View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD feels like it is missing something

badrobot114

Bluelighter
I'm curious to hear if anyone else feels like that.

Of all the phens and tryptamines i've tried(MDMA included in the phens department for the sake of the discussion) LSD always felt sort of... empty to me. The experience is enjoyable, but nothing more.

There is this pervading feeling of great significance within the present moment(which is very pronounced with MDMA and shrooms for me), that preludes the moments of clarity and enlightenment a strong trip/roll can bring about. It is this feeling that I feel is missing in LSD(to me, at least). I'm left feeling as if LSD has no defined direction or character to it, and consequently am left confused as to what the ultimate purpose of the experience was.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I know this probably isn't needed at all, but have you confirmed what you're taking is truly LSD with an ehlrich's reagent test? If I were to compare the overall feelings of 25i IME to my single (actual) LSD trip, I'd say the 25i felt a lot more as you described. The LSD felt wonderful, though a little underwhelming in my case.

assuming your LSD is tested, maybe you might enjoy candy flipping, much deeper experience in my opinion than just acid

LSD is the opposite of empty to me. The pinnacle of fullness that a psychedelic can offer, only rivaled and surpassed by DMT because of it's forceful overtaking of reality itself. If it feels empty I'd wager you've done NBOMe instead.

I'd definitely describe NBOMe (25i at least) as empty confusion and massive receptor over-stimulation.

It can definitely still be insightful/mystical and enjoyable, but my most recent (and consequently final) experiences with 25i have been nothing but a heap of discomfort, both physical and mental. Far far far from what LSD was on the one occasion I actually experienced it, and far from what it's generally considered to be.

That being said, set and setting might be to blame for whatever you feel it's lacking :)

Wait til you get to higher doses. Lsd should come with the whole range of effects there. I think I've seen this somewhere here, but someone said that lsd is the king of psychedelics.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I've had a lot of fun, the most bad trips off of it too, and plenty of wtf and lmao from it.

Try all ranges, and you'll see how much the trips can vary from one to another.

Take a high dose, and maybe smoke some pot on it. Have you taken mushrooms at all? Some people that aren't into LSD find they love mushrooms, or some people find them to have aspects that LSD lacks for them.

I know that personally, I have enjoyed LSD, but never found it quite so profound as naturally occurring compounds. One thing that I love about LSD is the lack of side effects, but on the other side of that coin, entheogens (and their side effects,) bring a more spiritualistic/ritualistic vibe to the whole ordeal.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't mind vomiting from high dose LSA, discomfort from high dose mushrooms, or the absolute clusterf--k that is high dose (urine recycling) amanita muscaria, because it carries a level of profundity that LSD never really gave me.

LSD is a very clean trip though, and thus much more accessible to the average user. Different strokes, ya know?

Thanks for the replies guys. The LSD I take is always tested, and i tried doses ranging from 150 to 400ug. I have also tried candyflipping which was truly out of this world(but unsurprisingly lackluster compared to other MDMA+psych combos I tried with mushrooms and 2CB). I have also a lot of experience with mushrooms for that matter at doses of 2.5-6 grams. Other psychs I've tried and can compare it to are DMT, Mescaline, 2CB and DOM.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fun substance and an incredible experience. Nevertheless I feel it lacks a certain character and distinctness compared to other psychedelics. Again I use mushrooms and MDMA as points of reference here because they are extremely popular and it's that tangible yet undeniable sense of incredible purpose and spiritual drive felt at their peak that i'm talking about.

Last edited:
The emptiness you describe is something I feel on pretty much all synthetic psychedelics; and not the natural ones. People get flack here for having that opinion (Natural is better, maaaan), but it's just been my experience. The natural ones seem to have a direction, guidance, if you will. A feeling of intelligent presence.

To get really high and have a good time? Does there have to be a deeper purpose than that?

I totally agree that psychedelics can be fun, but some people are looking for god, ya know? Trying to access the akashic records, heal psychic wounds, even prove the world wrong in a sense. It's a trap that too many people fall into, but consciousness expansion is still just as valid a reason to get high as any other.

I dunno, I like my psychedelic trips to be mostly recreational with a side of consciousness expansion/introspection, and not the other way around. But to each their own I guess.

Cuz at the end of the day all you did was consume a drug that altered your brain activity, it's not the key to the mysteries of the universe or whatever.

For me it's the opposite, just about all non-empathogenic phens I've taken (especially DOC) sans 2c-e always felt cold and empty whereas LSD was always warm and fulfilling. As far as tryptamines go I'd say LSD is about on par with something like 4-aco-dmt as far as depth goes until you start to reach very high doses, of course this is just my experience. Mushrooms are definitely more deep IMO though.

I'd like to know how you know the exact doses of LSD your taking though. Most places that run testing don't list the amount to the mcg and I sure as hell wouldn't believe it if a dealer told me there's X amount of mics per tab. The majority of people who list their LSD doses are in reality taking a lot less than they think they are. Not that I'm convinced this is a dose issue though.

Last edited:
Try splitting your LSD dose into two and take them 20 mins apart. This turns LSD into a completely different drug - more a form of mutant super-ecstasy.

You are confusing yourself with your own thinking:

I'm left feeling as if LSD has no defined direction or character to it, and consequently am left confused as to what the ultimate purpose of the experience was.
What does this even mean? LSD is a drug dude... its 'purpose' is to mess with your brain chemistry and alter your conciousness in very drastic ways.

LSD does actually feel much different to other classic psychedelics. This is because it works as a dopamine agonist as well as a serotonin agonist - it's quite unique that way. It triggers full-blown mania in me most times I take it, so I would definitely agree with you about it being confusing. It certainly isn't lacking in anything though - it sounds to me like you just don't enjoy it.

I totally agree that psychedelics can be fun, but some people are looking for god, ya know? Trying to access the akashic records, heal psychic wounds, even prove the world wrong in a sense. It's a trap that too many people fall into, but consciousness expansion is still just as valid a reason to get high as any other.

Indeed. That's why I got into them as a teenager, and young adult. But I had been meditating and doing yoga since I was 13 or 14 before I got into them, and I had always had a curiosity about Psilocybin mushrooms ever since I read about Ancient Meso-American people using them both in history books, and in a Dr. Who novel where they travel back in time then and a hippie in Shepherds' Bush London UK in the 60s talks about taking mushrooms and experiencing God. That novel was called "The Left handed hummingbird" by Kate Orman.

I can't empathize at all with you on this man. To me LSD is humanity's one true connection to God... God created man, man created LSD, LSD created God... it's a viscous circle ahahah. I've never had a more spiritually fulfilling or awe inspiring trip than I have on LSD. Mushies sure get me somewhere, but they seem too self-loathing in many ways, until you finally become the carpet and are no longer experiencing human emotions but instead are just a blissful carpet, laying there, content being a carpet hahah. But LSD? It connects me to the universe, it allows me to literally comprehend the infinite. Have you not experienced the infinite on LSD? I have to wonder what's wrong with your acid if you're not finding God on it.

All I have to say to this is the same everyone else has said: Real LSD tends to produce extremely grandiose psychedelic effects, the significance of each moment is so apparent on LSD, way more IME than even mushrooms or mescaline. Only competitor really is ayahuasca. I have tried strong doses of pharmahuasca and very high doses of LSD, and I can honestly say that my pharmahuasca experiences were not as earth shattering as my LSD experiences have been. Try testing your LSD with a testing kit, or try the ol' blacklight test.

LSD changed my life.. I was a shy introvert and I had an experience where I felt a deep connection to the universe and everything within.. I felt a power that stayed with me.. I saw my place in the world and I finally felt comfortable with who I was and where I was.. I was where I was supposed to be.. Before I always wanted to be somebody else or somewhere else.. I opened up and found out that I was very personable... everyone liked me... I was funny and had a lot to offer.. I'm not saying it was a religious experience but it was pretty close.. It was if I saw the answers to life and as vague as they were the real message was to just live life without the fear of what other people thought.. I honestly wish that I had stopped with LSD because with MDMA I wound up getting burnt in the end. This was the 90's and there wasn't much of a harm reduction message in my area..