• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD does it turn you into an ego maniac ?

B9

Bluelight Crew
Personally it did that for me (not that I needed much assistance mind you) when I was young , yes many years ago :) Anyway I hear a lot of talk about ego loss etcetera but it seems to me that ego boosting is very much alive and well in conjunction with LSD !

DISCUSS

Total opposite for me.

LSD and shrooms make me totally selfless, ready to give away my car etc.

Do you mean while on lsd, or do you mean lsd affecting your every day life?

While I am on acid I tend to get a nice ego-boost. I don't know why, it's not that I think that I'm better than other people, but other people tend to annoy me with bullshit conversations and things I really don't care about while tripping, so I tend to act a bit 'snobbish' if that's what you can call it.

Afterwards some people seem to behave like they have this secret knowledge and that from their exaulted position believe they should direct the poors saps how to live their lives. Leary is a good example of acid egomania.

Not everyone comes from a psychedelic experience humbled as to their position in creation. Even those that do are still prone to the odd bout of egomania (shamefully holds up hand...)

I agree.... i think many people really exacerbate their ego, by being under the impression that LSD's ego-diminishing properties, coupled with their ability to handle it and be 'turned on', actually inspires arrogance, as opposed to confidence and detachment. Plus being an acidhead is cool- akin to being a jedi on this planet. Plus being part of a so-called subculture seems to increase secularity and cultism, as opposed to a worldwide brother/sister-hood

Think about Keseys acid tests- what were they but competetitions to see who could 'handle' the most LSD, or whose ego was stronger. "The chap who freaks out just couldn't handle the acid test". I have been so proud that on upwards of 500mcgs, i could survive, thrive andattain deep fruitful insight. Yes, i spent/spend a lot of time describing these trips with pride, and sortofpity for those who "failed the test" or were to afraid/settled enough not to imbibe.

Adter smoking salvia i learned that reality, the self, ego, soul- all can be transformed, revealed, trampled apart with the insignificance they have. That humbled me.

LSD requires no physical 'strength' to handle as opposed to ayahuasca, San Pedro brew/mescaline, LSA, tropanes- these ordeal can be physically unbearable, and demands you acknowledge their power and your inherent ant-ness, come to terms with it, be humbled and then triumph.

The repeatbility and ease of ingesting a few mg of acid may have lead to a blase` attitude towards it, with effectys diminidshinh, becoming commonplace and thus perceived as being owned.

Don't ever believe for a moment while on LSD that you are in control- the LSD OWNS you. No 2 ways. I've tripped at least 80-100 times on LSD and only in the last few, have i begun freaking- this shit is powerful, the most potent hallucinogen ever unlocked from a fungus. LSD is more powerful then anything of the mind, but because its inherent nature is of the mind, and thus can be manipulated/worked with, it can seem as if the mind controls acid.

Acidcontrolmind.

^ Very good post Willow enjoyed reading it and I agree with you !

^^^
very good post indeed.
i'm really looking forward to trying LSD.

it will be interesting to approach it from the opposite direction as you, having experienced the power of salvia before any LSD experiences.

there's something about salvia that makes you feel utterly powerless. i think it's how it makes you forget the point of your own existence, not to mention the fact that you are even a you.

Does it count as being an ego maniac if I find that my temper tends to flare quite easily, in response to something like somebody walking off without telling me where they're going?

I try not to let that happen! Over the years I've become much more aware that it can be deceptively easy for a tripper to become snobby and elitist than I was when I was younger. Also, my experience with deep psychedelic states does not really include LSD, as I've not yet gotten very far with it. Rather, my most significant psychedelic experiences have been with 4-HO-DMT, 4-AcO-DMT, 2C-E, and ketamine, all of which I feel have helped me to quiet my ego down tremendously.

The place I get stuck in sometimes is that I can feel so enlightened and intelligent that I'll assume I'm moreso than someone else in my interactions with them. However, I do try my hardest to not externalize that, and to realize that it may not be true.

I don't know, it can be difficult to judge whether or not your own ego is inappropriately boosted.

All the times I have done acid I've been with my friends who were also on acid bar one time.
When I'm with friends who are also on acid I guess none of us realise our ego boost as we all have the same.
However I was once out for a sesh in some woods and a few other mates came out with us on MDMA.. they didn't seem to appreciate being out in the woods and thought it was boring, kept complaining and wanted to go back.. all the while seeing me and my friend as the leaders just because we were on acid.
We said fine go back if you want, we don't care this is good and we kept talking to eachother and pitying the others on mdma and they still wanted to stay with us so it gives a clear role in a group aswell.

I'm surprised at the lack of uptake for such a group of self aware people !!

Well done to those who have responded!

Depending on the state of the ego pre-trip, it can boost it or break it down. For me, the first half of the trip my ego is reduced substantially, but for the second half, I become a delusional egomaniac. I don't use LSD any more for this reason.

I don't find that i become an ego manic on psychs, quite the opposite, i seem to have the equivalent of 'glass jaw' on them. I know this is true for a lot of others too. However i do know a lot of people who are the opposite! I think it just depends on your confidence, however all people no matter how strong willed can be shaken to the core on a bad trip.

I think sometimes its good to be taught a lesson by these compounds and it can keep you grounded for sure.

Look at someone like 'murple' and his elitism, it really gets on my goat!! :\

haha ya know i had this discussion with a psychologist friend of mine. the more one becomes "enlightened" or has ones ego destroyed, the greater potential one has to centricate all the experiences around themselves. jsut the fact that few, if any people in our society know what ego dissolution or powerful trips are like tend to put one on the outside (who has experienced them). just being on the outside of the norms of society creates the potential to become an ego maniac.

On a bad acid trip once I literally thought the entire city of Melbourne would have to shut down so that an amubalance could come to take me to a mental institution. That's around 3.5 million people who would need to return to their homes to make sure the road was clear so the ambulance wouldn't have any troubles getting to the music festival I was at.

And as I was leaving the music festival I thought they were closing it down because I was leaving.

mexican seafood said:
^^^
very good post indeed.
i'm really looking forward to trying LSD.

it will be interesting to approach it from the opposite direction as you, having experienced the power of salvia before any LSD experiences.

there's something about salvia that makes you feel utterly powerless. i think it's how it makes you forget the point of your own existence, not to mention the fact that you are even a you.

Well i took LSD years b4 smoking salvia, for whar thats worth