View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD bottle evaporation of alcohol

ros18167

Greenlighter
I have been getting bottles of what I am told is 100 drops of acid for some time now. However, on average each bottle ends up being only 85 drops (and I've got through 10+ bottles). When I queried this I was told that this is due to evaporation of the alcohol in the bottle. The bottle is openend say 30 times and not for longer than 5-30 seconds a time (Im posting from the Uk where temperatures are rarely much above 25 degrees celsius). There is about 4ml of liquid in each bottle. The alcohol used varies from shitty rum to high proof alcohol.

Does it sound likely that evaporation of alcohol accounts for the loss of 15 drops in every bottle?

I know there are other factors such as how the pipette is squeezed ...

It sounds like your getting slightly shorted.... But if the bottle contains exactly 100 drops then you are not going to get out 100 drops because you'll never be able to suck up the last few drops.
I would think however that missing 15 is a bit much though... It's difficult to really say.
I would factor each bottle to just have 85 drops instead of 100 if that's what your consistently ending up with.
Also, the evaporation rate would depend on what type of alcohol is used. Isopropal evaporates pretty quickly but 40% ethyl alcohol (vodka)
Evaporates at a slower rate.

Is it a scientific impossibility that 15% of a 4ml alcohol solution is evaporating?

[based on the bottle only being open for maximum 10 minutes (over the course of being opened average 30 times for average 10 seconds a time) and not being exposed to high temperatures?]

There are much greater scientific minds on BL than I but I feel that even 99% isopropanol alcohol would not evaporate that much based on how little time the bottle was left open.

Wait.... The entire bottle contains only 4ml???
If so that is a tiny ammount of solvent (alcohol) if it were isopropanol then I could see it evaporating pretty quickly.
4ml is a tiny ammount of alcohol.
I think it might be feasible that some ammount of alcohol has evaporated and also factoring that you will not be able to get the last few drops out then that might very well account for the 15% missing volume.
This is partly why liquid LSD seems like a waste it's much more difficult to work with, you don't get all your chemical out of the vial and it degrades much more easily while in solution.

Seems way too high a loss for evaporation IMHO. But I want to point out that "drop" is not an accepted unit of measurement. Don't intend to sound like I'm on my high horse but if you haven't changed your technique or the pipette it sounds like you're being shorted. Can you measure the 4 milliliters of each bottle as you first open it? That would be the "acid test".

Wait.... The entire bottle contains only 4ml???
If so that is a tiny ammount of solvent (alcohol) if it were isopropanol then I could see it evaporating pretty quickly.
4ml is a tiny ammount of alcohol.
I think it might be feasible that some ammount of alcohol has evaporated and also factoring that you will not be able to get the last few drops out then that might very well account for the 15% missing volume.
This is partly why liquid LSD seems like a waste it's much more difficult to work with, you don't get all your chemical out of the vial and it degrades much more easily while in solution.
Well i have been buying bottles of liquid acid that contain 100 drops at 100ug or close to it depending on the crystal purity that measure 3.4mls. The acid is always epic and always around 100 drops. High percentage alc polish vodka is usually the solvent.

I hope you haven't thrown those bottles away without doing a wash out. A lot of LSD still exists on the inside of those little bottles once they have dried out.

Add a little more alcohol and hey presto more tripping adventures!

Be warned though, wash out trips are strong and really hard to dose. So much so that I refuse to plan any adventures into the public eye following one.

Well i have been buying bottles of liquid acid that contain 100 drops at 100ug or close to it depending on the crystal purity that measure 3.4mls. The acid is always epic and always around 100 drops. High percentage alc polish vodka is usually the solvent.
I'm extremely happy for you...

We had the students do "drops per milliliter" experiments in one of my Chem. classes and a drop is a drop is a drop just isn't accurate.
People in the class got between 15-20 drops per mil. Your drops and his drops MIGHT not be EXACTLY the same, and there may be some evap, but I believe it would be minimal.
Are you pulling the drops with a dropper? home-made or factory? syringe? What type? How big? Are you using the needle? Is liquid getting on the outside and being wasted?
What the drop drops out of WILL make a difference...Sometime a BIG difference. I am guessing that the bottle has its own dropper, but maybe not the same type, style as your source?
Lastly, why would you keep buying if you think you are being shorted? And if you like what you're getting enough to keep buying, why bitch about it?

Last edited:
so its good stuff but just consistently 10-15% short on the stated drops. Ive believed his ie for ages and told other people the lie that the alcohol is evaporating so quickly when the cap is off that by the timme youve got to the end it loses 10%-15% volume. Its not a problem, i will have a chat with him, i just wanted to check that basic proof alcohol cant evaporate that fast. thanks

What phuckingnutz said in the first line is the most critical part: drops are not all equal and not an accurate means of measurement. The amount of actual liquid of a drop emitted from a dropper is dependent on the actual dropper used. The average is 15-20 drops per ml.