• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

LSD death would be state first, officials say

my3rdeye

Bluelighter
Something is going on i have seen a few people to convulse and die on acid in the last year. This is the first lab bust i have seen in a long time

http://wvgazette.com/News/201303090102

March 9, 2013
LSD death would be state first, officials say
Husband, chemist in jail for murder
A Roane County woman who died after taking two doses of LSD could be the first reported acid-related fatality in the state and one of the few documented globally.
By Travis Crum
The Charleston Gazette
Advertiser
CHARLESTON, W.Va.-- A Roane County woman who died after taking two doses of LSD could be the first reported acid-related fatality in the state and one of the few documented globally.

Prosecutors are still awaiting toxicology results to make that distinction.

An autopsy hasn't been completed on Renee Honaker, 30, of Left Hand, who died last week. Lab results for the acid strips she allegedly took aren't back yet either, Roane County Prosecuting Attorney Josh Downey said on Saturday.

Police charged Renee's husband, Todd Anthony Honaker, 34, with first-degree murder after the couple apparently each took two hits of LSD on March 1. Renee later fell to the floor, began convulsing and died.

Police also charged Chad M. Renzelman, 32, of Kennewick, Wash., the chemist they said manufactured the drug, with first-degree murder. He is being held in jail awaiting extradition to West Virginia.

Downey said although he hasn't seen the lab results, he believes there's enough probable cause to show that Renee died after ingesting the drug.

"If the stuff comes back differently we have to analyze the case," he said. "But based on what Todd Honaker told us, it was the acid."

His office received a limited statement from Renzelman in Washington, he said. State Police would travel to extradite Renzelman no later than March 14.

Downey said his initial research into LSD-related fatalities hasn't returned very many reported cases. There are few documented around the world and those rarely have resulted in criminal prosecution.

His inquiry into the case has focused more on LSD's destructive and possibly fatal side affects.

"My understanding is that it speeds up your heart and gives you anxiety," he said.

Dr. Elizabeth Sharman, head of the West Virginia Poison Center, hadn't researched the case but said it's the first fatality she's heard of in the state.

"What we stress is that there is no safe way to get high," Sharman said. "This drug is changing the neurochemical behavior of your brain. It's not suspiring at all that these drugs can cause death."

Her office rarely receives emergency calls related to LSD, but said overdose can still happen.

LSD affects serotonin receptors in the brain and can cause serious long-term side effects. It's manufactured in amateur laboratories around the country and Federal Drug Enforcement Agency officials have warned that LSD manufacturers vary in their experience and with the chemicals they use.

Renzelman, a chemist at a nuclear power plant in Washington, apparently manufactured hundreds of doses of LSD from his home, Downey said. Authorities allegedly found a collection of research chemicals used in LSD production and an apparent working lab.

Downey said Renzelman sold eight doses of LSD to Todd Honaker and mailed it to him in an anniversary greeting card late last month. Inside the card, Renzelman included instructions on how to ingest the LSD and prices to buy more.

"He included a letter also asking if [Honaker] wanted a larger quantity and he would get it for him for a reduced price," Downey said. "He said he would sell 100 hits for $300."

We've had a couple of these in Australia (I think a few anyway) where they report it as an LSD death and then go onto say things like -

Lab results for the acid strips she allegedly took aren't back yet either, Roane County Prosecuting Attorney Josh Downey said on Saturday.

NBOMe deaths have been happening for about a year now, it's a shame some folks still haven't caught on.

I have to wonder the same thing. Acid would SURELY have caused at least a couple fatalities even before the 60's had ended if it were that dangerous..? I'm guessing a huge OD or a synthesis foul up.

If these acid fatalities, & I'm pretty sure this is the first one that I've ever heard of, are all since the emergence of NBOMe's then it's reasonable to presume that they're responsble for them.

Police charged Renee's husband, Todd Anthony Honaker, 34, with first-degree murder after the couple apparently each took two hits of LSD on March 1.
WTF? They dropped acid together, so he is responsible? That is so twisted that I want to retch.

"What we stress is that there is no safe way to get high," Sharman said. "This drug is changing the neurochemical behavior of your brain. It's not suspiring at all that these drugs can cause death."
This gets the award for most profoundly ignorant quote in the article.

^ I'm pretty sure all drugs change your neurochemical behavior, this guy has no idea what words came out of his face hole.

This is bullshit. It annoys me how people in higher positions of responsibility and authority are clueless about things like this compared to some teenagers I know. The fact that they don't even know if it's even LSD is just ridiculous, especially with all the RCs posing as acid recently. I'm surprised you could get prosecuted for murder from this, I don't think I've heard of it happening before (at least in the UK, so it may be a law in other countries?).

Authorities allegedly found a collection of research chemicals used in LSD production and an apparent working lab.

I mean, if they found LSD precursors, there's little chance it's an NBOMe or a DOX or whatever. But maybe they're talking about reagents or solvents.

I take back a bit of what I said (in this case), just noticed there was a second page to that news article. :p Still maintain the bit about murder and in a lot of cases I've seen the authorities have been clueless.

The way the media act when it comes to LSD, you would think millions have died from it. While another couple of million now live in mental asylums, and think they have spiders crawling over them.

I have to wonder the same thing. Acid would SURELY have caused at least a couple fatalities even before the 60's had ended if it were that dangerous..?

Yeah, exactly, imagine how many people back then had acid? Even at all the raves i went to we ate heaps of acid, sometimes 2 at once, and so did hundreds or more people i met, and that's such a small % of people on this earth, there's probably been people doing the same all over the place for generations, and i never saw anyone get harmed off lsd, it's current days that NBOMe and other RC's seem to be getting flogged as acid that people are coming into more harm it seems (to me anyway).

A chemist at a nuclear power plant is laying nbomes or reselling already laid nbomes as acid??? To make 300 a sheet? Thats the behaviour of a desperate rave kid not an adult, who is a chemist no less.
I am sure the police have an elrich test.
I am more inclined to believe the scarier possibilty that people making acid now are following the new recipe and doing it wrong. One thing is for sure wrong in the article. No one makes a few hundred hits. Be nice to know what these hits look like so people can know and make a decision.

I really dislike how state coroners and forensics are always attached to police departments, in location and in funding. It makes me very wary of corruption in the results, which can then be skewed to support crackdowns. They should be independent and unbiased.

They shouldn't be calling it an LSD related death until the toxicology report is completed. That would be like declaring a death a murder before the evidence for it is concluded.

Tl;dr: toxicology results not in, and though overdosing on acid is basically impossible, 2 hits nonetheless, it was definitely acid that killed this person.

Police fail (redundant, I know)

I mean Christ sakes this acid has been popular for like 50 years and the cops are still convinced its that easy to overdose and die from it? Actual recorded LsD overdoses.... Isn't it like a controversial 1? And wasn't that IV?

No way this is LSD... what cops call "manufacturing" can easily mean some dude laying blotters of nBOME or anything else. Laying chemicals on blotter = manufacturing.

There's no "new LSD" recipe that is deadly. It's either LSD or something else.

I can't believe he's being charged just for taking the "acid" with her! This is why people get dumped at the ER and left or worse, dumped where no one can find them.

Just making LSD in West Virginia. Lol.

CIA mind control bullshit. If you ask me.

I never followed the update and decided to check on the autopsy, glad it wasn't bad batch of acid, but wtf kind of friend sends someone nbome and tells them it's acid?? 2 hits of nbome may have killed her it may have been an interaction with the 20 different meds she was on or maybe they were laid too strong. Anyway another nbome death, and a lesson to anyone who would think of selling these as acid, the law calls that murder.

AUTOPSY SAYS ROANE WOMAN DIED FROM LITTLE KNOWN HALLUCINOGEN - Husband, Friend, Charged With Murder

(07/29/2013)

An alleged death by the ingestion of LSD by a Roane County woman in March proved to be negative following an autopsy report, but the report says Renee Honaker, 29, of Left Hand, died of controlled substance identified as NBOMe.
Honaker's husband, Todd Honaker, 34, and a man identified as a friend, Chad Renzelman, 23, of Kennewick, Washington, have been charged with the woman's murder and delivery of a controlled substance.

Spencer Newspapers reported a hearing before Roane Co. magistrate, Dr. Allen Mock of the state medical examiner's office, who said this was the first time he had seen the drug in West Virginia.

Sgt. Bo Williams of the Roane County Sheriffs department testified in the hearing that Mrs. Honaker had 20 different medications prescribed to her by doctors, Spencer Newspapers said.

"In my opinion, the hallucinogen was the primary cause of death," Dr. Mock testified.

NBOMe was a drug that surfaced about 10 years ago in Germany, a synthetic form of LSD.

Magistrate Jason Bennett found probable cause and sent the case against the men to circuit court for possible indictment by a grand jury.

Both men are being held in Central Regional Jail.

See Prosecutors Await Autopsy In LSD Death By Travis Crum for the Charleston Gazette

See also UPDATE: ROANE MAN CHARGED WITH MURDERING WIFE - Second Suspect Now Charged In 'Acid Overdose,' Extradited From Washington State

WASHINGTON STATE MAN JAILED IN ROANE LSD MURDER CASE

http://www.hurherald.com/cgi-bin/db_scripts/articles?Action=user_view&db=hurheral_articles&id=52510

Last edited: