intense... I have no way to describe this part of the trip other than kind of like an orgasm. We are all peaking hard at this point, rolling around on the sofa with music playing just relishing wave after wave of pure trippy euphoria. It's hard to explain the feeling of human contact at this point, in all honesty the 3 of us had a bit of a weird moment where any inhibitions went out the window. Nothing actually happened really, we just rolled around fully clothed touching each others shoulders and feet etc but somebody just touching my arm felt like sex - was incredible but very overwhelming, couldn't really leave the sofa. Started to lose my sense of orientation and felt like we were just melting into each other. Music really washing over in waves, everything just felt incredible. This continued until around midnight.

12:00 - Trip.
Reality has long since abandoned me at this point. Blissful euphoria replaced by complete and utter confusion. Literally, don't really know what existence is at this point - no idea which room I'm in or what a room is. Questions repeating in my head: What is time? What is existence? Where does my body end and the surroundings begin? Have some kind of survival-like urge to make sure I drink water, which seems like I'm drinking liquid diamonds or something. Crazy, crazy visuals at this point. Not worth describing in too much detail really as they felt like pure acid visuals - fractals literally everywhere, never-ending tracers, walls melting, some kind of vapour like when people test things in a wind tunnel flowing over everything, saturation in complete overdrive. At the point I was at a different point to my friends - after the peak we embarked on separate trips, the other two sailed off together and I was left behind a little bit. The experience at this point wasn't pleasant but wasn't unpleasant either, felt like sleep was the only way out but no way that was gonna happen, brain lit up like the sun. The other two were talking in another room and it sounded like they were far, far away. It was like somebody picked a 'psychedelic trip' audio preset and overlayed it onto my brain. All vocals echo and a sense of a drone-type sound going up and down in pitch.

3:00am
Still tripping, general sense of unease in my body at this point. Again, nothing I couldn't handle but was very different to the sheer bliss of around midnight in the living room. Wandering around watching the others draw with coloured pens but unable to use my brain. Male friend with acid experience perfectly happy to just talk nonsense at me while chain-smoking cigarettes and pacing a lot, I'm just lying on the floor.

3:30
Coming down a bit now, the others landed back in reality about an hour ago and I'm a bit late to the party. Sober mindset seems to be returning in waves and feel like I'm rejoining my physical body. Visuals still incredibly beautiful at this point but too emotionally drained to enjoy them. At first it was like 'OH GOD, THE COLOURS' and now it's a bit like 'Oh, the colours. Kind of wish they'd leave me now'. Even if I never took acid again, I'll remember the visuals for the rest of my life. Still feeling physically uneasy and restless, but nothing overwhelming at all.

4:30
Back in a sober headspace but visuals still in full force. Feels weird to be able to think relatively coherently with this visual filter over my eyes. Trying to discuss the experience with the others but words fail us and we can't really get out sentences, especially with each others' faces still warping around.

5:00
Try to sleep. Smoke some good weed (blue dream, usually an pleasant and potent smoke) but it doesn't even touch the sides. Decide the best thing to do is put the radio on quietly, turn off the lights and try to rest. Silence was still punctuated buy a drone type sound, small higher frequencies sound electric so put the radio on for background noise. Manage to rest my eyes a bit, appreciating the lasting closed-eye visuals but end up just lying in a mild cold sweat as my brain is still lit up.

10:00
Couple of lucid dreams, think I may have slept for about an hour at most. Visuals have finally gone and feel surprisingly normal, despite being mentally and physically exhausted. In no different place emotionally than before the trip although very aware of the adventure I just had. Now that the uneasy feeling has left I feel like day-to-day life is manageable again. 4 hours ago I was thinking I wouldn't really want to trip again, but after feeling normal once more I felt a slight sense of sadness that the journey had ended.

Closing thoughts... We definitely had a big hit of acid, much more than any of us could have ever, ever prepared for. What I thought would be a fun evening in turned out to be a true exploration of time and space. We all agree that we would have been far more apprehensive about dropping if we had known the experience would be that intense. I don't regret that it was a high dose - I feel like we definitely jumped in at the deep end a bit, albeit accidentally but I wouldn't change anything. Because the flat is a small space and had limited stimuli, I think we all went inwards in our trips after seeing what each room had to offer - more into our own brains than the surroundings. I'd love to try that kind of dose again but out in nature so there's more to explore and I can stay out of my own head a bit, and maybe with a trip sitter. I have no way of telling how much was in those tabs, maybe we got a particularly strong bit of unevenly laid blotter or something but judging by other reports of 100ug it was definitely more. Feel glad that I shared the experience with two close friends, we all played an important role in each other's trips. The only part we shared was the euphoric, sensual peak of the experience - after that everyone's heads went in completely different directions.

If I had to rate the experience I'd give it a 9/10, fucking mental. Will be leaving a couple months before contemplating another trip just because it's so exhausting. Long post I know (and I apologise for the changes in tense, still a bit frazzled) but there's my LSD experience (having never tried any form of psychedelic, just a few top quality pills and a fair bit of weed). This was mainly for my own reflection.

The main quote I'll remember from the evening came from my friend, who found the experience so intense all he could take away from it was "Don't ask any fucking questions". Haha.

Take it easy!

- Puffin

I'm thinking of taking for the first time also with a friend. Neither of us have tried before. I can get my hands on some 100ug tabs, which I will test. I get the pre trying anxiety, is it possible to take half the tab, see how I like the effects then take the other half? OR just take half the tab and leave it at that for the first try? I'm not looking for a huge trip on my first try I want to ease into it.

Cheers

Dose your LSD all at once. No point in redosing.

Thanks for reporting back, that sounds like a great first time experience with LSD.

I've found that dosing early in the day helps with the tail end, otherwise similar to your situation by 3am im thinking enough already as i'm tired and want to sleep, when really i want to appreciate every last drop rather than wanting it to end early. I usually dose at midday, 3pm latest with LSD and find by 3am i'm able to sleep.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 100mcg, most people think that 1 hit = 100mcg but on average it's more like 1 hit = 40-70mcg, 100mcg is already a pretty strong dose really. If you look at some of the youtube videos where they were giving people 100mcg doses in the 50s, they look like pretty strong experiences.

Thanks again for the nice report. :)

Hell, just lay one tab under your tongue, and if you like it, (wait 2 hours for the full onset), pop another one under there. Funny you ask, I did my first time with one hit of it 2 days ago, and it was pretty fuckin weird; I liked it.

If you're in a shit mood, it will get worse. However if you're fuckin hyped for it, and happy, things can only (really) get better, as long as you're in a safe environment (depending on how fucked you really are).

Honestly, just have a few joints or bowl packs prior to the LSD trip, and you should be aight ;).

No problem! It certainly was amazing. Starting at lunchtime was actually our original plan but one of my friends didn't finish work til late so we decided to wait, will defo drop earlier next time.

I guess you could be right re the dosage. Whatever the case, it's cracking stuff and I'm glad I've got plenty in reserve for rainy days ;) Thinking of cutting one in half soon and sharing it with a friend to see how we fare with a lower dose, keep it a bit more casual and listen to all the music I originally planned to put on! (Was too out of it to change the music for most of the evening, thankfully it was mostly reggae which kept us in good spirits).

Cheers