View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and Wellbutrin (Bupropion)

shady4091

Bluelighter
I have a friend who really wants to try acid with us next time we drop, but she is currently taking Wellbutrin daily for depression. She's been on it for almost 3 months now. Is this a dangerous combination, or will it diminish the trip at all? She's willing to stop taking it for a while so she can drop, so if so, how long would she have to be off it for?

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showpost.php?p=1429519&postcount=3

@erowid

Bupropion may be dangerous in combination with MAO inhibitors and at least 14 days should elapse after the last dose of an MAOI is taken and the use of bupropion. Some users have reported unpleasant effects when taking psychedelics with daily doses of bupropion but other regular bupropion users have reported no adverse side effects when combined with LSD, Psilocybin Mushrooms, etc. Combinations of strong psychoactives may increase the health risks.

It seems to be okay... but I read here and there that the LSD might be a little weaker.

I seem to trip the same on wellbutrin as I did before, but everyone is different.
It only takes about a week for it to leave your system completely, but I wouldn't necessarily advise your friend to stop taking hers for that long if she suffers from depression, especially if she plans to trip on acid. That could easily end in a bad trip.
Because there are little to no withdrawal symptoms she could stop taking it for maybe a few days before so it's still present in her body, but not to the point where it would stop working entirely. Honestly though, I wouldn't even bother. She'll probably trip fine, if anything she can take a little extra. It's probably better not to mess with her meds before a trip.

In my experience, SRRIs severely diminish the effects of LSD.

Medically she will be fine, but if there are still lingering depression symptoms (if that's why the Wellbutrin was prescribed) she may be more at risk for a bad experience.

I've been on 150mg Wellbutrin SR daily for about a month and a half. I was prescribed 300mg a day but i had bad insomnia so I started taking 150mg instead >.< I haven't taken lsd on Wellbutrin, but I have taken up to 30mg of 2c-e on it and had no reduction of effects or any negative physiological reactions.

^ Wellbutrin isn't an SSRI

Correct. I think it could be called an NDRI.

I took acid twice while on bupropion...seemed to make the trip last a little longer... suppressed visuals to some degree.... welbutrin and acid were never an ideal combination ime... Nothing terrible or sinister but certainly not ideal.

It is indeed an NDRI (norepinephrine dopamine reputake inhibitor). It doesn't affect serotonin at all. Personally, it never affected anything I've taken so far, psychedelic-wise. It's wonderful (in my eyes). :)

Last edited:
the biggest category of drugs thats diminished by wellbutrin is stimulants. I've been taking wellbutrin for 4 montsh now and when i do coke it now sucks. 1/5 the effects it used to have. It's because they both interact with your seratonin. I'd say any drug that alters your seratonin will be weaker. Thats just my take on it though I'm no doctor.

I dont have experience with bupropion and LSD, but with bupropion and DMT I have. I smoked about 35mg, and tripped much harder than with 50mg. The onset was much more violent than without bupropion. And I usually dont move in DMT, but this time I did, I came down In my balconys sofa with heavy feeling in my head. Not bad experience though.. :)

EDIT: Im also in methadone maintenance, have been 6yrs. I have tapered dose to 80mg and been stabilized on it few months..

My friend has been prescribed 300mg of Wellbutrin XL daily and have been on it for over a year. He has taken LSD, mushrooms, 4-ACO-DMT/DiPt/DALT and a shit ton more and has never had a bad drug interaction to date. As someone stated earlier wellbutrin does not work on serotonin so there would be no drug interaction between the two.