• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

LSD and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

The whole experience actually disturbed me to such a degree that I dove into a bonfire and suffered 2nd and 3rd degree burns on my arm.

I'm glad you didn't get any worse than that - I realize that I'm very lucky I wasn't in a more dangerous environment when I was in that state. You might know about the guy (apparently on a lot of mescaline) who jumped into the bonfire at Element 11 a couple of years ago.

I couldn't stop thinking about the trip and what I thought it 'meant'

Yeah, that's been hard for me too. I can think about it rationally up to a point, but my mind keeps wanting to assign deeper meaning to it. I've come to realize that I must subconsciously be expecting horrible revelations because when they happen I'm more inclined to take them to be real than positive interpretations.

Let me know how the therapy works out for you. I've been looking for a therapist myself. There are few where I live, and none that seem suitable have any openings.

I think it diminishes the credibility of the idea that I - or you - are the universe, if you know what I mean

Yes, I've tried to hang on to that thought, too. And I know people have been thinking "what if everyone else is just part of my dream" for at least 2,000 years. Something I clung to in my first singularity was the idea of language. It didn't make much sense to me that I'd have invented all of English, let alone dreamed up the few other languages that I know bits and pieces of.

At a music festival once, when my trip didn't take off and I contented myself with trip sitting for others, a friend having a similar bad time came into the camp common area and said she needed a word. Something that didn't come from her head. I knew immediately what she meant. Someone yelled out "blueberries", but that was no good - something related had already come up and it tied in to what she was thinking. So I started giving her obscure and technical words that I knew she'd have no connection to. She needed the same assurance I had, that there was complexity out there beyond what was in her head, and things she didn't know and couldn't have created. It seemed to help. Like me looking at the back of the white board - I needed something new that hadn't been churning around in my head.

What I didn't mention in my last post is that at the start of the Ketamine experience, I got it in my head that I was going to be, or had been, everyone in the world, ever. If you buy into this idea it makes it harder to be reassured by the existence of others, since in that interpretation there *aren't* others and we're all different loops of the same thread.

But this is also far from a new thought. I know another friend had exactly this experience, years before I did. Thought she was going to have to be Hitler, and every other monster who had ever lived. No one knew what was going on when she started yelling about how she didn't want to murder babies.

If you want a more elaborate presentation of this idea, check out The Egg by Andy Weir. (Yeah, the guy who wrote The Martian.) In fact, stop now and read that story if you haven't already.

if I AM - or you, or anyone - is stuck in some life loop, if you will, what the fuck can we do about it anyway and how would we know for sure?

I decided that a deterministic universe would be fine with me as long as the information flow is one way. I don't think the universe is really deterministic (quantum mechanics says it's not, as I understand it, but the specifics are beyond me) but it wouldn't matter if it is as long as we can't know where it's going.

As for being stuck in a loop not mattering, it only doesn't matter if we don't know about it. The really horrible part of my loop experiences was this feeling that the nature of the loop became apparent every time at the end of the loop, and that every time I'd have, and for all eternity always had, that same rush of terror. Sometimes I would manage a tiny bit of relief that at least there were some good experiences in the loop. That was easier when I was comfortable, like when I was curled up on the papasan cushion, but acid tends to make me physically uncomfortable and that definitely tainted my feelings about going on that way for eternity.

Even when I've had some less serious loops from smoking too much, though, I've been able to recognize that my life is progressing beyond those previous points. Once it was just the fact that I had two monitors on my desk when I used to have only one that was enough for me to claw my way back to sanity.

I think that what we experienced, in all likelihood, was sheer panic in the face of an LSD-induced memory glitch combined with catastrophizing in our sheer terror and incomprehension.

I think that's a good way of putting it. One of the things I've valued most about psychedelics is a sense of immersion and connection. You've seen superhydrophobic coatings? You can dunk a coated object in water and it comes out dry. That's how I feel sometimes, when there are amazing things going on around me and it's like I just can't get wet. Psychedelics have let me feel connected and let experiences soak in in a way they wouldn't have otherwise.

The flip side is that that state has also let the bad stuff penetrate way further than it would have been able to otherwise. I'm working on dealing with that damage rather than fretting over theories of the universe that couldn't be proven anyway.

I'm curious, did you have any mental health issues prior to experiencing this?

Some depression, but that has always been largely situational. I've always considered myself very rational around grounded. I'd never had anything approaching a panic attack before.

I'm an introvert too, and an atheist. I've always lived too much in my own head. I'm a programmer and I have a very analytical mindset and I'm certain that has played a big role in my experiences. I'm always looking for the simplest, most elegant model of any system. I'm no physicist so I may butcher this, but from what I know of electromagnetism and relativity, you've got a bunch of things that look complicated and maybe unrelated from our normal perspective, but if you look at them in the right framework (Minkowski space, with Poincare transformations governing the relations of inertial frames) suddenly it all becomes tidy and consistent and (in some sense anyway) simple. That is what I expect out of the universe. Sober, I don't expect that elegant universal truth to be easily comprehended by the average human mind or we'd have figured it out by now, but that expectation of order and simplicity at the core of things is fundamental to my mindset and might account for why I was hit harder by this than most psychonauts seem to be.

I can't say I feel a stronger pull to religion. A certain kind of spirituality, maybe. One that revolves around the shared experience of being human, whether or not there's any physical reality to our connectedness.

Recently I started thinking about what it would mean to be truly immortal. How would you keep from going insane, no matter how much you had to do? (Actually, this kind of sums it up - sorry for the awful quality, it's all I could find.) The best answer I've been able to come up with is something very much like The Egg. If I was immortal and omnipotent, I might put myself through that sort of reincarnation, knowing that mortal suffering would be temporary and would make the good parts meaningful.

I said that the loop at the party got better later on. That's kind of how it felt at some points. It was like the time between those incarnations, and the new year was a metaphor and we were all celebrating the fact that the universe was OK after all. We could have our bliss and enjoy the relief from all of our worries and when we went back down into the fray it'd be because that was the only way to keep it meaningful, and there was joy in knowing that we'd come up again every time and know that it had been worth doing.

And now it's very late and I should get to bed. I'll try to remember to check back here more than once a year. And if you happen to be going to Burning Man, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up and talk.

"I'm glad you didn't get any worse than that - I realize that I'm very lucky I wasn't in a more dangerous environment when I was in that state. You might know about the guy (apparently on a lot of mescaline) who jumped into the bonfire at Element 11 a couple of years ago."

I heard of that incident through the grapevine of my psychonaut friends but was skeptical of its veracity. Less so now, after my own experience and hearing of it again from you. Psychedelics can be powerful tools, and can be misused like any other. Part of the objective in recounting my experience is to warn others of the danger. It's so important to be in a calm, comforting environment and away from anything dangerous - like fire - and to be of sound mind before partaking. I wish I had known this prior to my bad trip, but I viewed it as a recreational activity and little more (my first trip was fantastic). It was irresponsible of me and I just hope others are more mindful.

"
Let me know how the therapy works out for you. I've been looking for a therapist myself. There are few where I live, and none that seem suitable have any openings."

My therapist has recommended EMDR to help in processing the events but it seems a little gimmicky to me. Alas, I think she would know better than I would, so I'm going to suppress my skepticism this time and see what happens. I've kind of been employing my own exposure therapy to it since the event, intentionally and unintentionally, by thinking about it so much. Now I'm deliberately trying to get comfortable again with concepts like infinity and whatnot. I've been afraid of getting flashbacks but so far so good. Though, I do get the occasional mild anxiety attacks. It's gotten easier, however, so I'm optimistic.

One thing that instilled some confidence in my about her was that when I told her the gist of the trip, that I was essentially everything and that there was no external reality outside of my own head, she said, "You must have felt very lonely." I thought it was a really astute observation, because I DID feel intensely lonely, and have had periods of extended loneliness throughout my life. To me, it was the simplest explanation for why I experienced what I did, but it might have been lost on many others was I to try to explain it to them.

I will keep you posted on the therapy, and good luck in your own search.

"At a music festival once, when my trip didn't take off and I contented myself with trip sitting for others, a friend having a similar bad time came into the camp common area and said she needed a word. Something that didn't come from her head. I knew immediately what she meant. Someone yelled out "blueberries", but that was no good - something related had already come up and it tied in to what she was thinking. So I started giving her obscure and technical words that I knew she'd have no connection to. She needed the same assurance I had, that there was complexity out there beyond what was in her head, and things she didn't know and couldn't have created. It seemed to help. Like me looking at the back of the white board - I needed something new that hadn't been churning around in my head."

I've heard of various strategies for 'anchoring' yourself to reality when a trip goes bad, like looking at the time periodically to note its change. Related, but one concept that's helped me anchor myself post-trip has been the idea that if everyone has a brain that can be shown by our best measurements to operate in the same fashion as my own, as in subject to the same chemistry and physics, why would they be a figment of my own imagination? How could they not exist consciously in the same way I do? It's a no-brainer, really, (pun intended) but the thought has helped me. Similarly, under the right circumstances, why wouldn't they be capable of experiencing the same thing you and I did?

"As for being stuck in a loop not mattering, it only doesn't matter if we don't know about it. The really horrible part of my loop experiences was this feeling that the nature of the loop became apparent every time at the end of the loop, and that every time I'd have, and for all eternity always had, that same rush of terror. Sometimes I would manage a tiny bit of relief that at least there were some good experiences in the loop. That was easier when I was comfortable, like when I was curled up on the papasan cushion, but acid tends to make me physically uncomfortable and that definitely tainted my feelings about going on that way for eternity."

This really speaks to me of the importance of comfort. Acid has that same effect on me - makes me physically uneasy - and that compounded by the relatively cold temperature I was in while deep in the forest around Mt. Hood without a coat, really it should be of no surprise that I had a bad trip with a theme of extreme discomfort, both physically and mentally, and less of a surprise, as well, that I jumped into the heat of the fire in an attempt to escape it.

"I'm an introvert too, and an atheist. I've always lived too much in my own head. I'm a programmer and I have a very analytical mindset and I'm certain that has played a big role in my experiences. I'm always looking for the simplest, most elegant model of any system. I'm no physicist so I may butcher this, but from what I know of electromagnetism and relativity, you've got a bunch of things that look complicated and maybe unrelated from our normal perspective, but if you look at them in the right framework (Minkowski space, with Poincare transformations governing the relations of inertial frames) suddenly it all becomes tidy and consistent and (in some sense anyway) simple. That is what I expect out of the universe. Sober, I don't expect that elegant universal truth to be easily comprehended by the average human mind or we'd have figured it out by now, but that expectation of order and simplicity at the core of things is fundamental to my mindset and might account for why I was hit harder by this than most psychonauts seem to be."

We sound like kindred spirits, my friend. I've always been preoccupied with philosophical and metaphysical questions, constantly pondering the nature of the universe, God (should such a being exist), and such. It's much harder to do that now, but I think I'm progressing. I'm no genius, but I've always felt a compulsion to try to understand things. Not all questions are within my purview of interest, but I was always tearing things apart as a child to try to understand how they work. When my mom would buy me toys, especially RC cars, I'd play with it as any other kid would for a while, but it would invariably end up in pieces, the electric motor tied to some battery array and some contraption on its shaft, like tape to make a fan during the summer or something.

Funny, I also work in IT! Not a programmer, though. I can program but I could never do it for a living. You are a special breed, good sir.

"I can't say I feel a stronger pull to religion. A certain kind of spirituality, maybe. One that revolves around the shared experience of being human, whether or not there's any physical reality to our connectedness."

I feel extremely conflicted in my gravitation toward religion as an atheist. I imagine much of it comes from thinking I was in hell at first, but perhaps I'm just searching for a deeper meaning of life than what my experience seemed to suggest to me, or perhaps my fear has overridden my rationality and allowed that so-called 'God gene' to express itself more strongly. Religion notwithstanding, I've also felt somewhat more spiritual, and I think I've been more accepting and less judgmental toward people. Perhaps the thought that people are a part of me, however terrifying that thought was to me in the way I experienced it, has something to do with this. I've been reading and watching videos about NDEs a lot, and also videos of peoples' accounts of ego loss while tripping. What I've noticed is that they'll sometimes talk about experiencing infinity, but it's always in a very positive light. Hard for me to understand, but maybe my view of it is simply distorted now.

"Recently I started thinking about what it would mean to be truly immortal. How would you keep from going insane, no matter how much you had to do? (Actually, this kind of sums it up - sorry for the awful quality, it's all I could find.) The best answer I've been able to come up with is something very much like The Egg. If I was immortal and omnipotent, I might put myself through that sort of reincarnation, knowing that mortal suffering would be temporary and would make the good parts meaningful."

Hear, hear. I've been on that same train of thought, as well. I read The Egg years ago and I wonder if that didn't inform my trip. My tendency is to think that being God would be an immensely lonely existence, but if God is omnipotent, couldn't God just will itself into constant bliss, like the bliss people report to experience after NDEs? I suppose it doesn't explain why we're here and suffering, though, and this, of course, assumes that there's only one God. More philosophical questions I'll probably never have an answer to!

As for Burning Man, totally not my kind of shindig, but I do have a lot of friends who go. I've heard its gotten extremely commercial, lost touch with its more spiritual roots, and that the demographic has shifted somewhat from your hippie types to the more party-hardy types looking for a 'good time'.

However, if you're not too far from Portland or you happen to venture over yonder at some point, I would be down for hanging out! We can have a heated debate about which one of us is real. :)

Last edited:
I know it’s been 6 years since this was posted but I could almost cry reading your post. the exact same thing is happening to me and I was wondering what you did to get out of that feeling? it’s really hard for me to control and it’s been happening on and off for 6 months. I just want to get past this would love some advice thanks.

I know it’s been 6 years since this was posted but I could almost cry reading your post. the exact same thing is happening to me and I was wondering what you did to get out of that feeling? it’s really hard for me to control and it’s been happening on and off for 6 months. I just want to get past this would love some advice thanks.

You'll be fine. I know it's hard to believe, but you will. It's been almost a year and a half since my experience and I'm doing a lot better. I don't know if I'll ever be completely over the incident, but I'm coping and can even enjoy my life most of the time. (I say most of the time because I'm a naturally depressed person. Dysthymic.) Realize that it will be up and down for some months, between paranoia and dissociation, and then back to some semblance of normality. But this is normal and just a part of the process of healing.

Here are 5 things I've done that have helped me tremendously:

1. Therapy; get therapy. Whatever kind of therapy that sounds good to you, get it. I did several months of EMDR and it has helped.
2. Get on anti-depressants if you feel you need them. I got on Wellbutrin.
3. Exercise. This is important. Don't neglect it. It's a natural anti-depressant and arguably works better than pharmaceuticals. If you're doing it right, there's nothing but positive side effects, and it's something to focus your mind on.
4. If you have a hobby, dive into it. Lose yourself. If not, find something that interests you and is preferably a social activity, and do it.
5. Get out and be social, but avoid alcohol when you can.

Start anywhere on this list and start wherever you want, even if it's the easiest for you. I started with anti-depressants. The rest will come easier as you progress.

Another thing you might want to incorporate is improving your diet. I haven't tried this but I can imagine the benefits are there. Natural supplements like Vitamin D are said to be able to boost mood, as well. I take it but perhaps not regularly enough to notice a benefit.

Finally, remember: you're not alone. Despite how lonely you felt in that experience and how terrifying it was, others have also experienced it, and you will get better.

Yeah, I've been through the flashbacks / PTSD effect from a terrifying trip and I can tell you that it heals to the point where life returns to normal. I couldn't sleep for almost 5 months, every night I would feel like I was tripping balls but with extreme anxiety, head pounding and even some slightly psychotic symptoms. There are several things your doctor might prescribe you to help, i used zolpidem (a sleep aid) because for me the situation manifested itself mostly in sleep deprivation. You might find anti-depressants or other things useful. Mostly though have a balanced diet, maybe magnesium supplements & vitamins, exercise (particularly rhythmic stuff), prayer, seeing people & loaaads of therapy until you can think about everything that happened with absolute clarity, and not be afraid of talking about anything. Also maybe with a therapist you could try EMDR techniques.

If you feel like crying you should absolutely cry. Your situation sucks and crying helps get rid of toxins.

I watched loads of tearjerkers and listened to so much depressing music until I cried myself back to a state of normality. Thought loops can be a result of getting a bit disconnected from your emotions, so you could try find things which make you FEEL shit again, thinking too much isn't great but since you cant control it you shouldn't fight it, just try to redirect it by talking to yourself.

I promise you that one day you'll regain ownership of your mind and be calm again :)