View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD - Difficulty Swallowing

hoffmansghost

Greenlighter
Every time I take LSD it causes excessive mucus production in combination with muscle tension of the throat which causes me to literally be incapable of swallowing as the muscles that operate the esophagus tense so much they fail to operate properly.

This is a consistent occurrence that has started to become not only a real nuisance but a potential life threatening liability.

I must always have plenty of water on hand and even in some cases I even have difficulty swallowing the water when the tension and mucus build up is real bad. I have to completely avoid all breaded foods like pizza.

I've thought about taking Mucinex prior and some sort of over the counter muscle relaxer but not sure what is best for relaxing the throat.

Does anyone else have this problem and have a good solution for combating this? It's really been hindering my journeys as it causes great discomfort.

PS. its definitely not a quality issue

This is a consistent occurrence that has started to become not only a real nuisance but a potential life threatening liability.

If that is a real things happening (and not just a mind thing, cause mind things happen on LSD), I would cease taking LSD

try a decongestant, but first try it at a much lower dose. also if you end up feeling like you're in danger, can't you just go bottoms-up and dribble out all your saliva :D

I've had the same thing happen off and on over the years, but I don't think LSD was in the mix. I know that the anxiety caused by trying,but not being able to swallow made things even worse. The more I tried to swallow the more I couldn't. I had to quit "trying" to swallow and let my body take over...easier said than done though. For me it's "panic mode" stuff, but I haven't noticed a common trigger.
I will pay more attention in the future.
Sorry, I know this post doesn't help much, but maybe a small dose of a benzo would? Not enough to kill the trip, but enough to quell the anxiety. My swallowing issues are possibly anxiety based. Maybe yours too?

I had this happen a few times, but not to the extent I thought I was in danger. If it ever happens I try to drink a lot of orange juice or Gatorade, something that soothes my throat.

Man I have no idea but my best guess would be to take a shot of apple cider vinegar to clear it out, gargle if you can - I know it can be nasty, but tripping somehow it becomes much more tolerable for me at least - and then for soothing make an herbal tea and add lemon and honey.

Could it be that I've read somewhere that not being able to swallow or having difficulty achieving could be a side effect of benzodiazepine use? I can't quite remember and am thus not sure of this. But I've experienced this phenomena myself. Also when sober. Not sure if it is related to, and if so, what kind of drug use.

My guess would be some immunological effect or anxiety giving you a lump in the throat, not sure if muscle relaxation is the way to go, it doesn't sound like you want to suppress your gag reflex.

I'm not saying he should take benzo's to avert it. I'm saying I think, although I am not sure, I've read somewhere benzodiazepines could be the cause of the symptom. A google search gives me multiple sources that list this as a benzo (withdrawal) related side-effect.

I literally don't use any other drugs (not even weed), chemicals, prescriptions, over-the-counter medicine or otherwise. I literally only take LSD (0-3x a month) and never experienced these issues when sober.

The area that is most effect is the submandibular area around the lymph nodes. Every time I take a dose that area tenses up really bad.

In combination with the mucus that build up in my throat it makes a really bad combination. The ability to swallow usually becomes much easier when the tension eases up but I there is little I can do to control that.

Next time I'm going to start with some sort of decongestant and see if that alone improves anything.

I'm sure there is a remedy that should help alleviate the symptoms and if I stumble across that works for me I'll share it.

Also, there is no shame in halting your LSD intake for a month or more to make sure it is what is causing the symptom instead of these instances happening in sync by chance.

Is everything consistent with it just being 'globus sensation' albeit perhaps a bit extreme?
Remember that this can still really feel to you as difficulty swallowing! But just check everything about it as it would make perfect sense considering it's more of a psychosomatic phenomenon, while any physical illness that would cause it but only on LSD would seem unreasonable.

Maybe a decongestant (I'd opt for a mucus thinner like bromohexine I guess, not something that causes bronchodilation or something else) would reduce the mucus that builds up but it might be building up in the first place because of the tension in the throat.

While I don't believe in all too esoteric stuff, I think some of things like body energy or chakras can still potentially be useful as a holistic approach that doesn't necessarily require very strange assumptions. Not sure what are techniques to 'open' your throat chakra (relaxation techniques? look it up), but perhaps such techniques help with the underlying psychosomatic condition and were just discovered to work, however they work.

Last edited:
The throat chakra relates to expression and showing oneself to the world. Thus to "open" it up - it's always open, just to what degree - or balance it requires either more fully expressing your truth and who you are to the world, whether that be in conversations with others, writing, playing music, etc. or if it's overactive looking at how one may be overbearing, pushy, etc.

In general ;)

How do you "...express your truth and who you are to the world?" I don't quite follow..

Speak what you know to be true regardless of possible consternation, alienation, and judgment from others. Act in accordance with what you know to be true, ala not eating meat once aware of the damage meat production is wreaking on the planet - as well as our bodies, as well as the inhuman treatment of these animals, or ceasing to drink soda once aware of how unhealthy it is, etc etc. Basically your actions and words being in alignment with your beliefs, knowledge, and thoughts; your truth.

On the come up, I have always had the nasty sensation of over-salivation, having to spit like a mofo, and generally having issues with the foul sensations in your throat and your mouth that ultimately go away. However, if your are inclined to have psychosomatic symptoms related to the increased arousal and/or anxiety on the LSD come up, I can see where some may get hung up on this phase. I consider the difficulty swallowing and over-salivation part of the come up, and again, it too passes...unless we become fixated on it and hyper-aware of it, hence making it difficult to "let go". Just my two penny's worth...

Speak what you know to be true regardless of possible consternation, alienation, and judgment from others. Act in accordance with what you know to be true, ala not eating meat once aware of the damage meat production is wreaking on the planet - as well as our bodies, as well as the inhuman treatment of these animals, or ceasing to drink soda once aware of how unhealthy it is, etc etc. Basically your actions and words being in alignment with your beliefs, knowledge, and thoughts; your truth.

That's why rappers spit it: so they can avoid swallowing.