Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides LSD expiration

hrwhj

Greenlighter
Hello,

A dear friend has given me few sugar cubes as a gift which had LSD dropped on them (sorry if that is not correct description/terminology but I hope its understandable!).
I used to take LSD quite often but it was years ago and I don't feel like taking any at least for a year.
I do however intend on taking it at some point and I would like it to these cubes - what I am afraid is that it may expire / evaporate in time.
If kept dry and cool, is it possible it will not evaporate in a year or so? I understand that this is not possible to answer exactly!

Many thanks

LSD won't evaporate but it can break down. You should keep it in a sealed container away from heat and moisture. Many people store their lysergamides in the freezer in a sealed container

It can remain pretty stable if you store it properly. As long as you keep it somewhere cool, dry and dark it can last years. I've found tabs I had forgotten I had that were 10+ years old that hit just as hard as when I first got them.

I have read that ultraviolet light and air (oxygen?) both degrade LSD and that keeping it in a small, airtight container in a dark place is the best.

Heat is new to me but I'm no pro.

LSD converts to isoLSD at a rate determined by temperature. Every change of 10°C either doubles or half's the rate of change. Storing LSD in a freezer is 40°C colder than room temperature, so the rate of isomerism is 0.5x0.5x0.5x0.5 (0.0625 or 1/16th) that at room temperature. So, if it lasts 2 years at room temp, it'll last 32 years in the freezer.
Just make sure it's also protected from light as well.

I got a vacuum sealer just for my stash. In a container with silica packets and surrounded by sealed bag and in the fridge. I don't ever plan on buying lysergamides again. I know some people vacu seal right onto the blotters but you shouldnt, if you leave it like that when you take it out you can see the imprint of the blotters on the bag, and i bet if you licked the bag you'd get high.

I have LSD that I have stored at room temperature (72-78F) for decades and it is still very active.

Do you feel the effects profile has changed at all despite remaining of similar potency? Like DMT, doesn’t really get weaker but definitely changes in how it feels as it ages. Wondering if LSD does something similar..

-GC

LSD converts to isoLSD at a rate determined by temperature. Every change of 10°C either doubles or half's the rate of change. Storing LSD in a freezer is 40°C colder than room temperature, so the rate of isomerism is 0.5x0.5x0.5x0.5 (0.0625 or 1/16th) that at room temperature. So, if it lasts 2 years at room temp, it'll last 32 years in the freezer.
Just make sure it's also protected from light as well.
blotter lasts more than 2 decades between the pages of a book with no wrapping on a shelf at room temperature.
how does your formula explain that?

I usually keep mine in a locked drawer these days for harm reduction to others.

keep blotter vacuum sealed and just in a cool dark place

that's how you make it last forever - fuck the freezer

i think the gel tabs last longer than blotter too but im not sure i can talk from extensive experience on that - ive had gel tabs sit around un-vacuum sealed for a couple years and didn't notice any loss in potency where if i did that with blotters, i would lose some

i think the gel tabs last longer than blotter too but im not sure i can talk from extensive experience on that - ive had gel tabs sit around un-vacuum sealed for a couple years and didn't notice any loss in potency where if i did that with blotters, i would lose some
In my experience gels and tablets can last decades as well. I don't vacuum seal any of my stash. I'm not particularly against vacuum sealing, just relatively lazy.

blotter lasts more than 2 decades between the pages of a book with no wrapping on a shelf at room temperature.
how does your formula explain that?

I usually keep mine in a locked drawer these days for harm reduction to others.
2 years was just given as an example of a time period which could be given to demonstrate the extra longevity at low temp. Obviously lysergamides last longer at room temp (I have some that are 5 years old and still are active). That chemical reactions (like conversion to a more stable isomer) half for each 10°C drop in temperature is a fact of physical chemistry. The magic word was 'if' (picked to illustrate increases in lifetime with simple maths). I don't know the half life of LSD at room temp, kept in darkness, without exposure to oxygen. On the other hand, I'm certain about the relationship of half life and temperature...

Because at a microscopic view, the pages of a book are fibrous and wick dry, compared to slick smooth adherent and moisture preserving surfaces provided by plastic bags or wraps, a paper enclosure contacting an LSD blotter will protect the blotter better than a plastic or foil wrapper which can scrape off LSD molecules by having more surface contact than the fibrous paper surfaces.

Ergo, storing blotter naked between the pages of a book in a locked drawer will give the restricted air flow, relatively continuous temperature, and reduced surface contact (preventing moisture and loss due to adherence and abrasion). It will prevent unwanted discovery and interference by guests (who can open a freezer and poke around), it is not subject to power failures, or to cycles of freezing and thawing, or cycles of condensation and humidity.

Also, providing you have a locked drawer, in a book is much easier. Just remember which pages are used for storage.

@Snafu in the Void
that's funny, most likely he inhaled dust with acid in it than solvent permeated skin with it but maybe with a cut finger, some contact could make a dose happen.
I would have been very careful with such a treasure.
scrape the mess into a jar, assay, preserve and enjoy. - love that kind of synthesizer, and that one had some wonderful resonant modules with peak and probably reverb.