View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD concerns

Sleepyheads

Greenlighter
Hello, I'm a 20 year old male, starting smoking bud when I was about 16 and have everyday heavily since about 18. I tried LSD when I was about 19 and have tripped 40-50 times with an average of 2-3 doses. It was good stuff, 100 mic each. Up until about 6 or 7 months ago everything was fine, I loved the trips for the inner discovery and the pure beauty and amazement. One night I tripped with a buddy who I have gotten spun with before multiple times. This time I went pretty deep and ate about 5 or 6 hits. Everything was great as usual and at the time I had some awesome nuggets so we decided to smoke a couple bowls. We were listening to music and my friend was talking to me and all of a sudden I got an overwhelming negative feeling which eventually lead to a panic attack and I threw up. As soon as I threw up I felt instantly better and we went back to tripping and even smoked more all night. I didn't seem to notice anything until about a month later, I even tripped two weeks after this. I didn't think of it as a bad trip I was just confused and figured I got too high. About two weeks after my very last trip I started to notice a difference in myself, I was starting to have bad anxiety and I had a couple panic attacks from smoking which was scary. I was completely lost and in shambles for about 3 months and since things have gradually gotten better even though I still smoke heavily everyday. I have even moved up at work and got my own apartment. Still to this day though I deal with daily anxiety and depression. The weed seems to make it worse but i haven't come to quitting terms yet even though I should. Even hanging out with my closest friends I feel pointless anxiety sometimes and have weird thoughts. I think everyday about my anxiety and it's really starting to affect my mental health. I often just feel confused and disconnected. I guess my main question is could I still be negatively affected by the traumatizing trip or have I done some sort of damage? Also could it just be the weed and I iust need a break to get my psych back to normal? It's been a rough patch since that trip and I have tried to see it as a positive and keep bettering myself but I still feel down and I am fed up with the anxiety. I didn't even know what it was until this happened and i did a little research.

When drugs are causing problems, more drugs are not the answer. You need to take a break from all drugs, especially weed.

I figured this but I just don't understand how I've never gotten anxiety from smoking and now all of a sudden it happens mostly every time. I'm going to stop everything including drinking even though I rarely ever do and start exercising again. Im just concerned for myself, I thought I would be feeling back to myself by now..

Many types of mental abnormalities begin to arise at this age, not saying that you have one, just to be aware.
Also you have a plan of self improvement...focus on this, and helping your fellow man.
A good strategy for me when I get anxious is to think of why I am feeling this way. You seem to feel like perhaps substances may have had a role. Meditation is very helpful for me in seeing what issues my subconscious may be hiding, and giving me problems in everyday life. The world is a cold and scary place sometimes, with or without drugs

Last edited:
I only tripped a few times between when I started smoking at 17. By 19 I was smoking everyday. At 20 I tripped the first time. Before I was 21, I started to freak every time I smoked (thinking my mother was just outside wherever I was, yelling at me as loud as humanly possible), completely spontaneously and without warning. I took about three years off, even passing up at parties where I knew everyone and they were cool, knew I used to smoke but not why I stopped. After a move to a new city, weed found me again and I've never had any issues since and I'm now 29. Sometimes a break until it comes 'round again is all that's needed.

I figured this but I just don't understand how I've never gotten anxiety from smoking and now all of a sudden it happens mostly every time. I'm going to stop everything including drinking even though I rarely ever do and start exercising again. Im just concerned for myself, I thought I would be feeling back to myself by now..

It can happen after a powerful trip, weed can bring back some feelings from the trip & prolong it, it'll change the effect of weed for a while. Just take a break from weed for a bit, or at least cut down drastically, give yourself a chance to recover. If you smoke a few grams a day then do a quick taper off it so you don't feel sick & get insomnia from withdrawal. Weed seems to make most psychedelic effects more intense.

What you describe sounds a lot like my experience of cannabis psychosis. It seems to be quite common in people around your age (teens/early twenties) and isn't necessarily related to how much/often you smoke. In my case I had been stoned pretty much 24/7 for at least two years leading up to my psychosis, so that wasn't all too surprising (well, it was at the time but not in retrospect), but it's happened to other people I know who only smoked on weekends.

If you are suffering from cannabis psychosis as I suspect, the good news is that it's like 99% reversible; the bad news is that it can take a fair while to get over it (it took a good six months for me to feel pretty much "normal" again, then another 6 months before I was confident enough in my sanity to try weed again). Luckily, you don't sound as messed up as I was, so maybe just a month or so without smoking, or even just cutting down could sort you out. Honestly though, I think that "bad" trip may have been a blessing in disguise, I didn't realize just how psychotic I was until it was already a pretty serious problem, whereas your acid trip seems to have brought the issue to light earlier on, before its had a chance to escalate too much.

I'm not sure where you get psychosis from when he only mentions anxiety & depression. No need to scare anxious people even more, it doesn't sound that bad at all to me. He still needs to give weed a break for a little while before it gets worse, it sounds like weed is contributing to it. Possible he could get to full blown psychosis if he continues smoking large amounts of weed constantly, but he seems quite far away from it now & it can be reversed before it really starts. Just got to realise that weed is making the anxiety worse rather than better.

As long as it is just anxiety then a little light drinking might not hurt, just a couple of drinks can calm the anxiety from weed, a bit of confidence juice can sometimes help. I don't like suggesting worse drugs & alcohol can make depression worse, especially if you get drunk, but a couple of small drinks could take the anxious edge off it, or a light benzo - just remember they'll do more damage than weed in the long term, they're some of the most addictive drugs with the worst withdrawals around & higher amounts will be counter-productive. Whatever you do, don't get addicted to those drugs or it'll make it worse, you can't drink heavily or take benzos every day without consequences, like you can with weed. Sometimes different drugs can help if you're careful, it's an imbalance of chemicals in your brain, they will naturally rebalance after a while if you give yourself a break from weed, or if you take something to calm the anxiety it could speed up the process - just you could cause different problems if you're not careful.

Just remember it's an effect of the drugs you've taken (particularly cannabis), you haven't caused any lasting damage & you'll make a full recovery if you stop taking those drugs for a while. That should help to calm your anxiety, if you can realise it's just a mind trick played by the drugs. You're not insane, you just need to give weed a rest & you should fully recover quite quickly.

In future be careful mixing high dose psychedelics with weed, you don't need weed if you've had ~500ug lsd, it intensifies everything, adds an anxious edge & causes a lot of trip trainwrecks.

Last edited:
^^ He also mentions that weed (more or less) consistently triggers the symptoms when it never used to, and his description is pretty much identical (albeit somewhat less severe) to what I've been through in the past. I don't mean to scare anyone or anything. Maybe "psychosis" is a bit of a scary word to use and could cause someone to leap to conclusions, but really it's no different to most other illnesses in that it can range anywhere in severity from being barely noticeable to the full on paranoid delusions and nonsensical thought patterns that people associate with it.

The main point I was trying to get across though, was that the bad trip he had may well be a bit of a red herring, and that weed is (IMO) a more likely cause.

Thanks everyone for the replies and support, you all seem to have great knowledge. I don't know much about psychosis so I can't say much for that other than it sounds a lot worse than bad anxiety. I guess I've smoked for so long and been around it that I didn't think weed could harm me mentally as I started to think it was barely a drug. It's hard to not smoke when you usually do before your feet hit the floor. I may try a light benzo if things get hard for a day or so. One of the greatest lessons I've learned is respect the dosage and don't smoke during a trip! Even though I had multiple times before, just not as heavily. I realize now I've been trying to blame that trip and or LSD when in fact I think it has been cannabis this whole time. It's been roughly 7-8 months since I've tripped. I really hope taking a break will reset everything because I love my bud. As for LSD I still have a strong passion for but will not use as often as I ever did, and for differrent reasons. Would I possible be out of this situation already if I had just taken a break right when I noticed these things happening? I'm glad not to be thinking I'm going mad and having panic attacks anymore but not being able to be around people and feel comfortable talking or just being is a daily inconvenience.

I had a stash of klonopin for a week, may I say it was great to feel myself Again, confidence and all. Even while toking heavily. I see that it just mask the problem though because the week after my anxiety seemed to double up on me. I think they could be helpful in the short term.

I'm not sure where you get psychosis from when he only mentions anxiety & depression. No need to scare anxious people even more, it doesn't sound that bad at all to me. He still needs to give weed a break for a little while before it gets worse, it sounds like weed is contributing to it. Possible he could get to full blown psychosis if he continues smoking large amounts of weed constantly, but he seems quite far away from it now & it can be reversed before it really starts. Just got to realise that weed is making the anxiety worse rather than better.

As long as it is just anxiety then a little light drinking might not hurt, just a couple of drinks can calm the anxiety from weed, a bit of confidence juice can sometimes help. I don't like suggesting worse drugs & alcohol can make depression worse, especially if you get drunk, but a couple of small drinks could take the anxious edge off it, or a light benzo - just remember they'll do more damage than weed in the long term, they're some of the most addictive drugs with the worst withdrawals around & higher amounts will be counter-productive. Whatever you do, don't get addicted to those drugs or it'll make it worse, you can't drink heavily or take benzos every day without consequences, like you can with weed. Sometimes different drugs can help if you're careful, it's an imbalance of chemicals in your brain, they will naturally rebalance after a while if you give yourself a break from weed, or if you take something to calm the anxiety it could speed up the process - just you could cause different problems if you're not careful.

Just remember it's an effect of the drugs you've taken (particularly cannabis), you haven't caused any lasting damage & you'll make a full recovery if you stop taking those drugs for a while. That should help to calm your anxiety, if you can realise it's just a mind trick played by the drugs. You're not insane, you just need to give weed a rest & you should fully recover quite quickly.

In future be careful mixing high dose psychedelics with weed, you don't need weed if you've had ~500ug lsd, it intensifies everything, adds an anxious edge & causes a lot of trip trainwrecks.

Thanks Drgreenthumb, I find very much comfort in that, makes me want to get clean and back to normal even quicker!!